U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 09:39 AM

421 posts, read 189,021 times

Advertisements

Holy smokes Rachel, that is astounding information! Seems the received Torah tradition in Judaism is not monolithic, at least among those who study it closely.

This Wiki piece also says that Genesis first verses are not there at all in this Jahwist version!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jahwist

But to clarify, are you saying that verse 4:21 does not exist in the Jahwist version?

Even if this verse is from the Levite priestly viewpoint, it is the standard version among most religious Jews, right? Prager uses the Jewish Publication Society translation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 11:30 AM

551 posts, read 52,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
But to clarify, are you saying that verse 4:21 does not exist in the Jahwist version?
I think it's Richard Elliott Friedman who might be saying something like that. I'm no biblical scholar, although I do read a lot.

Quote:
Even if this verse is from the Levite priestly viewpoint, it is the standard version among most religious Jews, right? Prager uses the Jewish Publication Society translation.
I have a copy of the JPS Tanakh, but I often refer to the online Tanakh on the Chabad website (published by Judaica Press).

Old 05-13-2019, 11:36 AM

27,953 posts, read 15,039,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I think it's Richard Elliott Friedman who might be saying something like that. I'm no biblical scholar, although I do read a lot.

I have a copy of the JPS Tanakh, but I often refer to the online Tanakh on the Chabad website (published by Judaica Press).
I like Chabad much better, for me, the JPS just seems too King Jamesy and therefore, Christian...

Old 05-13-2019, 11:54 AM

421 posts, read 189,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I like Chabad much better, for me, the JPS just seems too King Jamesy and therefore, Christian...
I have bookmarked the Chabad site, many treasures there.

But Rashi's commentary on Ex 4:21 says nothing about the strengthening or stiffening of Pharaoh's heart?

Old 05-13-2019, 12:08 PM

551 posts, read 52,589 times
Quote:

But Rashi's commentary on Ex 4:21 says nothing about the strengthening or stiffening of Pharaoh's heart?

You'll find Rashi's comment to that in Exodus 7:3

Quote:
But I will harden: Since he [Pharaoh] behaved wickedly and defied Me, and I know full well that there is no delight among the nations to make a wholehearted attempt to repent, it is better for Me that his heart be hardened, so that [I can] increase My signs and My wonders in him, and you will recognize My mighty deeds, and so is the custom of the Holy One, blessed be He. He brings retribution on the nations so that Israel should hear and fear, as it is said: “I have cut off nations; their towers have become desolate… I said, ‘Surely you will fear Me, you will accept reproof’” (Zeph. 3:6, 7). Nevertheless, in the first five plagues, it does not say, “And the Lord strengthened Pharaoh’s heart,” but “Pharaoh’s heart remained steadfast.” -[from Exod. Rabbah 13:3, 11:6; Tanchuma Buber, Va’era 22; Yeb. 63a]

Old 05-13-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:

Shemot - Exodus - Chapter 4

21 The Lord said to Moses, "When you go to return to Egypt, see all the signs that I have placed in your hand and perform them before Pharaoh, but I will strengthen his heart, and he will not send out the people.

Rashi:

When you go to return to Egypt: You should know that with this intention you shall go, that you shall be steadfast in My mission, to perform all My signs before Pharaoh, and you shall not be afraid of him.

that I have placed in your hand: He did not say this in reference to the three aforementioned signs, for He had not commanded that he [Moses] do them before Pharaoh but before Israel, in order that they would believe him, and we do not find that he performed them before him [Pharaoh]. But [regarding] signs that I am destined to put into your hand in Egypt, such as: “When Pharaoh speaks to you [i.e., asking for you to perform signs], etc.” (Exod. 7:9), do not wonder that it is written: “that I have placed,” [i.e., implying the past tense,] because this is what it means: “When you speak to him, I will have already placed them into your hand.”

Maybe I’ll look in my Chumash and see if there is anymore that Rashi says on the subject...

Old 05-13-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
You'll find Rashi's comment to that in Exodus 7:3
Good catch, Rachel, I must have missed that...

Old 05-13-2019, 12:28 PM

Rabbi Rosends, is G-d Omniscient?...

Old 05-13-2019, 12:41 PM

1,377 posts, read 493,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Rabbi Rosends, is G-d Omniscient?...
yup

Old 05-13-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
yup
Thanks...Next question, how is it that G-d can repent?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or