Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 06:22 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
I am a little surprised that an English-and-Hebrew phrase would be created by people who commonly used Yiddish. My limited experience has been hearing the phrase from orthodox Jews who spoke English perfectly well. Obviously, your experience has been different. Too bad I couldn't follow the link; did the author indicate where he thought the phrase originated?
Here is something on the origin

"Off the derech (OTD), from the Hebrew word derech (meaning "path"), is an expression Orthodox Jews use to describe someone who intentionally stops practicing the tenets of his or her branch of orthodoxy. The phrase was first used by the medieval sage Rashi to describe the actions of the rebellious son of Deuteronomy."

Link:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off_the_derech
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 06:24 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
I am a little surprised that an English-and-Hebrew phrase would be created by people who commonly used Yiddish. My limited experience has been hearing the phrase from orthodox Jews who spoke English perfectly well. Obviously, your experience has been different. Too bad I couldn't follow the link; did the author indicate where he thought the phrase originated?
Research "Haskalah", "Reverse Marranos".

I actually think this link has merit:
http://hevria.com/saul/there-is-no-off-the-derech/

Old 04-09-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Here is something on the origin

"Off the derech (OTD), from the Hebrew word derech (meaning "path"), is an expression Orthodox Jews use to describe someone who intentionally stops practicing the tenets of his or her branch of orthodoxy. The phrase was first used by the medieval sage Rashi to describe the actions of the rebellious son of Deuteronomy."

Link:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off_the_derech
This is your Rashi link: https://www.ou.org/jewish_action/08/...ff-the-derech/

Care to try again as OTD is an derogatory American created term.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:48 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Can someone explain for readers of the board what OTD "off the derech" means, give a definition or meaning for that term? That would be helpful for clarity.
Thank you. This reader did a Google search on the term.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
This is your Rashi link: https://www.ou.org/jewish_action/08/...ff-the-derech/

Care to try again as OTD is an derogatory American created term.
I agree it is a derogatory term. For that reason I would never call anyone that. I am mystified why anyone would use a derogatory term such as this to describe themself. Why do you use a derogatory term to describe yourself?

Old 04-09-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I agree it is a derogatory term. For that reason I would never call anyone that. I am mystified why anyone would use a derogatory term such as this to describe themself. Why do you use a derogatory term to describe yourself?
I'm not offended by mere words, thus I don't care. Why are you offended when people bring up your former non-Jewish religion?

Old 04-09-2017, 07:43 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,265,121 times
Reminding a convert of the status as a convert seems to go against the Rambam's statement (Hilchot Mechira, Chapter 14, halacha 13) which is derived from the talmud, Bava Metzia 58b: "One may not say to a convert's son 'remember your ancestors' deeds!' One may not say to a convert who wants to learn 'your mouth ate forbidden foods. Will it learn Torah, which was given from Hash-m?!'."

And if we know that the reminder embarrasses the person (whether or not we think it SHOULD), then the decision to mention it which will cause embarrassment is forbidden lower down on 58b.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Reminding a convert of the status as a convert seems to go against the Rambam's statement (Hilchot Mechira, Chapter 14, halacha 13) which is derived from the talmud, Bava Metzia 58b: "One may not say to a convert's son 'remember your ancestors' deeds!' One may not say to a convert who wants to learn 'your mouth ate forbidden foods. Will it learn Torah, which was given from Hash-m?!'."

And if we know that the reminder embarrasses the person (whether or not we think it SHOULD), then the decision to mention it which will cause embarrassment is forbidden lower down on 58b.
Then why is okay for them, and you, to constantly remind me that I'm no longer Orthodox by the use of snarky comments?

Old 04-09-2017, 08:03 PM

Every Jew is precious Pruz. We are as precious to Hashem as gold coins are to a miser, as diamonds are to a rich man who never gets tired of gazing upon them each and every one.

When you seek to insult me, first I say gamzu l'tova this too is good. thank you Hashem for the mitzvah of remaining silent in the face of insult. And then I say thank you Hashem for the reminder to find good in every Jew and I note how learned Pruz is, how extensive his Torah learning is and what a strong person he is on the CD forum in speaking out for Judaism in the many threads where anti semitism is expressed. His words of peace in many posts are inspiring to me and his knowledge of history in the area of the Holy Land is detailed and he expresses himself in an articulate way.

Then I say thank you Hashem for reminding me to do tshuva in the places where my soul is tarnished and needs polishing. And thank you Hashem for this insult in place of something larger and more drastic which I am surely deserving of and was headed my way but which you Hashem in your kindness and mercy and compassion reduced to this minor bit instead.

And I say thank you Pruz for saying kind things about tff yes he is an inspiration to us also may his light shine. And thank you for reminding me to stay focused on Judaism and that time on CD can be a distraction and to be mindful to put Torah first, that is valuable and you are spot on so thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

And thank you also for our resident Rabbi for providing halachah in this area we all learn from that so thank you for this Torah learning.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 04-09-2017 at 08:14 PM..

Old 04-10-2017, 06:18 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,265,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Then why is okay for them, and you, to constantly remind me that I'm no longer Orthodox by the use of snarky comments?
1. I never said it was OK for anyone to remind anyone of anything.
2. Please show me where I actually did this. Hint -- you won't find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism