U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-16-2018, 11:04 AM
 
Location: US
27,992 posts, read 15,074,605 times
Reputation: 1754

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
This is not really true, although it might seem that way in many congregations, including ours, particularly on the Sabbath. Some things ARE supposed to be done together, or at least the congregational mode must be respected and, in some cases, responded to. However, it is NOT uncommon for some individuals to be doing their own thing at their own speed, particularly if there are more than ten adult males present. It would probably not be appropriate for a non-Jewish visitor.

I frankly do NOT know all the rules concerning this, nor their status (law, custom or otherwise). Perhaps rosends and/or Pruzhany will comment further on this, since both undoubtedly have far wider experience and knowledge on this than I do.
You are correct, Iíve been to a Chassidic Shul to Daven on Shabbat when I was TDY in Lakewood, NJ...Some were davening quietly, some were davening out loud and some were singing, it was like a one-on-one with HaShem and some were even sitting around a table discussing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-16-2018, 12:05 PM
 
Location: NJ
1,392 posts, read 497,990 times
Reputation: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
This is not really true, although it might seem that way in many congregations, including ours, particularly on the Sabbath. Some things ARE supposed to be done together, or at least the congregational mode must be respected and, in some cases, responded to. However, it is NOT uncommon for some individuals to be doing their own thing at their own speed, particularly if there are more than ten adult males present. It would probably not be appropriate for a non-Jewish visitor.

I frankly do NOT know all the rules concerning this, nor their status (law, custom or otherwise). Perhaps rosends and/or Pruzhany will comment further on this, since both undoubtedly have far wider experience and knowledge on this than I do.
In general, prayers in a quorum setting are done with all keeping the same pace, but there are often people who fall behind or who move slightly ahead. The important part is that when the prayers reach certain parts which require 10 adult males to be involved, all 10 (optimally) are at that point in the prayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 02:02 PM
 
935 posts, read 1,587,271 times
Reputation: 1000
This is so odd to me. I belong to a small reform congregation in Raleigh, NC and we get visitors all the time and we welcome them and will often sit them next to some "old timers" to help them follow along etc. Our services have a good amount of English in them and our Rabbi tells you when to stand up and sit down and if you don't bow at the right time, or lift your heels at the right time, no one cares and no one would shun you for it.
I think you should find a nice reform temple locally and show up. We have greeters at the door that ask if you're new and visiting etc. I imagine other temples would too.
I would think it could be considered a bit disrespectful if you didn't stand up when you were supposed to but I couldn't imagine that you would chose to remain seated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2018, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Booth Texas
14,878 posts, read 4,985,692 times
Reputation: 1514
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
This is so odd to me. I belong to a small reform congregation in Raleigh, NC and we get visitors all the time and we welcome them and will often sit them next to some "old timers" to help them follow along etc. Our services have a good amount of English in them and our Rabbi tells you when to stand up and sit down and if you don't bow at the right time, or lift your heels at the right time, no one cares and no one would shun you for it.
I think you should find a nice reform temple locally and show up. We have greeters at the door that ask if you're new and visiting etc. I imagine other temples would too.
I would think it could be considered a bit disrespectful if you didn't stand up when you were supposed to but I couldn't imagine that you would chose to remain seated.
First time I went to a synagogue, it was with my very best friend who everyone knew, but I walked in about ten min after he did and let me assure you, it was nothing nice, one would think the Uzis were about to come out and they wanted to know who I was. I don't say this as an Anti-Semite or anything, you would never find another Gentile more in support of Jews and Israel than me, and that is the truth, but I am fairly certain that this synagogue had been visited by anti-Semites and they probably had an extremely good reason to act in the fashion they acted in. I mean, I had no bad feelings by the way I was treated because I figured they did get attacked from time to time, even as I have seen a bunch of wacko's surrounding the Israeli embassy{Which I take personally and get extremely angry when somebody messes with Israel}


I mean, you just aren't going to see wackjobs going to every little church, but one might expect to see wackjobs at synagogues, and I TRULY despise such people because the fact that they give Gentiles a really bad name, and suspicions that shouldn't be there, but are there for good reasons, reasons that there are wackjob Christians out there who are anti-Semitic, and a whole bunch of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2018, 05:09 PM
 
3,964 posts, read 3,346,864 times
Reputation: 1246
The goyim have no business being in a shul, if they are there out of curiosity. Itís a place of holiness, not a reality tv show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2018, 05:21 PM
 
Location: Booth Texas
14,878 posts, read 4,985,692 times
Reputation: 1514
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
The goyim have no business being in a shul, if they are there out of curiosity. It’s a place of holiness, not a reality tv show.
Yeah, pretty much I figure, but I was there with my best friend, he only had one leg and was about to lose the other, and that was the only reason I was there, so he could go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2018, 03:05 AM
 
142 posts, read 67,869 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius;51667146[B
]Yeah, pretty much I figure, but I was there with my best friend, he only had one leg and was about to lose the other, and that was the only reason I was there, so he could go.
[/b]

Don't listen to him and his dumb comment non jews are always welcomed to attend synagogue and even pray along so long as they are not a security threat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2018, 05:26 AM
 
Location: US
27,992 posts, read 15,074,605 times
Reputation: 1754
Quote:
Originally Posted by AniHaGever View Post
so long as they are harming the congregants or trying to convert Jews to another religion
Do what?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2018, 05:31 AM
 
7,981 posts, read 3,472,680 times
Reputation: 11237
I like the fact that Jews donít give you a hard sell. Itís up to you to make a decision. No pressure. No door knocking or trying to convince others their religion is wrong and yours is right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2018, 10:08 AM
 
13,093 posts, read 13,698,619 times
Reputation: 9157
Quote:
Originally Posted by AniHaGever View Post
[/b]

Don't listen to him and his dumb comment non jews are always welcomed to attend synagogue and even pray along so long as they are not a security threat
i disagree with what you are saying.

my understanding from your previous posts is that you are not Jewish.

and it is not appropriate, nor is it courteous, nor is it respectful to insult the Jews on this forum who are providing information in this thread and in this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top