Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 03:22 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times

Advertisements

Can We Eat Bacon Now? Leviticus Was Written for Priests, Not You, Say Scholars.

https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/arti...s-to-eat-bacon
Can we eat bacon now? Leviticus was written for priests, not you, say scholars - Archaeology - Haaretz.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 04:07 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
A silly article -- it hinges on one social scientist who "theorizes."

No proof or evidence, just a sensationalist approach. Another "expert" in the same article opined that the laws were for everyone and yet that didn't make the headline. Go figure.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:09 PM

22,161 posts, read 19,213,038 times
if someone is going to be swayed by the opening post, or the articles,
they were probably already eating pork to begin with.

if someone is swayed by national enquirer type articles
then they probably could care less about following Jewish law anyway

why would a Jew create a thread entirely devoted to saying its OK to eat bacon?
what might his motivation and intention be?

Old 05-19-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Can We Eat Bacon Now? Leviticus Was Written for Priests, Not You, Say Scholars.
i'd like to hear the opening post person's view on the topic he has presented.
Pruz, do you eat pork? why or why not?

Old 05-19-2017, 08:22 PM

9,328 posts, read 13,002,482 times
I'm a Kohen (or so I've been told; I haven't had the genetic testing done, so I don't know for sure), so I guess I'd still be out of luck.

But we never kept kosher, anyway. Some of my great-grandparents' generation halfheartedly continued to observe select dietary taboos. One great-grandmother wouldn't keep bacon in the house, so she would walk across the street to another great-grandmother's whenever she had the craving. Beyond that, I'm not sure.

Then that great-grandmother made a deal with God: she pledged to give up bacon for life if my great-uncle wasn't drafted into Vietnam. It turned out that he had the same congenital cataracts that she did, so sure enough, he was spared from shipping out to French Indochina, and Nanny kissed pork belly goodbye.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:26 PM

The "scholars" reference the old testament which is a Christian book. Which has nothing to do with Jews.

Gordon J. Wenham is a British Old Testament scholar and writer and evangelical commentator.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i'd like to hear the opening post person's view on the topic he has presented.
Pruz, do you eat pork? why or why not?
Why do you consistently attack people instead of discussing the topic at hand? I've posted a thread related to to Leviticus that was printed in a Jewish Israeli website. Discuss it or walk away from it. Read the TOS, discuss the topic not the person who posted it.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Why do you consistently attack people instead of discussing the topic at hand? I've posted a thread related to to Leviticus that was printed in a Jewish Israeli website. Discuss it or walk away from it. Read the TOS, discuss the topic not the person who posted it.
Asking you to comment on your own topic....
Which you decline to do.

You are referencing evangelical bible scholars and the old testament on the Judaism forum. But then.....you knew that.

Shabbat Shalom. Time to light candles.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Asking you to comment on your own topic....
Which you decline to do.

You are referencing evangelical bible scholars and the old testament on the Judaism forum. But then.....you knew that.

Shabbat Shalom. Time to light candles.
You are in error and you know it. The article came from a Israeli Jewish website.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haaretz

Old 05-19-2017, 09:13 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
As long as it is Kosher bacon it's OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism