U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 10:43 AM

27,953 posts, read 15,039,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Rabbi, would you be in agreement with Rabbi David Einhorn (1809-1879), who went one step further in that interpretation about biblical slavery, in that he stated that the regulation of slavery was intended to lead to the eventual end of slavery?

Here is an excerpt from Rabbi Einhorn's response to those who, during his time, defended slavery in the United States because it was in the Bible: "The question exclusively to be decided, is whether Scripture merely tolerates this institution as an evil not to be disregarded, and therefore infuses in its legislation a mild spirit gradually to lead to its dissolution, or whether it favors, approves of and justifies and sanctions it in its moral aspect?" Anti-Slavery Response of Dr. Einhorn
Catch a kid smoking and make him smoke a whole carton on cigarette after another and he’ll repent of his decision to smoke...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 11:07 AM

69 posts, read 9,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
Sonof's heretical questioning was kind of interesting, even if it was obviously on the wrong forum. Not interesting enough, however, to spend much time on the "right" forum.
Here is another question then.
What would make any questioning heretical?
Is not any question on any subject should be welcome?
What would make a question heretical, undesirable etc?

As far as right/wrong forum, now I understand, this forum is "guarded" by axiomatic presupposition and, I guess, it is fine. Whatever. Rule is a rule.
But I did not come here to argue an existence of god, although I can handle myself in this type of debate with no problem. Two words drew me in - "Reasonable Bible".
I don't care what people's believes are as long as those believes don't lead to policies that effect my live.
But when word "reasonable" is used in conjunction with believes that I consider not reasonable, I become very curios.
Since we are dealing with direct logical negation (there is no third option), only one position is correct, and I need to know which one. I need to know not because I want to convince another side, like I said, I don't care. I want to make sure I'm not wrong, b/c if I am, I have to abandon mine wrong convictions, and switch.
I don't want to be wrong.
But I have to test another side first. That's what i did, and once again, I did not find competing arguments convincing at all.
If anyone still want to argue "reasonability" of the Bible, we can meet on the "right forum".
If not, that's fine too. Stay "guarded" and keep on feeling good and "right".
The only caviate being, that this feeling is faulty, for it's there not by virtue of reason. It is there only b/c it's protected by rule.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:10 PM

1,377 posts, read 493,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Rabbi, would you be in agreement with Rabbi David Einhorn (1809-1879), who went one step further in that interpretation about biblical slavery, in that he stated that the regulation of slavery was intended to lead to the eventual end of slavery?

Here is an excerpt from Rabbi Einhorn's response to those who, during his time, defended slavery in the United States because it was in the Bible: "The question exclusively to be decided, is whether Scripture merely tolerates this institution as an evil not to be disregarded, and therefore infuses in its legislation a mild spirit gradually to lead to its dissolution, or whether it favors, approves of and justifies and sanctions it in its moral aspect?" Anti-Slavery Response of Dr. Einhorn
This answer provides some similar discussion
https://judaism.stackexchange.com/a/10312/1362

Old 05-14-2019, 12:38 PM

551 posts, read 52,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
This answer provides some similar discussion
https://judaism.stackexchange.com/a/10312/1362
This sounds a lot like what Rabbi Einhorn was talking about: ...instead, it was allowed, with significant "nudges" in the direction that it wasn't a good idea ... to allow for its gradual fadeaway.

Many thanks! I have to see if I can find it again, but there was some kind of eulogy written for Rabbi Einhorn a long time ago that was authored by both Reform and Orthodox Jews.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:24 PM

Rabbi, is my understanding in post # 89 okay or is there something that I am missing?...

Old 05-14-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Rabbi, is my understanding in post # 89 okay or is there something that I am missing?...
The idea that the text uses language to help us identify with the divine goes well with the idea that we have freedom in order for us to develop a better understanding of ourselves.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:57 AM

Quote:
The idea that the text uses language to help us identify with the divine goes well with the idea that we have freedom in order for us to develop a better understanding of ourselves.
Thanks, Rabbi...

So, then I should assume that I have a good grasp or understanding of the subject?...

Old 05-15-2019, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Rabbi...

So, then I should assume that I have a good grasp or understanding of the subject?...
I think that we should all view our grasp as a good start.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:43 AM

69 posts, read 9,449 times
Quote:
I had to think about that for a minute, actually, all night...The best conclusion that I can come to is that HaShem has a plan from beginning to end that includes our screwups and His disappointments in the middle, but, being omniscient, He knows that we are growing and that eventually we will mature exactly when He has planned...I mean being that He has given us free will to err but also to learn and grow...
So why did he decide not to give us an opportunity to use our free will and err for a while by by mixing meat and milk?
Why that is so expressly prohibited? Did not he know that in this case too we will grow out our errors eventually and will mature exactly when he has planned?

Old 05-15-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I think that we should all view our grasp as a good start.
See?...You make me think for myself...Love you, Rabbi...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or