U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2018, 03:22 PM

9,397 posts, read 6,272,061 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxzR...ature=youtu.be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 05:31 AM

32,092 posts, read 33,002,049 times
Happy 70 Years To Israel!

Old 04-20-2018, 07:41 AM

3,962 posts, read 3,345,152 times
I heard some Jews say Hallel for this day (without a bracha). Seriously? But in all fairness, i do root for the good guys (Israel).

Old 04-20-2018, 08:01 AM

1,391 posts, read 496,728 times
I find it interesting not that some say hallel (without a bracha, signifying that this is not the obligation and prayer, but just an expression of general happiness and gratitude) but that those same people don't say the tachanun supplications which are an obligatory aspect of prayer which is usually only obviated by mitzvah level celebrations.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
I find it interesting not that some say hallel (without a bracha, signifying that this is not the obligation and prayer, but just an expression of general happiness and gratitude) but that those same people don't say the tachanun supplications which are an obligatory aspect of prayer which is usually only obviated by mitzvah level celebrations.
Rosends, that's indeed fascinating. Of course, this all comes down to Zionism and the dangers it presents, even to the G-d fearing, mitzvah observant Yid. It is possible to love the land of Israel, love the Jewish people and root for the IDF (that describes me), but when those loves cross the line and the Yid thinks the land itself or the Jewish people (or chas v'shalom the government) have some special power, not G-d granted, that's the Zionism that must be eradicated from the face of the earth. We err in thinking the Israeli IDF or government protects the Jewish people, when in fact it's Hashem and only He who does so.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:40 PM

399 posts, read 123,385 times
I hold like Ben Gurion. I don't say Hallel, and I don't say Tachanun.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:12 PM

1,391 posts, read 496,728 times
I need to do some research on this but I can't see why we would not say tachanun in general, especially if a minyan says hallel with NO bracha. If one says it with a bracha then the claim is that the day is a holiday on par with (at least) rabbinic enactment (like Channukah) so tachanun would be removed. But without a bracha (and kal vachomer if there is no hallel said at all) how can we arbitrarily skip tachanun? The list of days and dates when we don't say tachanun doesn't allow for adding random days.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:36 AM

32,092 posts, read 33,002,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Rosends, that's indeed fascinating. Of course, this all comes down to Zionism and the dangers it presents, even to the G-d fearing, mitzvah observant Yid. It is possible to love the land of Israel, love the Jewish people and root for the IDF (that describes me), but when those loves cross the line and the Yid thinks the land itself or the Jewish people (or chas v'shalom the government) have some special power, not G-d granted, that's the Zionism that must be eradicated from the face of the earth. We err in thinking the Israeli IDF or government protects the Jewish people, when in fact it's Hashem and only He who does so.
Hashem does so using the IDF and the Israeli Government to do so!

Old 04-22-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Agreed. But without the IDF, it’s still possible for the Jews to be safe. Without prayer, no matter how big and strong the IDF is, the Jews are not safe.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:05 AM

3,515 posts, read 1,604,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
There's a cool Russian proverb, translated to preserve context: "Pray to god, but take action yourself."

With many Israeli residents being Russian immigrants, this proverb is quite fitting. Which ties into the fact that while prayer is very good, it's equally good to have a strong army and an assertive government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or