Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 01:21 AM

127 posts, read 101,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
I was thinking of the Hopi, the Dineh', the Amish.
I was thinking of the Swedes, the Germans, the English so we're talking about the same thing.

Quote:
Judaism is a religion. It is all over the world and includes people of many different races and nationalities. Here, take a look:

10 Photos To Remind You That Jews Don't Fit Stereotypes
Scientology is a religion. So is Christianity and Islam. I'm not sure what your point is here. I had asked if it was antisemitic to refuse to eat food that has been prepared by Jews or purchase goods from a Jewish owned business because they are not Christians, or Scientologists, or Satanists or whatever. You said it was not. There are many reasons why somebody would not want to interact with Jews without being antisemitic. You further said that it was not racist for somebody to want to preserve a White Christian culture if they find meaning and value in that culture. So we're in agreement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 05:52 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,651 times
This is getting ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Howdy View Post
So if you overheard two gentiles talking and one of them said "No, I don't want to go to the deli across the street from the synagogue. I know they bake their bread fresh daily but, unfortunately, it's owned by a Jewish family and I've seen men with yarmulkes working the cash register. I'm not prejudiced against Jews or anything like that; it's just that I don't want to buy anything from Jews and I certainly don't want Jews preparing any of the food I eat. If we did that, Jews might feel like they're part of our community and then, you know, one of them might might to marry my daughter."

So what would you think? anti-Semitic? pro-Semetic? or Semitic-neutral?
I fault the person who asked the offensive question, rather than the person who answered it.

And it's based on a flaw.

So it makes it even tough to answer a false analogy.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:32 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Howdy View Post
... I had asked if it was antisemitic to refuse to eat food that has been prepared by Jews or purchase goods from a Jewish owned business ...
There are also plenty of Jews who don't eat food prepared by other Jews including their own family members. And there are plenty of Jews who don't patronize Jewish owned businesses. Because it does not meet their standards of kashrut (food guidelines )

And there are Jews who have plenty to say about the type of Jew they want their daughter to marry, based on for instance level of observance, education, character, kashrut, family background, how many hours a week he studies Torah, to name a few.

When you look at things only through your own preconceived notions of what things mean to you and how they should be done, they do not take into accoumt why they may be done differently by someone else.

For instance in western culture it is seen as respectful to make eye contact and if someone refuses to make eye contact it is a sign they are lying, dishonest, deceitful, hiding something. Not to be trusted. However there are cultures where direct eye contact is seen as offensive, rude, insulting, an aggressive violation, and a deliberate show of disrespect. The same behavior means exactly the opposite to people trying to interact. See how this can lead to difficulties?

Have you ever in your job for instance gone through any training around cultural sensitivity or working with people from different cultures? That's kind of what you're bumping up against, so you would benefit from that. Understanding is incomplete without learning and acknowledging how and why others do things differently.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-01-2016 at 11:07 AM..

Old 12-01-2016, 12:09 PM

467 posts, read 352,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
This is getting ridiculous.

I fault the person who asked the offensive question, rather than the person who answered it.

And it's based on a flaw.

So it makes it even tough to answer a false analogy.
What's wrong with Captain Howdy's analogy? Or his question, for that matter? The concern over bishul akum (cooking by star worshippers) is a concern over intermarriage.

Defend it or don't.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
What's wrong with Captain Howdy's analogy? Or his question, for that matter? The concern over bishul akum (cooking by star worshippers) is a concern over intermarriage.

Defend it or don't.
What makes sense to me, is if people purposely don't want to be a customer at X, is if they don't want X to prosper as a business. Whether they're Democrat or Republican, Windows or Apple, shouldn't matter.

I know people who purposely don't ever use BP gas stations, because they're against BP politically. So they try to avoid putting gas in their car from BP gas stations. They feel BP doesn't deserve their money.

If an atheist opens up a store (even a barbershop) and it was titled Store of Atheism or blah blah, the unethical way isn't to lobby the government to close the store. It's to lobby customers from being customers in their store, which forces them to lose business.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post

Defend it or don't.
It's interesting how far reaching something like keeping kosher food turns out to be. On the surface it's ok eat this not that. But once I started doing this, I was amazed at the many other behaviors it affected. In doing the mitzvah I could see how beautifully it built fences in so many other areas and how far sighted and smart our sages are.

For instance at work i don't go to the break room any more which means I don't get pulled into the office gossip and office drama, and I am protected from lashon hara. There is much more peace in my life and thoughts because of this. I dont go out with people from work to socialize or eat and so dont have to deal with the drinking and flirting and unwelcome advances. Right there is where food leads to intermarriage; food, socialize, hang out, flirtimg, dating, affairs, groping, marriage.

So it builds a fence around preventing violations in the area of intimate relationships too. And since I don't eat in the break room at work, but go outside instead to sit in my truck or on a bench, I have 30- 60 minutes every day to study Torah, so that is a positive effect.

All simply by starting to eat kosher food. Our sages were very smart. Also it illustrated the we will do and we will hear. Do the mitzvah first and in doing it you will hear and understand more about its importance and it's far reaching purpose, benefits, effects.

Also people are more respectful and accepting. Before, when I declined invitations to be with people from work or would go sit in my car and read, people viewed it as aloof, snobby, anti-social, they took it personally. Now that I have the "excuse" of keeping kosher, people are fine with it. They don't question it, and there is respect. That was an unexpected pleasant surprise.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-01-2016 at 01:21 PM..

Old 12-01-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
What makes sense to me, is if people purposely don't want to be a customer at X, is if they don't want X to prosper as a business. Whether they're Democrat or Republican, Windows or Apple, shouldn't matter.

If an atheist opens up a store (even a barbershop) and it was titled Store of Atheism or blah blah, the unethical way isn't to lobby the government to close the store. It's to lobby customers from being customers in their store, which forces them to lose business.
There is nothing unethical about voting with our time and voting with our money. Are you saying it's unethical? That makes no sense to me. In the same way I choose not to be employed by certain industries. I will not show support for something that violates my standards. That to me is a very congruent ethical way to behave, that what is in my heart and mind is expressed in my actions. It is how to avoid hypocrisy and double standard.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
There is nothing unethical about voting with our time and voting with our money. Are you saying it's unethical? That makes no sense to me. In the same way I choose not to be employed by certain industries. I will not show support for something that violates my standards. That to me is a very congruent ethical way to behave, that what is in my heart and mind is expressed in my actions. It is how to avoid hypocrisy and double standard.
So if somebody opens up a grocery store called "Grocery Store of Atheism" what do you think could be done other than to not shop and ask all your friends/community to not shop?

Right, nothing wrong with who you want to vote for.

I personally don't want to be employed for a company that requires overtime. Companies like that sound cheap to me. And I think such a company will always be successful for as long as there are those willing to work in those conditions.

Just like I don't want a minimum wage job with my college degree. But if other people who have a master's degree, are willing to work that minimum wage job, who am I to stop them? Because if everyone decided to not work that job due to it's wage, then that forces the company to do something about it.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:21 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,085,674 times
OP, does not mater to me in the least. As long as they are not to behead me...just don't care.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
So if somebody opens up a grocery store called "Grocery Store of Atheism" what do you think could be done other than to not shop and ask all your friends/community to not shop?
It's a free market place. I don't try to shut down amyones business. I simply don't shop there. Judaism does not protest or criticize or attack other religions. Trying to close a business is not the same as not shopping there. One is an intent to attack and do harm to someone financially. The other is simply choosing where to spend my money.

I'm still not sure what you're getting at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism