Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 09:17 PM

170 posts, read 106,427 times

Advertisements

So for a while there's been a rather large argument about whether or not the Jewish people are of a genetically related ethnicity (similar to how Italians or Germans are) or if Jewish people are simply only members of an otherwise unrelated religion (similar to Christianity, Islam, etc).

Atheists like I usually believe that we are a genetic ethnicity. But more religious Jews seem to object and rather believe that Jews are a religion, and anyone can become a Jew.

I found a video that defends the genetic ethnicity side. It's about an archaeogenetic scientific study that proves the genetic relation of Jews around the world, and their genetic affiliation to the Middle East.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNPDefkOfi8

After watching this video, regardless of what you believe, what is your opinion on this topic?

Last edited by D231; 08-05-2016 at 09:34 PM..

Old 08-06-2016, 08:47 PM

467 posts, read 352,922 times
Didn't watch the video.

Judaism is a religion.

Jewish people are a people, IMO governed by religious rules that not all Jews follow.

There are some obvious genetic relations, and more than one strain among our widely scattered people. Since we are governed by religious rules, there are converts with NO genetic relation. There are also those who are born of ONE Jewish parent. By religious rules, which are ethnic rules, some are Jewish and some aren't. This is probably not obvious genetically, at least not in all cases.

Last edited by Call; 08-06-2016 at 09:17 PM..

Old 08-06-2016, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
Didn't watch the video.

Judaism is a religion.

Jewish people are a people, IMO governed by religious rules that not all Jews follow.

There are some obvious genetic relations, and more than one strain among our widely scattered people. Since we are governed by religious rules, there are converts with NO genetic relation. There are also those who are born of ONE Jewish parent. By religious rules, which are ethnic rules, some are Jewish and some aren't. This is probably not obvious genetically, at least not in all cases.
The fact that you chose not to watch the video only further proves that you're closed minded and stubborn to hear an opinion other than what Rebbe Moishe parrots.

Genetic Jews are always Jewish people, but Jewish people are not always a part of Judaism.

It's not really much of a scattered genetics of people. Ashkenazi Jews started from a few hundred people who emigrated from the Middle East, then continued living in one community. There's a reason that the average Jew shares more or less 60-70% of their DNA with Palestinians.

If Italians decided to make an "Italian religion", would they still be genetically Italian, or does their religion that hypothetically says that anyone can become Italian give them reason that they are not genetically related?

Religious rules are not ethnic rules. They are unnecessary rules. If you are born to at least one parent whose genetics dictate that they are Jewish, then by science you are Jewish. Again, I have no real problem with religion. That is until it starts to deny science. Then that's when I call out the chaloymus.

Old 08-07-2016, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D231 View Post
The fact that you chose not to watch the video only further proves that you're closed minded and stubborn to hear an opinion other than what Rebbe Moishe parrots.
No, it couldn't possibly; I don't even know who your "Rebbe Moishe" is. Although I don't have seven minutes for every video some stranger with fixed ideas wants me to view, I went back and viewed some of the video. Nothing new, and irrelevant to this discussion. Some of the video was interesting, and appears to confirm the genetic relation of Ashkenazic Jews, but that is not exactly the topic of our discussion. The definition of a Jew, whatever it might be, predates knowledge of DNA by wwell over three thousand years.
Quote:

Genetic Jews are always Jewish people, but Jewish people are not always a part of Judaism.
False. That's your definition, but you're not in chargte.
Quote:

It's not really much of a scattered genetics of people. Ashkenazi Jews started from a few hundred people who emigrated from the Middle East, then continued living in one community. There's a reason that the average Jew shares more or less 60-70% of their DNA with Palestinians.
What's a "Palestinean?" How would you know you (or anyone else) were looking at one? And why do you keep saying "Ashkenazi Jews?" Why are ignoring all the Sephardim and Temanim and others?
Quote:

If Italians decided to make an "Italian religion", would they still be genetically Italian, or does their religion that hypothetically says that anyone can become Italian give them reason that they are not genetically related?

Religious rules are not ethnic rules.
Yes, they are, in our ethnos.
Quote:

They are unnecessary rules. If you are born to at least one parent whose genetics dictate that they are Jewish, then by science you are Jewish.
No, "science" does not define who is Jewish. Nor do you, except for yourself.
Quote:

Again, I have no real problem with religion. That is until it starts to deny science. Then that's when I call out the chaloymus.
I'm not so sure how much science you know. I know that I don't know much, but I'm aware of that. You might want to take at look at your knowledge level.

Old 08-07-2016, 04:47 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
No, it couldn't possibly; I don't even know who your "Rebbe Moishe" is. Although I don't have seven minutes for every video some stranger with fixed ideas wants me to view, I went back and viewed some of the video. Nothing new, and irrelevant to this discussion. Some of the video was interesting, and appears to confirm the genetic relation of Ashkenazic Jews, but that is not exactly the topic of our discussion. The definition of a Jew, whatever it might be, predates knowledge of DNA by wwell over three thousand years.False. That's your definition, but you're not in chargte.What's a "Palestinean?" How would you know you (or anyone else) were looking at one? And why do you keep saying "Ashkenazi Jews?" Why are ignoring all the Sephardim and Temanim and others?Yes, they are, in our ethnos.No, "science" does not define who is Jewish. Nor do you, except for yourself.

I'm not so sure how much science you know. I know that I don't know much, but I'm aware of that. You might want to take at look at your knowledge level.
Italians in northern Italy are Germans...

Old 08-07-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
By science, by religion, or by D231?

D231: Does science tell us who is an American? a Frenchman?

Old 08-07-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
By science, by religion, or by D231?

D231: Does science tell us who is an American? a Frenchman?
Yes, DNA tests very much so tell you if you are American or a Frenchman or any ethnicity for that matter.

Technically, you are only American if you're of Native American ancestry.
Technically, you are only French if you are of French ancestry.
And technically, you are only Jewish if you are of Jewish ancestry.

Genetic testing is a marvel of science.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
*There are Italians who are mixed with German ancestry as well.

If an ethnic Italian from any part of Italy took a genetic test, they would almost certainly have Italian genetics to at least some percentage. It's very hard to find an ethnic German who is multigenerational Italian.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:20 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D231 View Post
And you quick to call people names. This is offensive statement. I'd have apologized if I were you.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:31 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
OP, you need to clarify terminology of your question.
One can be of any race or ethnicity and become Jewish. As in - follower of Judaism. There is a specific protocol for this and then that person may be accepted into Jewish community following Judaism.

But!

One will NEVER become a JEW if one was not born to a Jew mother. According to Law of Hallakha, a Jew should marry only a Jew and vice versa. A child NOT born to a Jew mother is not considered a Jew. A child born to a Jew mother but not to a Jew father, is considered a Jew but with great concern as it is believed that in 2nd or 3rd generation, that child will lose his Jewishness.
It is believed that this has to do with mitochondrial DNA transferred by maternal line. Whatever. There are much deeper reasons but for lay public this one will do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism