U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 11:51 AM

277 posts, read 110,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodingKat View Post
If you wish to become Jewish, OP, you can convert to Judaism, as mentioned.

Also, I believe the Reform tradition here in America acknowledges patrilineal Judaism, but if you were ever to make aliyah to Israel, you would have to convert properly (this was the case for many Russian Jews who followed patrilineal bloodline and had to convert again in Israel).

So if you want to be considered Jewish, your best option is to study and convert to Judaism.
I can't be Jewish I'm not willing to be a good Jew and give up ham & cheese sandwiches. I'd rather be a good Christian than a bad Jew. The Jews give up so much for there religion.

Judaism is not about rejecting Jesus as Messiah it's about sacrificing for and discipline for the nation of Israel. I'm not taking about Zionism. Jews are a nation. I'm proud to serve the Jew Jesus. He is coming soon. The Christians and Muslims know he is the Messiah. When he returns he will fulfill all the messianic prophecies.

I'm not a Jew my father is a Christian but in the eyes of Orthodox Judaism he is a Jew as well. I'm not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 11:51 AM

1,741 posts, read 573,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
When did Ruth go through the conversion process?...
https://jewsforjudaism.org/knowledge...r-of-converts/
https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...-and-Naomi.htm

https://www.etzion.org.il/en/ruth-and-conversion
Q & A: Ruth

Old 10-10-2018, 02:28 PM

My father told me I may have family living in israel. I'm going to have a DNA test to find out if I'm Askenazi. My father was darker olive skin than Jeff Goldbloom.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:30 PM

My father told me I may have family living in Israel. I'm going to have a DNA test to find out if I'm Askenazi. My father was darker olive skinned than Jeff Goldbloom.

For some reason this posted twice. I believe my Father.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:39 PM

8,717 posts, read 3,603,735 times
If you choose not to be a Jew, you're not a Jew. We aren't living under racial division laws that would care what your father or grandfather or religious ancestry was.

If there's a point to your posts here, I can't find it.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysByChance View Post
My father told me I may have family living in Israel. I'm going to have a DNA test to find out if I'm Askenazi. My father was darker olive skinned than Jeff Goldbloom.

For some reason this posted twice. I believe my Father.
If you are not Jewish how could you be Ashkenazi?

Old 10-10-2018, 06:32 PM

8,671 posts, read 3,301,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysByChance View Post
I have no true connection to Judaism. I was raised Catholic so was my father. Ever since I was in middle school my dad always told me I was Jewish. My father claimed his maternal grandmother was a Jewish convert to Catholicism.

I know going by this my father(who is dead now) is a Jew. But, I am not Jewish at all according to Orthodox Judaism. I used to get bullied for saying I was Jewish but as it turns out I'm not really Jewish at all. From now on I'm just going to say I'm Polish, Irish, Danish, and Hungarian.

My father had very black hair and was dark olive skinned. My mom always thought he looked Mongolian. Me and my sister both have brown hair she has brown eyes and I have strong hazel green eyes. My mom has blond hair and blue eyes. My father was 100% Polish excluding his Jewish grandmother but it's not common for Poles to have such dark skin.

Jews are a people it's not how you look but what you are on the inside. I know I don't have a Jewish soul. But, according to Orthodox Judaism my father does. If he continues to say he is Jewish in heaven that is up to him. As for me, I will cease doing so, I don't think it's right if I continue to do so.

I just had to get that off my chest it's, over.

Can anyone else relate?
Yes, I can relate.

You are the bravest person on this forum when it comes to worshipping in truth and spirit.

I hear tell that there is a story to each soul that the Lord wrote with His breath. And no amount of time will ever argue with the Torah written upon the heart.

There may be some that try.

But I imagine there is foundation that will stand the test of time regardless.
One that is woven upon the heart with lovingkindness like a nest upon a strong branch.

Blessed be He that was, is, and is to come.

Blessed be the Name of rest.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:05 PM

28,728 posts, read 15,782,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
If you are not Jewish how could you be Ashkenazi?
Genetics will show a percentage of European Jewish...

Old 10-10-2018, 07:06 PM

28,728 posts, read 15,782,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Yes, I can relate.

You are the bravest person on this forum when it comes to worshipping in truth and spirit.

I hear tell that there is a story to each soul that the Lord wrote with His breath. And no amount of time will ever argue with the Torah written upon the heart.

There may be some that try.

But I imagine there is foundation that will stand the test of time regardless.
One that is woven upon the heart with lovingkindness like a nest upon a strong branch.

Blessed be He that was, is, and is to come.

Blessed be the Name of rest.
The Torah written on the heart is for Israel...

Old 10-11-2018, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Genetics will show a percentage of European Jewish...
But Ashkenazi is a type of Jew so if, under Jewish law, and in light of the posted topic of this thread, the speaker is not Jewish, he cannot be Ashkenazi. Even more strictly speaking, Ashkenazi means not just genetics, but subscribing to a particular set of ritual practices as opposed to the Sepahrdi versions. If one doesn't follow any of the practices as a matter of geography and belief then he isn't Ashkenazi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or