U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 08:16 AM

277 posts, read 98,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
But Ashkenazi is a type of Jew so if, under Jewish law, and in light of the posted topic of this thread, the speaker is not Jewish, he cannot be Ashkenazi. Even more strictly speaking, Ashkenazi means not just genetics, but subscribing to a particular set of ritual practices as opposed to the Sepahrdi versions. If one doesn't follow any of the practices as a matter of geography and belief then he isn't Ashkenazi.
I disagree. There is a lot of opinions about the origins of the Ashkenazi Jew. Just as there is some disagreement of the origin on the Irish Celts. You can be an Irish Protestant and still be Irish just as you can be Ashkenazi without being Jewish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 08:21 AM

1,390 posts, read 495,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysByChance View Post
I disagree. There is a lot of opinions about the origins of the Ashkenazi Jew. Just as there is some disagreement of the origin on the Irish Celts. You can be an Irish Protestant and still be Irish just as you can be Ashkenazi without being Jewish.
How can you disagree? It is a designation created from within Judaism and about Jews. You can develop all sorts of theories about how things happen, but i can't insist I'm the pope. Ashkenaz is a Hebrew name for a particular place which labels those people who subscribe to the traditions which stem from there. It isn't a designation that has any value outside of Judaism.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
How can you disagree? It is a designation created from within Judaism and about Jews. You can develop all sorts of theories about how things happen, but i can't insist I'm the pope. Ashkenaz is a Hebrew name for a particular place which labels those people who subscribe to the traditions which stem from there. It isn't a designation that has any value outside of Judaism.
I'm not taking about Ashkenazi traditions I'm tAlking about DNA i might actually be blood relative to Jews in Israel. I may also be blood to the Patriarch Jacob. Ashkenazi is another word for Germany.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysByChance View Post
I'm not taking about Ashkenazi traditions I'm tAlking about DNA i might actually be blood relative to Jews in Israel. I may also be blood to the Patriarch Jacob. Ashkenazi is another word for Germany.
But "Ashkenazi" is not about blood or DNA. It is about particular practices and liturgical choices. If you want to say "German" or "eastern European" then say that. Do you often use random Hebrew words to label yourself?

Old 10-11-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
But "Ashkenazi" is not about blood or DNA. It is about particular practices and liturgical choices. If you want to say "German" or "eastern European" then say that. Do you often use random Hebrew words to label yourself?
I spent a lot of time thinking about this yesterday. I am going to identify my ethnicity and nationality as only American. And Claim my religion as a Catholic.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:40 AM

27,963 posts, read 15,050,737 times
Quote:
But Ashkenazi is a type of Jew so if, under Jewish law, and in light of the posted topic of this thread, the speaker is not Jewish, he cannot be Ashkenazi. Even more strictly speaking, Ashkenazi means not just genetics, but subscribing to a particular set of ritual practices as opposed to the Sepahrdi versions. If one doesn't follow any of the practices as a matter of geography and belief then he isn't Ashkenazi.
But genetics can show if his ancestry has any European Jewish markers, regardless if he is an Ashkenazi now...

Old 10-11-2018, 10:38 AM

14,803 posts, read 4,968,434 times
When would one stop being a Jew by blood? A Jewish mother has a daughter by a Gentile husband and they have a daughter who has a child by a Gentile, and..

Just because somebody has traces of Jewish blood, it makes them part Jewish but are they still Jews.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
But genetics can show if his ancestry has any European Jewish markers, regardless if he is an Ashkenazi now...
They can show markers that I have native American ancestry, but I'm not an Native American, so I won't call myself a Navajo.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
When would one stop being a Jew by blood? A Jewish mother has a daughter by a Gentile husband and they have a daughter who has a child by a Gentile, and..

Just because somebody has traces of Jewish blood, it makes them part Jewish but are they still Jews.
As long as someone has a Jewish mother, that person (by Jewish law as codified in a variety of texts) is Jewish, 100%.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:00 PM

14,803 posts, read 4,968,434 times
Quote:
As long as someone has a Jewish mother, that person (by Jewish law as codified in a variety of texts) is Jewish, 100%.
So a Jewish woman could marry a Gentile and convert to a Gentile religion and have a daughter, and as long as that daughter has another daughter for a thousand years, the daughter is still Jewish and her daughter as well, that is interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or