Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 08:24 PM

245 posts, read 311,305 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I know that ideally people should spend all Shabbat praying and resting, but given all of the specific rules, there must be things that are permissible. If I'm trying to be more traditionally observant, but also VERY busy what kinds of things could I accomplish around the house without going against generally accepted norms? It's hard to imagine not accomplishing anything for several hours during a long Saturday afternoon in the summer. For example, I had a college friend who studied his textbooks without writing anything down because he said that technically he wasn't breaking Shabbat.... So could I study for professional exams on Shabbat afternoon without writing? Are there other things that observant people know they CAN do?

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 02:38 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,285 times
Shabbat's Work Prohibition | My Jewish Learning
The Shabbat Laws - Shabbat
Laws of Shabbat for Beginners

Shabbat shalom.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:20 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,706 times
Theoretically and most strictly, the day is for prayer and focus on Torah study/discussion and the kinds of things that we do on weekdays, even if permissible in terms of the 39 categories of forbidden behavior, would still be forbidden because they are not in the spirit of the day.

So according to some, studying non-religious materials, especially if it is in preparation for a test or class on another day would not be allowed. However, some other people would say it is acceptable because there is nothing explicitly wrong with it. This is a matter of interpretation and understanding that divides us into very small communities within communities. In one, playing basketball (if there is an eiruv around, making carrying acceptable) would be ok, in another, not at all.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:44 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Theoretically and most strictly, the day is for prayer and focus on Torah study/discussion and the kinds of things that we do on weekdays, even if permissible in terms of the 39 categories of forbidden behavior, would still be forbidden because they are not in the spirit of the day.

So according to some, studying non-religious materials, especially if it is in preparation for a test or class on another day would not be allowed. However, some other people would say it is acceptable because there is nothing explicitly wrong with it. This is a matter of interpretation and understanding that divides us into very small communities within communities. In one, playing basketball (if there is an eiruv around, making carrying acceptable) would be ok, in another, not at all.
I think carrying is a foul...

Old 05-05-2017, 03:53 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
8: Carrying and Eiruv - Shabbat

Old 05-05-2017, 04:16 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I'd like to think he was talking about in basketball.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:40 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,806,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Of course, it is, not that it should be silently spoken of.
Give us this day our?

If only a Son of man could lay his head upon the memorial of rest.

Where should such a mans work give comfort to many.
Should one nest comfort many?
I say no.

At this very moment, I am enjoying the simplest treasures.
One that has never changed. It is a gift of strength that can never be broken. Even if my own courage fails, the Lord of host reminds me.
"You said, " I will die if I go up"

I can only imagine being with Moshed.
Going out to the people of fear.
A moment.
Moshe ask all of the house.
"Would you like to meet our Heavenly Father."

And all the children say?

Last edited by pinacled; 05-05-2017 at 05:58 PM..

Old 05-06-2017, 01:22 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
i'd like to think he was talking about in basketball.
:d...I was...

Old 05-09-2017, 01:59 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,843,959 times
Im Reform and we arent strict on Shabbat rules...so not every part of Judaism says you cant drive, work, cook, clean, etc.

Old 05-09-2017, 02:42 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,285 times
The OP asked about Jewish law in relationship to traditional observance of Shabbat.
As the Reform movement doesn't hold halachah as binding, their observation wouldn't be considered traditional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism