U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-13-2017, 12:09 PM
 
5 posts, read 3,835 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

hi I'm not Jewish but I feel a connection to Israel and the Jewish people. I also feel drawn to Judaism. I want to read as many books as I can about Judaism, Jewish history and the nation of Israel. I sometimes buy Israeli products from Kroger to support Israel. I think it is important to support Israel in any way that I can. Why do I feel this kind of connection? is this normal? This might be kind of a silly question or stupid question but I honestly want to know what people think about this.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-13-2017, 01:12 PM
 
Location: No
467 posts, read 251,669 times
Reputation: 369
It's certainly not a silly question, but my own opinion is that most people will be just as puzzled as you are. And you know more about it (the situation, meaning, partly, your own background) than they do.

Probably it is partly the product of being brought up in a country where the Bible is held in such reverence.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2017, 01:14 PM
 
Location: NJ
1,378 posts, read 493,994 times
Reputation: 590
You might feel that, in time and with learning, you wish to formalize some sort of connection with Judaism through conversion, but until then, it might just be that you have a respect for the religion and that elements of it resonate with you and that's great! This could be part of a separate religious bent that you have or it might be a unique draw because Judaism, for some reason, echoes something you feel inside.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2017, 03:09 PM
 
Location: US
27,954 posts, read 15,039,743 times
Reputation: 1734
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
You might feel that, in time and with learning, you wish to formalize some sort of connection with Judaism through conversion, but until then, it might just be that you have a respect for the religion and that elements of it resonate with you and that's great! This could be part of a separate religious bent that you have or it might be a unique draw because Judaism, for some reason, echoes something you feel inside.
He could be a long lost Jew...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2017, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Chicago
1,769 posts, read 1,438,975 times
Reputation: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazakazakaza View Post
hi I'm not Jewish but I feel a connection to Israel and the Jewish people. I also feel drawn to Judaism. I want to read as many books as I can about Judaism, Jewish history and the nation of Israel. I sometimes buy Israeli products from Kroger to support Israel. I think it is important to support Israel in any way that I can. Why do I feel this kind of connection? is this normal? This might be kind of a silly question or stupid question but I honestly want to know what people think about this.
Out of curiosity what ethnicity are you?

When you say you are not Christian, perhaps you felt Jesus was never the Messiah, or, the New Testament was not written to aligned with the Old Testament, that sort of thing.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2017, 04:38 PM
 
5 posts, read 3,835 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Out of curiosity what ethnicity are you?

When you say you are not Christian, perhaps you felt Jesus was never the Messiah, or, the New Testament was not written to aligned with the Old Testament, that sort of thing.
I am half Japanese half white. my dads a white American. I don't really believe in religion at all, but I just have this pull or connection toward Judaism, the Jewish people and the nation of Israel. I want to learn more about Jewish history and anything related to the Jews.
I feel like I should support Israel by buying Israeli products and donating to Jewish organizations and stuff like that. Interesting thing is my dad told me that my mother said to him that her grandfather on her fathers side was a Russian Jew. Thing is she could have lied about this because my mom lies a lot. I think it would be cool if I did have a Russian Jewish ancestor. Thank you all so much for replying to my post. The reason why I put in my post that I was not a Christian is because I know a lot of Christian Zionists support Israel because of their theology or religious beliefs. I also know some Christians support Israel out of the sincerity of their hearts as well. I just want to support Israel because I have this powerful feeling of wanting to help Israel and the Jewish people.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2017, 04:58 PM
 
13,092 posts, read 13,685,110 times
Reputation: 9156
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazakazakaza View Post
I am half Japanese half white. my dads a white American. I don't really believe in religion at all, but I just have this pull or connection toward Judaism, the Jewish people and the nation of Israel. I want to learn more about Jewish history and anything related to the Jews.
I feel like I should support Israel by buying Israeli products and donating to Jewish organizations and stuff like that. Interesting thing is my dad told me that my mother said to him that her grandfather on her fathers side was a Russian Jew. Thing is she could have lied about this because my mom lies a lot. I think it would be cool if I did have a Russian Jewish ancestor. Thank you all so much for replying to my post. The reason why I put in my post that I was not a Christian is because I know a lot of Christian Zionists support Israel because of their theology or religious beliefs. I also know some Christians support Israel out of the sincerity of their hearts as well. I just want to support Israel because I have this powerful feeling of wanting to help Israel and the Jewish people.
it makes sense if you have Jewish ancestry.
have you done any genealogy to verify whether you have Russian ancestry?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2017, 05:07 PM
 
5 posts, read 3,835 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
it makes sense if you have Jewish ancestry.
have you done any genealogy to verify whether you have Russian ancestry?
thing is my mother is an immigrant to the United States from Japan. All the records and pictures would be in Japan I believe. I think my dad said my mother had a picture of this ancestor. its just too bad I cant just go back to Japan right now and find out. I would love to do this though.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2017, 07:39 PM
 
13,092 posts, read 13,685,110 times
Reputation: 9156
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazakazakaza View Post
thing is my mother is an immigrant to the United States from Japan. All the records and pictures would be in Japan I believe. I think my dad said my mother had a picture of this ancestor. its just too bad I cant just go back to Japan right now and find out. I would love to do this though.
You can estimate the time that this grandfather would have lived and read about that period of history with regards to relations and events between Japan and Russia.

Something else you can do now without traveling to Japan is get on some genealogy sites or start here in CD and ask "how would I go about researching a possible Japanese Russian ancestor". You will be amazed how helpful people are.

I don't do this however I shared an office with a guy who did this and he talked about it on a daily basis and so I learned a lot by listening to him. People have access to many resources and love to share.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2017, 07:55 PM
 
13,092 posts, read 13,685,110 times
Reputation: 9156
Here are some links to get you started.

During the 1880s, Jews also settled in Nagasaki, a port area important in Russian trade. At the turn of the century, Nagasaki was the biggest Jewish community.

https://shavei.org/the-jews-japan/

Rabbi Marvin Tokayer - rediscovering Jewish history in Asia

Also email the Chabad rabbi in Japan and tell him your Japanese mother spoke of a Russian Jewish grandfather.

Keep us posted on what you find out we would love to hear more
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top