U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 05:07 PM

2,790 posts, read 2,283,290 times

Advertisements

Isn't passover/unleavened bread the first month of Israel's New Year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 06:15 PM

13,093 posts, read 13,698,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
Isn't passover/unleavened bread the first month of Israel's New Year?
I'm not sure what you mean by "Israel's New Year"

There are four Jewish new years specified in Jewish law (Mishnah Rosh Hashanah 1:1)
They are: 1 Tishrei, 15 Shevat , 1 Nisan, and 1 Elul .

1 Tishrei
Rosh Hashanah literally means “the head of the year" celebrates the birth of creation of the world. Years are counted from this date. We are now in the year 5778. On next 1 Tishrei, the year 5779 begins (this happens Sept. 9, 2018). Tishrei however is counted as the "seventh month."

15 Shevat
The second new year is 15 Shevat, the New Year for trees, this determines for instance when first fruits can be eaten.

1 Nisan
The third Jewish new year is 1 Nisan, for counting the reign of kings and months on the calendar. It corresponds to the season of the redemption from Egypt and the birth of the Israelite nation. Months are numbered beginning with the month of Nisan, it is the "first month."

1 Elul
The last new year, 1 Elul, is the New Year for the tithing of cattle.

We are currently in the month of Nisan. Today is Nisan 14 (today Friday until sunset). Tomorrow is Nisan 15 (beginning sunset Friday night, through to sunset Saturday), the first day of Pesach (Passover). Pesach lasts 7 days in Israel, to Nisan 21; or 8 days outside Israel, final day Nisan 22.

Here is a chart of the months (with general correspondence in secular calendar) at this link: http://www.jewfaq.org/calendar.htm

1 Nissan (March-April)
2 Iyar (April-May)
3 Sivan (May-June)
4 Tammuz (June-July)
5 Av (July-August
6 Elul (August-September)
7 Tishri (September-October)
8 Cheshvan (October-November)
9 Kislev (November-December
10 Tevet (December-January)
11 Shevat ()January-February
12 Adar I (leap years only) February-March
13 Adar II (February-March)

and for a more in-depth look at the ordinances about the New Year of the Jewish calendar:
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/...hana-chapter-1

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 03-30-2018 at 06:55 PM..

Old 03-30-2018, 06:59 PM

"The present Jewish calendar is lunisolar, the months being reckoned according to the moon and the years according to the sun. The mean "moon" month is about 29.5 days. The solar year is 365.03 days. This means that a solar year exceeds a lunar one (12 months) by about 11 days. The cycles of 12 lunar months must therefore be adjusted to the solar year, because although the Jewish festivals are fixed according to dates in months, they must also be in specific (agricultural) seasons of the year which depend on the tropical solar year. Without any adjustment the festivals would "wander" through the seasons and the "spring" festival (Passover), for example, would be celebrated eventually in winter, and later in summer. The required adjustment is realized by the addition of an extra month (Adar II) in each of seven out of the 19 years that constitute the lunar cycle of the moon."

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/calendar

Old 04-01-2018, 07:05 PM

400 posts, read 123,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
"The required adjustment is realized by the addition of an extra month (Adar II) in each of seven out of the 19 years that constitute the lunar cycle of the moon."

Calendar
If I understand correctly, the "extra" correcting month is actually Adar I, and Adar II is considered the "real" Adar.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
If I understand correctly, the "extra" correcting month is actually Adar I, and Adar II is considered the "real" Adar.
I was wondering about that myself so I looked it up. Yes. In a non leap year it is called simply Adar.

During a Jewish leap year, which occurs seven times in a 19-year cycle (approximately once every three years), there is an added month called “Adar I,” inserted before the regular month of Adar (which is then during leap years called “Adar II”).

Old 04-02-2018, 10:06 AM

3,964 posts, read 3,346,864 times
My oldest boys will have an extra month of yeshiva next school year and an abbreviated summer break due to the extra month. They’re bummed.

After Purim next year, all the holidays for the next year come late in the season. I live in a hotter climate, so I love when Succos comes late - less mosquitos.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "Israel's New Year"

There are four Jewish new years specified in Jewish law (Mishnah Rosh Hashanah 1:1)
They are: 1 Tishrei, 15 Shevat , 1 Nisan, and 1 Elul .

1 Tishrei
Rosh Hashanah literally means “the head of the year" celebrates the birth of creation of the world. Years are counted from this date. We are now in the year 5778. On next 1 Tishrei, the year 5779 begins (this happens Sept. 9, 2018). Tishrei however is counted as the "seventh month."

15 Shevat
The second new year is 15 Shevat, the New Year for trees, this determines for instance when first fruits can be eaten.

1 Nisan
The third Jewish new year is 1 Nisan, for counting the reign of kings and months on the calendar. It corresponds to the season of the redemption from Egypt and the birth of the Israelite nation. Months are numbered beginning with the month of Nisan, it is the "first month."

1 Elul
The last new year, 1 Elul, is the New Year for the tithing of cattle.

We are currently in the month of Nisan. Today is Nisan 14 (today Friday until sunset). Tomorrow is Nisan 15 (beginning sunset Friday night, through to sunset Saturday), the first day of Pesach (Passover). Pesach lasts 7 days in Israel, to Nisan 21; or 8 days outside Israel, final day Nisan 22.

Here is a chart of the months (with general correspondence in secular calendar) at this link: Judaism 101: Jewish Calendar

1 Nissan (March-April)
2 Iyar (April-May)
3 Sivan (May-June)
4 Tammuz (June-July)
5 Av (July-August
6 Elul (August-September)
7 Tishri (September-October)
8 Cheshvan (October-November)
9 Kislev (November-December
10 Tevet (December-January)
11 Shevat ()January-February
12 Adar I (leap years only) February-March
13 Adar II (February-March)

and for a more in-depth look at the ordinances about the New Year of the Jewish calendar:
Tractate Rosh Hashana: Chapter 1
- Ok interesting thanks, that explains what I read about head of the year.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
As far as I remember being taught it is not acceptable in the Jewish Orthodox tradition to invite non-Jews to a seder. I would guess this comes from the tradition that a bottle of wine touched by a non-Jew is not considered kosher. (This would have helped prevent socialization between Jews and non-Jews from what I remember/understood.) So if one has an elderly relative who has live in help that is non-Jewish would it be acceptable or not to allow such a person to be part of the family's seder meal?
- Moses Served Wine At Passover?

Old 04-04-2018, 07:34 PM

14,878 posts, read 4,985,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
- Moses Served Wine At Passover?

Everything eaten is in symbolism just like the bitter herbs symbolizing things, but the wine at Passover is a seriously cool thing.

There are 4 cups of wine, the first is the Kiddush, for blessing and sanctification. The second is the cup of wrath and this cup is not to drink, it is poured out on the table as the plagues of Egypt are recited{COOL};. The third cup is filled to overflowing{Psalms 116:13} as an overflowing salvation.

The last cup is the cup of the kingdom that symbolizes a time when Israel will drink together in the kingdom when God has turned the kingdom over to Israel.

The cup of the blessing
The cup of Wrath
The cup of blessing, salvation, or redemption
The cup of the Kingdom

Besides these 4 cups, at the end of the seder, a cup is poured out For ONLY Elijah or Messiah, and that would beg the question,'' Is there any tradition that plays out what happens to that 5th cup of wine?''

Is it just to be remembered as a memorial on the table for everyone to see as they leave? I mean, there are so many traditions and rituals, I wonder if anything is made from the cup of Elijah?

Old 04-04-2018, 07:46 PM

3,964 posts, read 3,346,864 times
When nobody is looking, you pour Eliyahu’s cup back in the bottle. Seriously. It’s a disgrace to pour it out or leave it out all night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism