U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-20-2019, 07:18 AM
 
69 posts, read 9,449 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob II View Post
It just sorta came out. But I was just being honest. . .Passionately honest. I'm just glad to see it did not go unnoticed.
Any more questions ?
Yeah, right. Passionately honest.
Just because you are passionately honest, of course, you sorta acknowledged my very last question, while completely ignoring half a dozen questions just in my last post (never mind all other in this thread still unanswered) and then, with "passionate honesty", asked "Any more questions?".

What really did not go unnoticed is your somewhat curious interpretation of the commandment #9.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-20-2019, 10:51 AM
 
556 posts, read 52,589 times
Reputation: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonof View Post
And why would you bring up infamous fast food industry to make your point?

Why would you bring up PETA of all things to make your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2019, 11:23 AM
 
69 posts, read 9,449 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Why would you bring up PETA of all things to make your point?
Well, if this will help you to better understand my point, I'm thrilled!https://forward.com/scribe/353459/di...gs-you-can-do/

My point being -

Invoking ethical reasoning while basically strawmaning (describing something, that is not there, that nobody does), and completely ignoring deeply unethical and inhumane real actions of those, for whom ethical reasoning supposed to be a divinely prescribed way of life is hypocritical and intellectually dishonest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2019, 11:43 AM
 
556 posts, read 52,589 times
Reputation: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonof View Post
Well, if this will help you to better understand my point, I'm thrilled!https://forward.com/scribe/353459/di...gs-you-can-do/

Naw, I want to hear more about how much you like and respect PETA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2019, 11:52 AM
 
69 posts, read 9,449 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Naw, I want to hear more about how much you like and respect PETA.
Do you really think that these type of comments should help you to advance your argumentation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2019, 12:10 PM
 
Location: U.S.A
53 posts, read 6,201 times
Reputation: 71
Just mentioning. . When someone says ' straw man argument ' I have not even a remote clue what they are referencing. I did try to answer your question, and not in a particular fashion designated to you. I would answer the same way if 100 people were to ask it. You are not being treated with indifference. With me. . . You ask a question. . . I answer what I am thinking. My own family would get the same answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2019, 12:19 PM
 
556 posts, read 52,589 times
Reputation: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonof View Post
Do you really think that these type of comments should help you to advance your argumentation?

I'm not arguing with you. Right now I'm shaking my head in amazement over your patronizing assumption that, because I am a Jew, I should give more credence to something merely because you saw it in The Forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2019, 01:26 PM
 
69 posts, read 9,449 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob II View Post
Just mentioning. . When someone says ' straw man argument ' I have not even a remote clue what they are referencing.
Well, this should help as far as reference. Very nice explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfil34ayaEU

I'll be happy to show you straw man in your answer, if you are interested.

Quote:
I did try to answer y.our question, and not in a particular fashion designated to you. I would answer the same way if 100 people were to ask it. You are not being treated with indifference. With me. . . You ask a question. . . I answer what I am thinking. My own family would get the same answer
And I appreciate it.
Then we are dealing with a common problem - if someone does not know how to structure an argument properly, without logical fallacies, one by definition can not see when he structures his argument badly.
Naturally, if you don't know what the "straw man" is, you can not know when you use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2019, 01:37 PM
 
69 posts, read 9,449 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I'm not arguing with you. Right now I'm shaking my head in amazement over your patronizing assumption that, because I am a Jew, I should give more credence to something merely because you saw it in The Forward.
I feel like I'm an Alice in Illogical Wonderland!
I'm not patronizing you. I simply give you the source factually supporting my argument.
Source in and of itself is irrelevant and is not there to "give more credence to something".
This "something" are facts. If you don't dispute facts, then where they are coming from makes absolutely no difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2019, 01:54 PM
 
556 posts, read 52,589 times
Reputation: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonof View Post
I feel like I'm an Alice in Illogical Wonderland!
I'm not patronizing you. I simply give you the source factually supporting my argument.
Source in and of itself is irrelevant and is not there to "give more credence to something".
This "something" are facts. If you don't dispute facts, then where they are coming from makes absolutely no difference.

You are so full of... amazing facts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top