U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2018, 10:07 AM

76 posts, read 120,739 times

Advertisements

One of the things that I would like to do (that I have yet to do) – is attend service(s)during the Days of Awe.

I have “a basic” understanding of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. And I do know that there are also (erev) evening services as well as services during the following day.

So I was wondering if someone (unfortunately) could only attend one service (a day orevening) to go to during the Days – what would you choose?

So… what service is the most awe-inspiring? What service is the most crowded? What prayers or songs do you not want to miss? Services where they serve food orsnack (before or after)? Any difference in the attire that you wear? Difference between Reform and Conservative? Length of services? How the service may be interactive? When they use the shofar? How the service affects you differently,if you are 100 rows back vs the front row? Service during the day vs evening? Should I really, really try to attend more than one service?

I realize that these questions are going to get different answers depending on the responders, and also depending on where you go to for the service. I am interested in all answers.

I would be going to a Conservative or a Reform service.

I am aware that, for the services, you are likely going to have to pay for a seat – and it can be expensive. (I understand that – and I am fine with that.)

And when I am ready to attend the service, what all should I do beforehand? Obviously I am not going to just walk in (unannounced). I need to contact the temple/synagogue.What do I say to the Rabbi/clergy? Do they need an appointment for this conversation? How do you get a ticket/seat? You pay once for the same seat thru the whole week, correct? Anything else I am missing?

I have read some of the threads in this forum. And they have been helpful. But please do know that I am a very respectful individual. I am not disruptive. I am well beyond the “curiosity” stage. Books and videos are not enough anymore. I do not treat this opportunity like I am going to a museum or to a play or to the zoo. People go to the service to PRAY.

Anything that you do - that affects your future - involves steps.

This is one of those steps.

Any opinions, criticisms, tips, questions are welcome.

And I apologize for how this appears - copy and pasting from MS Word is not working well here

Last edited by maxwell2323; 05-03-2018 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: copy and paste issues from Word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 01:15 PM

13,113 posts, read 13,726,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell2323 View Post
One of the things that I would like to do (that I have yet to do) – is attend service(s)during the Days of Awe.

I have “a basic” understanding of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. And I do know that there are also (erev) evening services as well as services during the following day.

So I was wondering if someone (unfortunately) could only attend one service (a day orevening) to go to during the Days – what would you choose?

So… what service is the most awe-inspiring? What service is the most crowded? What prayers or songs do you not want to miss? Services where they serve food orsnack (before or after)? Any difference in the attire that you wear? Difference between Reform and Conservative? Length of services? How the service may be interactive? When they use the shofar? How the service affects you differently,if you are 100 rows back vs the front row? Service during the day vs evening? Should I really, really try to attend more than one service?

I realize that these questions are going to get different answers depending on the responders, and also depending on where you go to for the service. I am interested in all answers.

I am aware that, for the services, you are likely going to have to pay for a seat – and it can be expensive. (I understand that – and I am fine with that.)

And when I am ready to attend the service, what all should I do beforehand? Obviously I am not going to just walk in (unannounced). I need to contact the temple/synagogue.What do I say to the Rabbi/clergy? Do they need an appointment for this conversation? How do you get a ticket/seat? You pay once for the same seat thru the whole week, correct? Anything else I am missing?

I have read some of the threads in this forum. And they have been helpful. But please do know that I am a very respectful individual. I am not disruptive. I am well beyond the “curiosity” stage. Books and videos are not enough anymore. I do not treat this opportunity like I am going to a museum or to a play or to the zoo. People go to the service to PRAY.

Anything that you do - that affects your future - involves steps. This is one of those steps.
1. Are you Jewish?
2. Have you ever been to any Jewish service?
3. Why do you even want to go?
4. It sounds like you are going from "books and videos" to "Days of Awe services."
5. Advice? Opinion? From what you state in the post above, Don't go.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-03-2018 at 01:44 PM..

Old 05-03-2018, 09:58 PM

28,034 posts, read 15,136,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
1. Are you Jewish?
2. Have you ever been to any Jewish service?
3. Why do you even want to go?
4. It sounds like you are going from "books and videos" to "Days of Awe services."
5. Advice? Opinion? From what you state in the post above, Don't go.
Maybe he sees the truth and is progressing toward it...GER Tzedek?...

Old 05-04-2018, 01:09 PM

15,014 posts, read 5,034,484 times
For some reason in the last 3 decades, a million Gentiles have rejected pagan holy days and began keeping the 7 feasts of Judaism, that's what I did in 1998. I just became extremely interested in the Jewish feasts like it was an insatiable hunger that I couldn't even explain.

Old 05-05-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell2323 View Post

Anything that you do - that affects your future - involves steps.

This is one of those steps.

And I apologize for how this appears - copy and pasting from MS Word is not working well here
The days of awe begin much more sooner than Rosh Hashanah, you prepare at least 3 weeks before Rosh Hashanah when the king comes to his field, and what will you do when the king comes to his field? Will you continue working to keep your eyes to the ground, or will you stop working to stand in awe of the king?

Isaiah 56
Invitation to the Needy
1Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.
2Wherefore do ye spend money for that which is not bread? and your labour for that which satisfieth not? hearken diligently unto me, and eat ye that which is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness.
3Incline your ear, and come unto me: hear, and your soul shall live; and I will make an everlasting covenant with you, even the sure mercies of David.
4Behold, I have given him for a witness to the people, a leader and commander to the people.
5Behold, thou shalt call a nation that thou knowest not, and nations that knew not thee shall run unto thee because of the LORD thy God, and for the Holy One of Israel; for he hath glorified thee.

6Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near:
7Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
8For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
9For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
10For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:
11So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
12For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.
13Instead of the thorn shall come up the fir tree, and instead of the brier shall come up the myrtle tree: and it shall be to the LORD for a name, for an everlasting sign that shall not be cut off.

There are set and appointed times of the year when the Lord God is closer to you that any other time of the year.

On Rosh Hashanah he is closer to you that at any other time, and he comes sealing the foreheads and right hands of those who keep his Passover and his unleavened bread, his Shavuot and Sukkot, and Shemini Atzeret, and all those who love his laws as the law is always in the mind and upon their lips. Wherever they go, they contemplate the Torah night and day, and they observe his Sabbaths and his feasts while the rest of the world is hell bent on their assimilation into the ways of the nations.

All those who receive the promise of God are sealed with protection against the judgment of Yom Kippur. On Yom Kippur ALL the nations, and all people will be judged in how they have treated Israel.

Between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur are the ten days that a person should set his mind into doing good works, and after the relief of Yom Kippur, there are 4 days of great blessing until the feast of Tabernacles, the seasons of our joy.

This feast of Tabernacles would greatly interest a Gentile. There are 70 bullock sacrificed for the 70 nations

The feast of Tabernacles is the feast of booths that looks back on the Holiest time of Israel's past because Israel journeyed in the wilderness for 40 years, ''THERE WITH GOD,'' and never had God been any closer to Israel than those 40 years of living with him.

The season of our joy
The Festival of the great and last ingathering that completes the cycle.
The Feast of Nations because of the 70 bulls
The Festival of Dedication
The Festival of lights.

If I only had one wish to go back to any other time in History, it would be to go back to Jerusalem in it's greatest celebration of the feast of booths. I can only imagine what Jerusalem would have looked like during the biggest and greatest family reunion the world has ever know. There would have been sukkas everywhere and upon every rooftop.

The Talmud says that the light coming from the temple was so extreme that there was no courtyard in Jerusalem that was not lit up from the Menorah and all the lights of this festival.

At night when the Eve came,'' They said,'' Behold, It is day.''

Zechariah 14 ~ The entire chapter showing what is going to happen on Sukkot, and here is Zechariah insinuating that if you aren't already keeping Sukkot, you might just die, and if you are fighting against Jerusalem and Judah and the 7 feasts of the Lord, you are in serious trouble where your eyes melt in your head before you hit the ground, that your tongue will melt in your mouth before you hit the ground.
The Destroyers of Jerusalem Destroyed
1Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee. 2For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city. 3Then shall the LORD go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle. 4And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south. 5And ye shall flee to the valley of the mountains; for the valley of the mountains shall reach unto Azal: yea, ye shall flee, like as ye fled from before the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah: and the LORD my God shall come, and all the saints with thee.

DEPICTING the feast of Tabernacles and what happens ~ The Extreme light coming from the Temple turned night into day.
6And it shall come to pass in that day, that the light shall not be clear, nor dark: 7But it shall be one day which shall be known to the LORD, not day, nor night: but it shall come to pass, that at evening time it shall be light.
8And it shall be in that day, that living waters shall go out from Jerusalem; half of them toward the former sea, and half of them toward the hinder sea: in summer and in winter shall it be.
9And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one.
10All the land shall be turned as a plain from Geba to Rimmon south of Jerusalem: and it shall be lifted up, and inhabited in her place, from Benjamin's gate unto the place of the first gate, unto the corner gate, and from the tower of Hananeel unto the king's winepresses. 11And men shall dwell in it, and there shall be no more utter destruction; but Jerusalem shall be safely inhabited.
12And this shall be the plague wherewith the LORD will smite all the people that have fought against Jerusalem; Their flesh shall consume away while they stand upon their feet, and their eyes shall consume away in their holes, and their tongue shall consume away in their mouth. 13And it shall come to pass in that day, that a great tumult from the LORD shall be among them; and they shall lay hold every one on the hand of his neighbour, and his hand shall rise up against the hand of his neighbour. 14And Judah also shall fight at Jerusalem; and the wealth of all the heathen round about shall be gathered together, gold, and silver, and apparel, in great abundance. 15And so shall be the plague of the horse, of the mule, of the camel, and of the ass, and of all the beasts that shall be in these tents, as this plague.

All Nations will Worship the King
16And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles. 17And it shall be, that whoso will not come up of all the families of the earth unto Jerusalem to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, even upon them shall be no rain. 18And if the family of Egypt go not up, and come not, that have no rain; there shall be the plague, wherewith the LORD will smite the heathen that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles. 19This shall be the punishment of Egypt, and the punishment of all nations that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles.
20In that day shall there be upon the bells of the horses, HOLINESS UNTO THE LORD; and the pots in the LORD'S house shall be like the bowls before the altar. 21Yea, every pot in Jerusalem and in Judah shall be holiness unto the LORD of hosts: and all they that sacrifice shall come and take of them, and seethe therein: and in that day there shall be no more the Canaanite in the house of the LORD of hosts.

If I was a Gentile thinking about attending a service at a synagogue, I would buy a ticket to the feast of Tabernacles

Old 05-05-2018, 03:49 PM

Imagine the Jewish people in a feeling of awe for 30 days watching themselves in the full knowledge that God is soon to visit them whether they see him or not, they know that in the month of Elul, they are particularly thinking of the comings days, and then comes Rosh Hashanah, the feast of trumpets at the house of trumpets and it is a solemn atmosphere this way as they are doing good works leading up to Yom Kippur, and then comes the relief after Yom Kippur and I like to think of those 4 days between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur as days of miracles that literally anything can happen but that may just be me.

Imagine the biggest and greatest family reunion where all Israel is supposed to come up to Jerusalem to keep the feast of Tabernacles, all that family you haven't seen and two million other members all camping around Israel like nomads

The feast of Tabernacles is called the feast of our joy because it is after the judgment and although one might find joy in all God's appointed days, the feast of Tabernacles was like the fair had come to town, and all your relatives were in a mentality of sheer Joy, CRYING AND SCREAMING IN JOY.

There seemed to be no sleeping through these days and it was an atmosphere of carnival, maybe that is not the right word, but everyone was filled with joy in the season of joy.

They would hang with each other ALL NIGHT LONG, and you can imagine all the little groups and cousins meeting other cousins and everyone is awake all through the night as the Temple streamed out extreme light to make it seem like day, and all these people were waiting upon the dawn. I bet that many people stayed asleep during those 7 days, but you can imagine that on that first night, most everyone would have been present and gathering to the temple just before the sun came up.

When the sun came up, there were shouts of joy as this occurrence began the water ceremony, and it is said,'' No person has known Joy who has not been to the great water ceremony of God.''

There were 3 processions of priests with the people in tow, and one procession or parade of people would begin their trek to the pool of Siloam to gather the water in shouts of joy to be a part of such a great and wonderful thing. Still another procession would go out the gather the wine the same way, and yet another would go out to gather the lambs of trees, and all 3 would begin coming back to the temple where one could imagine what it sounded like as those willow limbs came closer and closer to the temple. It must have sounded like a wind storm. They would bring the water and the wine to pour in the bowls built into the alter, and these bowls had holes at the bottom. The limbs would be stood up over the alter like a Sukkah I imagine, and when the water and wine spilled out, they would shout,'' Save now,'' in pure Joy, and there was also the circling of the alter 7 times as if Jericho was than about to fall as they shouted.

It really must have been something to see all the sukkahs built and so much fun meeting family in those days, and just to feel that kinsmanship with a couple million people would be something that most people and nations could never understand, the feeling of family, and so many family having the same cause. The loyalty of a whole nation unlike the loyalty and pride that most people have in a Nation, but a loyalty that stems from a Nation with God's name on it is quite different. I am proud of being American but this aint Jerusalem.

If I got any of this wrong, I would gladly be corrected and thankful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism