U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-16-2019, 02:14 PM
 
Location: US
27,953 posts, read 15,039,743 times
Reputation: 1734

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonof View Post
Actually, I don't know.
I also don't know why would that matter and why would that be wrong in any way.
“We will do and we will hear”...What is the meaning of this?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-16-2019, 03:08 PM
 
69 posts, read 9,480 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
“We will do and we will hear”...What is the meaning of this?...
To me it sounds like "We will do as told".
But what are trying to communicate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2019, 08:11 AM
 
3,942 posts, read 3,337,959 times
Reputation: 1246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonof View Post
To me it sounds like "We will do as told".
But what are trying to communicate?
I’ll help you out here. It means we accepted the Torah unconditionally without even knowing what was inside of it. That’s how much we love and trust Hashem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2019, 09:41 AM
 
Location: US
27,953 posts, read 15,039,743 times
Reputation: 1734
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I’ll help you out here. It means we accepted the Torah unconditionally without even knowing what was inside of it. That’s how much we love and trust Hashem.
Couldn’t have said it better myself...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2019, 06:22 PM
 
69 posts, read 9,480 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I’ll help you out here. It means we accepted the Torah unconditionally without even knowing what was inside of it. That’s how much we love and trust Hashem.
This is by definition what faith is - accepting something as true without valid justification, or, as you so eloquently put it, without even knowing what was inside of it.
As I said before, I have no problem with this approach as long as I'm not required to follow it in any way.
But this thread called "Reasonable Bible".
And that's what I have a problem with. I just don't see it.
This is the reason I'd like a simple question to be answered by whomever can answer it - what makes Bible reasonable? What makes believing in Bible rational?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2019, 07:27 PM
 
Location: U.S.A
52 posts, read 6,329 times
Reputation: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonof View Post
I'm talking about an explicit prohibition “do not cook a kid in its mother’s milk,”
which appears a total of 3 times in the Torah (Exodus 23:19, & 34:26 and Deuteronomy 14:21) and from which a general rule of not mixing meat and milk was derived.

So why did he decide not to give us an opportunity to use our free will and err for a while by cooking a kid in its mother’s milk?
Why that is so expressly prohibited? Did not he know that in this case too we will grow out our errors eventually and will mature exactly when he has planned?

Why something supremely amoral is, at very least endorsed, but something totally harmless (at least there is 0 scientific evidence that it causes any harm) is almost a mortal sin?

I'm just new to this thread. I would ask Sonof. . . Do you honestly see no issue with meat and milk ?


Because to me it just seems naturally wrong. It disrespectful to life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2019, 11:08 AM
 
69 posts, read 9,480 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob II View Post
I'm just new to this thread. I would ask Sonof. . . Do you honestly see no issue with meat and milk ?
I honestly see no evidence of any issue existing.
What would constitute an evidence?
In this case it is quite easy.
We can compare and see if, for example, "meat and milk" diets lead to higher rate of any kind of health problems relative to kosher way of life.
We have a enormous data base on that and nothing indicates any difference.
I think it is a good, rational and indicative approach.
What do you think?
Quote:
Because to me it just seems naturally wrong.
Key words - "to me" and "seems".
So it is your subjective and intuitive opinion.
Nothing stops subjective and intuitive from being wrong.
How do you propose to make sure it is not?
Quote:
It disrespectful to life.
Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2019, 12:25 PM
 
Location: U.S.A
52 posts, read 6,329 times
Reputation: 71
The best I tell you is that it would be an act of abrasive indifference. A person takes an animal from it's mother to slaughter, and then milks the mother to cook down the meat. It's an act of disrespectful ingratitude. Milk allows for life to be brought forth. It could be used in certain realms of cooking. But using life giving milk as a means to cook meat is just opposite of ethical reasoning.



If you still don't get it. You are not alone. The fast food industry does not get it either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2019, 08:52 PM
 
69 posts, read 9,480 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob II View Post
The best I tell you is that it would be an act of abrasive indifference. A person takes an animal from it's mother to slaughter, and then milks the mother to cook down the meat. It's an act of disrespectful ingratitude. Milk allows for life to be brought forth. It could be used in certain realms of cooking. But using life giving milk as a means to cook meat is just opposite of ethical reasoning.

If you still don't get it. You are not alone. The fast food industry does not get it either.
What I don't get is why you choose to argue less than honestly, or, as it's called in logic, by appealing to emotions instead of making a reasonable argument?
Why do you choose loaded words, like slaughter? Btw, do kosher abattoirs gently put cows to slip or they treat them with despicable cruelty?https://www.peta.org/features/agriprocessors/
How does that go along with ethical reasoning?

Why paint such a grim picture of literally slaughtering an animal taken from it's mother and then milking the mother to cook down the meat? Why do you need to erect this ugly strawman?
Who is doing literally that nowadays or ever did?

Are not you exhibiting an abrasive indifference yourself when you, with disrespectful ingratitude, force life bringing milk to get spoiled beyond recognition in order to use it in certain realms of cooking, like, for example, making cheeses?
Or is it not OK for me, but perfectly fine for you, because special pleading is not something you concern yourself with?

And why would you bring up infamous fast food industry to make your point?
Why not use for your analogy famous, perfected over the centuries world renowned European culinary tradition of which creamy souses is an intricate part?
I guess, it would not help you to paint the same dishonest picture, would not it?

Last edited by Sonof; 05-19-2019 at 09:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2019, 04:53 AM
 
Location: U.S.A
52 posts, read 6,329 times
Reputation: 71
It just sorta came out. But I was just being honest. . .Passionately honest. I'm just glad to see it did not go unnoticed.



Any more questions ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top