Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 02:50 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,013,938 times

Advertisements

This is a query because of a comment on another thread...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 04:20 PM

2,675 posts, read 1,262,453 times
history - Has the Torah been changed over the ages? - Mi Yodeya

Old 02-27-2017, 04:29 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,418,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
This is a query because of a comment on another thread...
Oh, you read that one too - that was pretty vile.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:45 PM

245 posts, read 311,011 times
You don't KNOW anything. There are some arguments that you either find convincing or you don't. The Orthodox argument is often called the "Kuzari Argument." Look up Rabbi Lawrence Keleman. He has written several books and has done several youtube lectures about it. Basically, it says that we know the Torah (and Oral Torah) are perfect because there was a national revelation at Mt. Sinai and that tradition has been passed down from father to son for 3,000 years unbroken. It would be impossible to suddenly introduce such a story at a random point in history because your parents would say it's all BS 'cause they never heard of it. That makes it different from an individual prophet's revelation where you just have to trust him when he says that God spoke to him in a vision. This is then followed up with the idea that every Torah scroll today is carefully matched to prior Torah's letter-for-letter. Therefore, this is continuing the Tradition of perfect transmission to the next generation. (Also, based on Deuteronomy 17 where it says to obey the "judges in your time", we're supposedly able to rely on perfect rabbinic councils to have decided on the rest of the later books.)

This is problematic though because the rest of Tanakh after Torah is basically a long explanation of how virtually all the Jews forgot about Moses (Judges Chapter 2) and generally ignored the prophets for hundreds of years until after the Babylonian exile when Ezra sets them straight. (Nehemiah chapter 8) So you could easily speculate that a powerful leader like Ezra just imposed his view of history by selectively choosing the texts that he liked. Additionally, we know that there were slightly variant version of the Tanakh, one of which was the Septuagint and the Masoretic text is another (which we use today.) The totally secular position would go as far as to say that it's all just made up as a way to control the population.

I personally believe in the middle road. The famous Rabbi Heschel said that the Bible is a work of both God and Man. That is also the position of Conservative Judaism. I agree. I believe that the prophets have predicted highly unlikely things that have already come true or appear ready to come true. And that the Bible is an amazing work that contains timeless moral truths despite the fact that it was written during such barbaric and ancient periods.

However, I don't believe the Bible is letter-for-letter perfect. I find many of the tenets of the Documentary Hypothesis to be convincing. It is taught as a fact in all secular universities and in Conservative and Reform Rabbinical schools. Combine that with comments in the earliest rabbinic literature that Ezra the Scribe had a role in finalizing the text after the Babylonian Exile, and it is hard to completely ignore it. God did make imperfect people after all, including his chosen messengers. So it's not outlandish to propose that the message itself might have gotten a little garbled. Accepting that isn't an excuse to throw it all away; it just makes things a little hazier.

Last edited by slapshotbob99; 02-27-2017 at 10:02 PM..

Old 02-28-2017, 02:58 AM

145 posts, read 98,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbob99 View Post
You don't KNOW anything. There are some arguments that you either find convincing or you don't. The Orthodox argument is often called the "Kuzari Argument." Look up Rabbi Lawrence Keleman. He has written several books and has done several youtube lectures about it. Basically, it says that we know the Torah (and Oral Torah) are perfect because there was a national revelation at Mt. Sinai and that tradition has been passed down from father to son for 3,000 years unbroken. It would be impossible to suddenly introduce such a story at a random point in history because your parents would say it's all BS 'cause they never heard of it. That makes it different from an individual prophet's revelation where you just have to trust him when he says that God spoke to him in a vision. This is then followed up with the idea that every Torah scroll today is carefully matched to prior Torah's letter-for-letter. Therefore, this is continuing the Tradition of perfect transmission to the next generation. (Also, based on Deuteronomy 17 where it says to obey the "judges in your time", we're supposedly able to rely on perfect rabbinic councils to have decided on the rest of the later books.)

This is problematic though because the rest of Tanakh after Torah is basically a long explanation of how virtually all the Jews forgot about Moses (Judges Chapter 2) and generally ignored the prophets for hundreds of years until after the Babylonian exile when Ezra sets them straight. (Nehemiah chapter 8) So you could easily speculate that a powerful leader like Ezra just imposed his view of history by selectively choosing the texts that he liked. Additionally, we know that there were slightly variant version of the Tanakh, one of which was the Septuagint and the Masoretic text is another (which we use today.) The totally secular position would go as far as to say that it's all just made up as a way to control the population.

I personally believe in the middle road. The famous Rabbi Heschel said that the Bible is a work of both God and Man. That is also the position of Conservative Judaism. I agree. I believe that the prophets have predicted highly unlikely things that have already come true or appear ready to come true. And that the Bible is an amazing work that contains timeless moral truths despite the fact that it was written during such barbaric and ancient periods.

However, I don't believe the Bible is letter-for-letter perfect. I find many of the tenets of the Documentary Hypothesis to be convincing. It is taught as a fact in all secular universities and in Conservative and Reform Rabbinical schools. Combine that with comments in the earliest rabbinic literature that Ezra the Scribe had a role in finalizing the text after the Babylonian Exile, and it is hard to completely ignore it. God did make imperfect people after all, including his chosen messengers. So it's not outlandish to propose that the message itself might have gotten a little garbled. Accepting that isn't an excuse to throw it all away; it just makes things a little hazier.
\

In which rabbinic texts

Old 02-28-2017, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Oh, you read that one too - that was pretty vile.
The one about the Jews changing the Torah after the fact?...Yea, pretty vile...

Old 02-28-2017, 03:11 AM

Quote:
You don't KNOW anything.
Me?...I am asking because of what was posted on another thread...So, calm down...

Old 02-28-2017, 03:18 AM

Quote:

So, what are you saying?...Jesus Christ could have been the Mashiach?...

Old 02-28-2017, 04:06 AM

2,675 posts, read 1,262,453 times
Quote:
So, what are you saying?...Jesus Christ could have been the Mashiach?...
I don't see how that conclusion follows the premises laid down in the text you are responding to.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:15 AM

245 posts, read 311,011 times
Quote:
Me?...I am asking because of what was posted on another thread...So, calm down...
Sorry. I didn't mean specifically you-you. I meant it in the generic rhetorical "you." As in people generally. Most people seem to mix up "know" and "believe" constantly. This seems especially bad when talking about religion and ancient history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism