Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 09:54 AM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
WATCH: What Does It Mean That The Jews Are The “Chosen People”?

WATCH: What Does It Mean That The Jews Are The “Chosen People”? | Israellycool
That was a good video. Short and to the point and well-explained.

The Rabbi is correct in that it is the perception of many non-Jews that "chosenness" means superiority. It's often viewed by others as akin to a sibling claiming to be Daddy's favorite. This perception is usually not born out of hostility but rather a lack of understanding.

Years ago when I posted on the old AOL message boards, I came across one that was frequented by a group of Jewish women. I learned so much from them, and from them it was the first time I ever heard that being chosen meant a sense of obligation to Jews, not superiority. I was surprised to learn it, and also a little chagrined that I had never questioned that it was otherwise. This was about fifteen years ago. Since then, I've tried to do my part to get the message across to others.

I was also lucky in that for a year after my retirement in 2016, I worked part-time for a company owned by a Satmar Hasidic family in Boro Park, Brooklyn. The women who worked there were great, explaining things to me about their modesty rules for dressing and holiday practices and foods.

At one time a few years ago, I wanted to start an interfaith subforum on R&S wherein people of different faiths felt comfortable exchanging information regarding our differences and our commonalities, a place to learn things about one another such as the above and by doing so, take down walls. As a WTC survivor, that has been my song and story ever since That Day. Unfortunately, I was told it would never fly. Too bad.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:55 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
>>>
I mean, what were you trying to show?...It was a nice video, I liked it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 04:37 PM

22,165 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That was a good video. Short and to the point and well-explained.

The Rabbi is correct in that it is the perception of many non-Jews that "chosenness" means superiority. It's often viewed by others as akin to a sibling claiming to be Daddy's favorite. This perception is usually not born out of hostility but rather a lack of understanding.

Years ago when I posted on the old AOL message boards, I came across one that was frequented by a group of Jewish women. I learned so much from them, and from them it was the first time I ever heard that being chosen meant a sense of obligation to Jews, not superiority. I was surprised to learn it, and also a little chagrined that I had never questioned that it was otherwise. This was about fifteen years ago. Since then, I've tried to do my part to get the message across to others

I was also lucky in that for a year after my retirement in 2016, I worked part-time for a company owned by a Satmar Hasidic family in Boro Park, Brooklyn. The women who worked there were great, explaining things to me about their modesty rules for dressing and holiday practices and foods.

At one time a few years ago, I wanted to start an interfaith subforum on R&S wherein people of different faiths felt comfortable exchanging information regarding our differences and our commonalities, a place to learn things about one another such as the above and by doing so, take down walls. As a WTC survivor, that has been my song and story ever since That Day. Unfortunately, I was told it would never fly. Too bad.
what IS borne out of hostility however is when you repeat malicious hate mongering phrases, which you continue to do so on an ongoing basis including as recently as just a couple weeks ago. Did you notice the turn that thread took for the worse (in a different part of the forum) when you mentioned what you did including yup the phrase Jews thinking they are superior. If you actually care about this you would not repeat these phrases, whereas in reality you continue to act as someone who repeats malicious slander and gossip, with all the attendant damage that goes along with it.

you say it has been years now (15 years you say) since you supposedly "learned" it is about obligation and responsibility and duty. And yet here you are all these years later still perpetuating and spreading and repeating the same hate mongering phrases.

if you truly have a desire to be seen as not hostile, then stop repeating it. my observation is you like to stir the pot and incite others, then claim "oh but of course its not true." i don't like it and i'm calling you on it, yet again. that is not "taking down walls" and if that is you "doing your part" that what you are doing is inciting and perpetuating hate and it is deliberate and it is vicious.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 09-03-2018 at 05:31 PM..

Old 09-03-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
what IS borne out of hostility however is when you repeat malicious hate mongering phrases, which you continue to do so on an ongoing basis including as recently as just a couple weeks ago. Did you notice the turn that thread took for the worse (in a different part of the forum) when you mentioned what you did including yup the phrase Jews thinking they are superior. If you actually care about this you would not repeat these phrases, whereas in reality you continue to act as someone who repeats malicious slander and gossip, with all the attendant damage that goes along with it.

you say it has been years now (15 years you say) since you supposedly "learned" it is about obligation and responsibility and duty. And yet here you are all these years later still perpetuating and spreading and repeating the same hate mongering phrases.

if you truly have a desire to be seen as not hostile, then stop repeating it. my observation is you like to stir the pot and incite others, then claim "oh but of course its not true." i don't like it and i'm calling you on it, yet again. that is not "taking down walls" and if that is you "doing your part" that what you are doing is inciting and perpetuating hate and it is deliberate and it is vicious.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

Excuse me. I consciously try not to respond to your posts because you do nothing but pretend to misinterpret content so you can start an argument. Exhibit A, above. You seem to not understand that anyone can read what I wrote.

In that thread you reference, I put that decision aside because I was trying to help you, and all you did was turn on me in response. It was very clear to everyone else that I was making the point to help you see what might be part of the problem from the perspective of your son's in-laws.

We are at odds here. My aim is to promote understanding and find commonalities. Yours is to foster strife, argue incessantly and find personal persecution where none exists.

Consider that it might be best if we do not respond to each other's posts in the future.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-03-2018 at 09:23 PM..

Old 09-03-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
So, what's this, Richard. How does it serve you to not understand an erroneous perception of you by others?

It is a real thing. You can decide to educate those who are ignorant of what Chosenness means to a Jew, or not.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-04-2018 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: Removed reference to non-debate thread

Old 09-03-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Excuse me. I consciously try not to respond to your posts because you do nothing but pretend to misinterpret content so you can start an argument. Exhibit A, above. You seem to not understand that anyone can read what I wrote.

In that thread you reference, I put that decision aside because I was trying to help you, and all you did was turn on me in response. It was very clear to everyone else that I was making the point to help you see what might be part of the problem from the perspective of your son's in-laws.

We are at odds here. My aim is to promote understanding and find commonalities. Yours is to foster strife, argue incessantly and find personal persecution where none exists.

Consider that it might be best if we do not respond to each other's posts in the future.
What would be best is if you stop Jew bashing.
What would be helpful is if you stop repeating ugly hate mongering vicious insults.
What would show respect is to actually listen when someone says this is offensive.

You are not promoting understanding. If you can't see that, then how about go with what most people are told at about age 4 or 5: "if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all."

Old 09-03-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
So, what's this, Richard. How does it serve you to not understand an erroneous perception of you by others?

It is a real thing. You can decide to educate those who are ignorant of what Chosenness means to a Jew, or not.

Anyway, this is not supposed to be what this thread is for. "Non-debate".
MQ by repeating it (again and again and again which ypu do) you are the one promoting and perpetuating and propagating that which is ugly and vicious.

Old 09-04-2018, 03:25 AM

Quote:

Anyway, this is not supposed to be what this thread is for. "Non-debate".
I just think that the content was good...I’ve had no problems with you...It should have been in general and not specifically toward any one person, but it was still a good message...

Old 09-04-2018, 05:12 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Default What Does It Mean That The Jews Are The “Chosen People”?

As some people want to discuss this link, here is a thread for it to be done.

WATCH: What Does It Mean That The Jews Are The “Chosen People”? | Israellycool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism