U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 05:53 AM

1,392 posts, read 497,222 times

Advertisements

Not necessarily. Names change. Men named Cohen marry non-Jewish women. Children are adopted.

Worth looking at (regarding the name Katz, but the explanation and comments are relevanbt)
https://judaism.stackexchange.com/a/7540/1362
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 06:16 AM

27,989 posts, read 15,066,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Not necessarily. Names change. Men named Cohen marry non-Jewish women. Children are adopted.

Worth looking at (regarding the name Katz, but the explanation and comments are relevanbt)
https://judaism.stackexchange.com/a/7540/1362
Just asked because I have a friend at work whoís a Cohen from Israel and he has PTSD because while in the Navy he was enlisted to help move some boxes after they were off-loaded from a helicopter and when the helicopter took off the lids on the cardboard boxes blew off and there were dead bodies inside, he said that he didnít know how to deal with that being a Cohen heís never been around a dead body...

Old 04-04-2018, 06:21 AM

I don't think that the PTSD has to do with his being a Cohen. I think that I would have the same reaction.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:04 AM

Quote:
I don't think that the PTSD has to do with his being a Cohen. I think that I would have the same reaction.
But isnít a Kohen not allowed contact with a dead body?...

Old 04-05-2018, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
But isnít a Kohen not allowed contact with a dead body?...
Yes, but to lay the PTSD at the feet of a religious issue ignores a whole lot of other stuff. If he was in the navy and knew he was a kohen and said nothing, or didn't consider that he'd be in the presence of a dead body (it isn't just contact) then he was being willfully ignorant. Either way, kohen or not, finding out you carried dead bodies is enough to give anyone PTSD. I don't think his condition has any relation to his status as a kohen.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Yes, but to lay the PTSD at the feet of a religious issue ignores a whole lot of other stuff. If he was in the navy and knew he was a kohen and said nothing, or didn't consider that he'd be in the presence of a dead body (it isn't just contact) then he was being willfully ignorant. Either way, kohen or not, finding out you carried dead bodies is enough to give anyone PTSD. I don't think his condition has any relation to his status as a kohen.
Thank you, Rav, I see your point...Though had been around dead bodies when I was in the military, it never bothered me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or