U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 12:26 AM

3,139 posts, read 936,737 times

Advertisements

Jews are only those from the Tribe of Judah
I've been thinking about this only since a lot of "Jews" have been proselytizing over on the Christian forum.
And yet some of them tell me they do not even believe in Jesus who was certainly from the tribe of Judah, and thus a Jew in that sense. However, clearly all the 12 tribes did not have all things in common including beliefs, practices, etc... I would certainly classify Jesus as a radical Jew who was sick to death of the empty rituals practiced by his tribe and perhaps the Hebrew children in general.

Full disclosure: I am a liberal, non-orthodox believer in Jesus --- that he was the promised Messiah, the Christ.

Check out the links if you would like:
Lamb of God
https://foreveryouwillbe.wordpress.com/

Are all Hebrew Children or Israelites Jews?

https://foreveryouwillbe.wordpress.c...ribe-of-judah/

Last edited by RainMusic; 03-05-2018 at 12:30 AM.. Reason: color
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 12:56 AM

392 posts, read 122,250 times
By "Jew," I presume you mean the Hebrew word "Yehudi." Certainly it originally meant a member of the tribe of Yehudah (Judah to you). However, it also meant a member of the nation of Yehudah, which included Yehudah, Binyamin (Benjamin) and some of the Levites. The Book of Esther specifically refers to Mordecai as a Jew and a Benjamite.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
By "Jew," I presume you mean the Hebrew word "Yehudi." Certainly it originally meant a member of the tribe of Yehudah (Judah to you). However, it also meant a member of the nation of Yehudah, which included Yehudah, Binyamin (Benjamin) and some of the Levites. The Book of Esther specifically refers to Mordecai as a Jew and a Benjamite.
Thank you. No, I didn't mean anything too particular other than that not all the 12 Tribes of the Hebrew Children would all have had the exact same beliefs, rituals, etc... any more than all the denominations of Christianity believe the same things. I don't know that much about Judaism since I am not a Jew, but I have been thinking about it mostly due to certain "Jewish" proselytizers who come onto the Christian forum seeming not to want to bring any sort of uplifting message, but rather to declare how very much more close to God they are than the non-Jews. I suppose the Hebrew children of old likely fought amongst themselves every bit as much as various Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, etc... do today. It's human nature (the fallen nature, I should say).

Old 03-05-2018, 04:39 AM

1,377 posts, read 493,645 times
I'm a bit confused by the tone and content of your original post.

The title indicates a positive claim, reiterated in the body, regarding the linguistic use of the word "Jew" and your position as to its reference. When corrected by ben Shunamit regarding the historical meaning of the word, you react with "I didn't mean anything too particular other than..." and then you posit a separate claim regarding the ancient beliefs which you believe would have separated the 12 tribes (along tribal lines?).

Then you restate that you are motivated to develop that statement because of the behaviors of some people elsewhere.

So, to recap as response:

As explained, "Jew" refers to the members of the kingdom of Judah, who shared beliefs even though they were of different tribes. They were in contrast with the kingdom of Israel which was exiled because of the beliefs which it (as a singular unit) held.

None of this is caused by or causes individuals to go into a virtual space and say anything. If you have questions about denominalization in Judaism, then and now, you might wish to ask.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:55 AM

27,952 posts, read 15,035,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post

The title indicates a positive claim, reiterated in the body, regarding the linguistic use of the word "Jew" and your position as to its reference. When corrected by ben Shunamit regarding the historical meaning of the word, you react with "I didn't mean anything too particular other than..." and then you posit a separate claim regarding the ancient beliefs which you believe would have separated the 12 tribes (along tribal lines?).

Then you restate that you are motivated to develop that statement because of the behaviors of some people elsewhere.

As explained, "Jew" refers to the members of the kingdom of Judah, who shared beliefs even though they were of different tribes. They were in contrast with the kingdom of Israel which was exiled because of the beliefs which it (as a singular unit) held.

None of this is caused by or causes individuals to go into a virtual space and say anything. If you have questions about denominalization in Judaism, then and now, you might wish to ask.
He thinks some Jews are attempting to prosylatize over in the Christian forum when they insist that their messiah is all over the Tanakh, which he is not, and then quote verses from their Old Testament, which are either added in or modified to support their claim and when they are shown what our Tanakh actually says, they take it a proselytizing...

Old 03-05-2018, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
He thinks some Jews are attempting to prosylatize over in the Christian forum when they insist that their messiah is all over the Tanakh, which he is not, and then quote verses from their Old Testament, which are either added in or modified to support their claim and when they are shown what our Tanakh actually says, they take it a proselytizing...
I don't think it useful for a Jewish poster to go in to a Christian forum and try to educate there any more than it would be welcome for a Christian to come into a Jewish forum and start "educating" here. That doesn't make it proselytizing, but it also doesn't make it a good idea.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:

I honestly do not even understand your post. I'm sure you meant well, but I simply do not comprehend what you were trying to get across to me. I already said I do not know much about the Jewish faith. My main point was to say that as far are I UNDERSTAND, the word JEW comes from the word JUDAH which was ONE particular TRIBE. True or False?

Old 03-05-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
I honestly do not even understand your post. I'm sure you meant well, but I simply do not comprehend what you were trying to get across to me. I already said I do not know much about the Jewish faith. My main point was to say that as far are I UNDERSTAND, the word JEW comes from the word JUDAH which was ONE particular TRIBE. True or False?
False. It comes from the Kingdom of Judah which contained more than just the tribe of Judah. I hope that that clarifies things for you.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post

I'm actually a s/he, not that that matters. Oh, so you think things were added to the OT ? Me too. Wow, we have something in common. Jesus also noted that on a number of occasions in the New Testament. But of course, you don't believe the New Testament is scripture, so I don't suppose that will be of much help to you.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
False. It comes from the Kingdom of Judah which contained more than just the tribe of Judah. I hope that that clarifies things for you.
Thank you. I will check into that to clarify it for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or