Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 11:45 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,662 times

Advertisements

In the past 5 years, I've seen roughly 10% of my shul make Aliya. In each and every case, it was families that were struggling in the US. Problems with earning a living. Problems with marriage. Problems with kids. Just "failure to launch - failure to thrive." Israel makes a nice place to go "hide out" and hope for the best. If things are lousy here, you might as well be in Israel where things can be equally lousy. At least you're in Eretz Yisroel.

Those are the only experiences I've seen. Is this about par for the course, or am I seeing an anomaly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 11:50 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,706 times
I'd say an anomaly. The loads of people I have seen go with a lot of money and a plan (though I know of a couple of exceptions).

Old 05-28-2017, 11:50 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,285 times
I think you're seeing an anomaly based on the community you live in.

Almost every family I've seen make aliyah were doing well here and chose to do so because they wanted to live in Israel.
I'd make the move myself, if my wife were equally on board. It only took me a decade to talk her into moving to New York; Israel should only take me three or four more (decades, that is).

Old 05-28-2017, 11:52 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,662 times
I think I'm talking more hashkofically a mess, not necessary financially a mess.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:19 PM

623 posts, read 312,132 times
I have no idea what a correct answer to your question is. However, your first paragraph makes sense.

US of A seems, in practice, to be a little more tolerant of diverse hashkafos (outlooks), to the point that even as a Jew I feel more accepted here.

Both countries may change.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:30 PM

22,177 posts, read 19,217,049 times
I've seen many young families make aliyah. Most had help from family already in Israel and a support system already in place. The only reason I've ever heard for people coming back and leaving Israel is finances.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:19 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
As a person who flies to Israel twice a year for around three weeks at a time and has been doing so for over five decades, I think I can put a few shekels of experience in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
In the past 5 years, I've seen roughly 10% of my shul make Aliya. In each and every case, it was families that were struggling in the US. Problems with earning a living. Problems with marriage. Problems with kids. Just "failure to launch - failure to thrive." Israel makes a nice place to go "hide out" and hope for the best. If things are lousy here, you might as well be in Israel where things can be equally lousy. At least you're in Eretz Yisroel.

Those are the only experiences I've seen. Is this about par for the course, or am I seeing an anomaly?
The main great thing about being in Israel is being around Jews who for the majority speak Hebrew, follow many of the mitzvot without have to think about it and are generally happy living there. As to having financial problems in the US, they will most likely have financial problems in Israel. Israel does have it's own type of welfare system for people to adjust to live in Israel, but people have to leave behind Their American way of living and learn to live with less. Israel will send you to school to learn a new profession if needed. Also the Kibbutz living of 40ish years ago is gone. Nearly all of them are business parks where people live as individuals rather than a community. One may not see it, but Israel has around 20% poverty rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
I'd say an anomaly. The loads of people I have seen go with a lot of money and a plan (though I know of a couple of exceptions).
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
I think you're seeing an anomaly based on the community you live in.

Almost every family I've seen make aliyah were doing well here and chose to do so because they wanted to live in Israel.
I'd make the move myself, if my wife were equally on board. It only took me a decade to talk her into moving to New York; Israel should only take me three or four more (decades, that is).
You've both stated the opposite of the OP. It's pretty easy to make Aliya if one has the finances to do so. The problems that may hit those people in the future is the type of career they have. What they did in the US, may not transfer to having a ability to do so in Israel. Here's a link about France's Jews who've made Aliya over the past few years.
French Jews, struggling to find work in Israel, consider going home | Jewish Telegraphic Agency

Old 05-28-2017, 07:14 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,162,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Also the Kibbutz living of 40ish years ago is gone. Nearly all of them are business parks where people live as individuals rather than a community.
Been about 35 years since working here for a couple months. Maybe due to location (although basically every location in country feels like it could potentially be a target) but seemed like a very close if not tight knit community at that time. Things change, so not surprising to hear about it just being all about business now.

(Last month on my visa was for experiencing the Old City, then from there some fun down on the sand in Eilat... but it was actually being allowed to experience this place that was, well... beyond description really).

Not sure what OP means by "hiding out"?

Old 05-29-2017, 04:48 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
I have also seen people who had economic problems in the USA and then go to live in Israel and not be successful and therefore return to the USA after a few years.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:13 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I have also seen people who had economic problems in the USA and then go to live in Israel and not be successful and therefore return to the USA after a few years.
I'd that that puts the problem on them and not the country...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism