U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 09:15 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,339,069 times

Advertisements

So my oldest son left about a month ago to sit and learn in yeshiva. He's 14 years old, but having lived an entire life of Torah, he's already like an old soul. His school day starts with Shacharis at 7:40am and doesn't end until night Seder concludes at 8:45pm. While at yeshiva he may never learn what year the battle of 1812 occurred in, he will learn how to learn - something practically no other school teaches.

To say I'm a proud father would be an understatement. My wife and I think we have to go back 5 generations in our family to find a relative who left home as a teen to sit and learn. My son's Rosh Yeshiva is a talmud of Rav Nosson Tzvi Finkel, and our family Rav is a talmud of Rav Pam. I'd like to think hashkofically our family is in good hands.

My oldest and I are both learning the same perek of the same mesechta right now (he in Yeshiva and me in daf haYomi). He told over the first mishna in the first perek to me last night, with all the Rashi's and Tosofos. I've decided that when he comes home for Succos, that I'll insist he enters all rooms before me (he's always been careful to allow me to enter first as a sign of respect).

He has nothing to do in his life right now but learn. His entire life's needs are provided for right now (and thanks to Amazon Prime, we can cater to his every need). Just sit and learn. Make the most of this opportunity. And make his parents and himself proud. It feels like a full, 100% realization of his G-d given potential.

This forum is often so full of strangeness and anger. I just wanted to share my incalculable joy at seeing my son carry on this 3,000 year old Jewish tradition of sending your child away to learn with the Torah giants of the generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 10:17 PM

27,956 posts, read 15,043,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
So my oldest son left about a month ago to sit and learn in yeshiva. He's 14 years old, but having lived an entire life of Torah, he's already like an old soul. His school day starts with Shacharis at 7:40am and doesn't end until night Seder concludes at 8:45pm. While at yeshiva he may never learn what year the battle of 1812 occurred in, he will learn how to learn - something practically no other school teaches.

To say I'm a proud father would be an understatement. My wife and I think we have to go back 5 generations in our family to find a relative who left home as a teen to sit and learn. My son's Rosh Yeshiva is a talmud of Rav Nosson Tzvi Finkel, and our family Rav is a talmud of Rav Pam. I'd like to think hashkofically our family is in good hands.

My oldest and I are both learning the same perek of the same mesechta right now (he in Yeshiva and me in daf haYomi). He told over the first mishna in the first perek to me last night, with all the Rashi's and Tosofos. I've decided that when he comes home for Succos, that I'll insist he enters all rooms before me (he's always been careful to allow me to enter first as a sign of respect).

He has nothing to do in his life right now but learn. His entire life's needs are provided for right now (and thanks to Amazon Prime, we can cater to his every need). Just sit and learn. Make the most of this opportunity. And make his parents and himself proud. It feels like a full, 100% realization of his G-d given potential.

This forum is often so full of strangeness and anger. I just wanted to share my incalculable joy at seeing my son carry on this 3,000 year old Jewish tradition of sending your child away to learn with the Torah giants of the generation.
Mazel Tov!...

Old 09-20-2016, 07:06 AM

13,092 posts, read 13,685,110 times
Mazel Tov! How good is our portion, how pleasant our lot! Reading this made my day.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:53 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,385,836 times
Congratulations and mazel tov, TFF.
I hope you all learn and grow together.

Old 09-23-2016, 04:30 PM

His rebbe just called to say he's working hard and doing well. Baruch hashem. Right now I have so much gratitude to Hakadosh Baruch Hu going into Shabbos. Again, I just wanted to share my happiness in hopes it brings a little light into the shabbos homes of my fellow yidden. Good Shabbos all.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:30 PM

13,092 posts, read 13,685,110 times
Baruch Hashem. Shabbat Shalom. Yes, this brings much happiness. Thank you. Torah scholars bring peace to the world. I am happy and proud and excited and delighted. And oh the joy this brings to Hashem! And brilliant light in the heavenly realms! The updates are wonderful, thank you for sharing this with us.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:38 PM

646 posts, read 345,602 times
This might be a bit random, but I am curious if your son is still having a good time at yeshivah?

Old 01-09-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliksder View Post
This might be a bit random, but I am curious if your son is still having a good time at yeshivah?
Thanks for asking. I'm blown away by the positive changes I see in him when he comes back to visit. Baruch HaShem he's doing great. He was home for Chanukah, and I found myself admiring the young man he's become.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:17 AM

27,956 posts, read 15,043,765 times
Quote:
Thanks for asking. I'm blown away by the positive changes I see in him when he comes back to visit. Baruch HaShem he's doing great. He was home for Chanukah, and I found myself admiring the young man he's become.
I am glad for you...The more one delves into Torah the more mature in thought and action they become...

Old 06-25-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
His first year is complete. The boy comes home this week. First thru eighth grade he was one of the weakest Gamara students in his class. Now with a year of solid learning under his belt, his love for learning appears solid as a rock, and his skills have improved immensely. Now I get him at home for 2 months, where he, his younger brother and I all plan to learn the Gamara his younger brother will be learning in school next year. Sort of pre-learning to stack the odds in his favor. Baruch HaShem. This is what all truly matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or