U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2018, 11:15 PM

3,964 posts, read 3,346,864 times

Advertisements

Looking forward, please Hashem, to a great year. Wishing you all the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 03:35 AM

1,392 posts, read 497,990 times
and to you and yours.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:55 AM

27,992 posts, read 15,074,605 times
Ditto...

Old 09-20-2018, 03:55 PM

400 posts, read 123,847 times
Like wise, to all.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:18 AM

3,964 posts, read 3,346,864 times
We’re expecting rain both first nights of Succos. Time for some introspection. But its all for the good.

Last several years me and two oldest boys have built an 18x12 succah. This year my oldest are both away learning in yeshiva and there wasn’t time to build it when they got back, so I built an 8x8 by myself. Works halachically, but practically very small. We’ll make it work.

What about all of you? Anyone make a succah this year? Tell us about it.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:10 AM

1,392 posts, read 497,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
We’re expecting rain both first nights of Succos. Time for some introspection. But its all for the good.

Last several years me and two oldest boys have built an 18x12 succah. This year my oldest are both away learning in yeshiva and there wasn’t time to build it when they got back, so I built an 8x8 by myself. Works halachically, but practically very small. We’ll make it work.

What about all of you? Anyone make a succah this year? Tell us about it.
After the wife and I got married, we lived in an apartment. There as no real sukkah to use so I bought lumber and built one. No saw, justa hammer and nails and branches I picked up off the street. It was 8 feet tall, and two feet by two feet. Enough space for a single chair.

When we moved into a house, we bought a used plywood-wall sukkah. Heavy and not large but it fit the driveway. Then we moved to another house. We started with the plywood one but then, for separate reasons, made a concrete surface in the back yard. This was a great time to get a really large sukkah (12 by 20 I think). Using allen wrenches, I easily pit the poles up and then hung the canvas walls and the schach mats rolled out.

A couple of years later, I lose the allen wrench, so I took the schach and walls down and left the poles up. Fast forward about 10 years. This year, we are taking UP the concrete floor, so I have to take down the poles also and we will have to rethink our whole sukkah dimensions before next year. Should be interesting.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:42 PM

13,093 posts, read 13,698,619 times
A Sukkot film for your viewing pleasure, "Ushpizin"
(Ushpizin = Aramaic word for guests)
here is link to view film https://youtu.be/9aRRc6c0uQk?t=39

In Hebrew with Subtitles in ENGLISH.
filmed in accordance with halachah

For halachic reasons, Shuli Rand (the male lead in the film) insisted that his real-life wife, Michal Bat-Sheva Rand, who had never acted before, star opposite him in Ushpizin. "Michal Bat Sheva was not an actress, but the film maker acquiesced; seeing the wisdom in this approach, the director then cast all the speaking parts with Orthodox Jews who had formerly been actors. To her credit, Michal Bat Sheva gives a wonderful debut performance. In fact, the entire cast of Ushpizin is excellent. "

Shuli Rand won the Israeli Film Academy’s 2004 Best Actor Award, the Israeli equivalent of the Oscar. Ushpizin was a box-office hit in Israel and one of the highest grossing foreign films in America the year after its release.

And here is link to interview with the Rands, the married couple in the film who are also married in real life.
http://ou.org.s3.amazonaws.com/pdf/j...ll67/44-49.pdf

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 09-26-2018 at 08:20 PM..

Old 09-26-2018, 11:43 PM

21,375 posts, read 24,132,268 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNIiTCSJUfI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism