U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-09-2018, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Chicagoland area
277 posts, read 98,226 times
Reputation: 113

Advertisements

I have no true connection to Judaism. I was raised Catholic so was my father. Ever since I was in middle school my dad always told me I was Jewish. My father claimed his maternal grandmother was a Jewish convert to Catholicism.

I know going by this my father(who is dead now) is a Jew. But, I am not Jewish at all according to Orthodox Judaism. I used to get bullied for saying I was Jewish but as it turns out I'm not really Jewish at all. From now on I'm just going to say I'm Polish, Irish, Danish, and Hungarian.

My father had very black hair and was dark olive skinned. My mom always thought he looked Mongolian. Me and my sister both have brown hair she has brown eyes and I have strong hazel green eyes. My mom has blond hair and blue eyes. My father was 100% Polish excluding his Jewish grandmother but it's not common for Poles to have such dark skin.

Jews are a people it's not how you look but what you are on the inside. I know I don't have a Jewish soul. But, according to Orthodox Judaism my father does. If he continues to say he is Jewish in heaven that is up to him. As for me, I will cease doing so, I don't think it's right if I continue to do so.

I just had to get that off my chest it's, over.

Can anyone else relate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-09-2018, 03:58 PM
 
Location: NJ
1,377 posts, read 493,645 times
Reputation: 590
Just a quick note, you wrote, "I'm just going to say I'm Polish, Irish, Danish, and Hungarian."

You can say any and all of those and still be Jewish because they are nationalities and not religious markers, and each of those nationalities has Jews. If you are not Jewish then a question about your religion should be answered addressing your religious status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Chicagoland area
277 posts, read 98,226 times
Reputation: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Just a quick note, you wrote, "I'm just going to say I'm Polish, Irish, Danish, and Hungarian."

You can say any and all of those and still be Jewish because they are nationalities and not religious markers, and each of those nationalities has Jews. If you are not Jewish then a question about your religion should be answered addressing your religious status.
I'm catholic, only Karaite Jews accept Paternal descent. Rabbinical Jews run the nation of Israel. There are only 50,000-80,000 Karaites Left, that's less than 1% of all Jews. I'm proud of my nationalities. I know I can't say I'm a child of Israel. Maybe my dad is, but I'm not in the eyes of Judaism. I have no right to say so. And I respect that, I'm not one of the tribe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Venus
4,760 posts, read 3,187,386 times
Reputation: 7937
My father was Jewish but claimed to be an Atheist-Jew who joined the Society of Friends (the Quakers)-try figuring that one out.

My mother was Episcopalian. When they got married, we were SUPPOSED to be raised Jewish. However, the local synagogue informed my parents that they did not recognized any of us (I have 5 sibs). So we were "taught" at home. My dad wasn't very religious so we celebrated Hanukkah & Passover-and of course Christmas & Easter. My parents split when I was 8 and I went with my mother along with 3 of my sisters. My mother joined a local church and it was the first time I attended a service. At the age of 11, I was baptized-much to my father's anger.

All my life I have claimed to be 1/2 Jew-even though I know I'm not excepted. I am NOT a practicing Jew (nor am I a practicing Episcopalian either). I am a practicing Pagan. But, I still light the candles at Hanukkah as well as put up a Christmas tree-mainly as a recognition of my roots. I don't really celebrate Passover or Easter but I do recognize them-again as part of my heritage.

A few months back, Hubby & I decided to do our DNA. So, I was wrong-I am not HALF Jewish, I am only 49.3%. I think there is a difference between the Jewish religion and the Jewish heritage. Despite what the synagogue says, I DO have Jewish blood running through my veins.


Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 05:05 PM
 
10,522 posts, read 15,567,026 times
Reputation: 11832
Sorry, OP, you are mixing two different terms.
You are not a Jew. You are not born to a Jew female. Period, end of sentence, there is very good reason it was done that way.

You can be Jewish, as belong to Judaism. Nothing keeps you from going that route. You can be born to Jew mother, be a Buddhist, but you will still be a Jew. Being Jew is matter of blood, not matter of faith your parents were or what country you were born in. So saying "my mother was Episcopal" means nothing. It's the blood that counts, not the blah blah blah. You cna be born to a 100 generations pure breed Scots or African royal line, and you can convert to Judaism. And be accepted to the temple. But you will never become a Jew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 05:09 PM
 
Location: Chicagoland area
277 posts, read 98,226 times
Reputation: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
My father was Jewish but claimed to be an Atheist-Jew who joined the Society of Friends (the Quakers)-try figuring that one out.

My mother was Episcopalian. When they got married, we were SUPPOSED to be raised Jewish. However, the local synagogue informed my parents that they did not recognized any of us (I have 5 sibs). So we were "taught" at home. My dad wasn't very religious so we celebrated Hanukkah & Passover-and of course Christmas & Easter. My parents split when I was 8 and I went with my mother along with 3 of my sisters. My mother joined a local church and it was the first time I attended a service. At the age of 11, I was baptized-much to my father's anger.

All my life I have claimed to be 1/2 Jew-even though I know I'm not excepted. I am NOT a practicing Jew (nor am I a practicing Episcopalian either). I am a practicing Pagan. But, I still light the candles at Hanukkah as well as put up a Christmas tree-mainly as a recognition of my roots. I don't really celebrate Passover or Easter but I do recognize them-again as part of my heritage.

A few months back, Hubby & I decided to do our DNA. So, I was wrong-I am not HALF Jewish, I am only 49.3%. I think there is a difference between the Jewish religion and the Jewish heritage. Despite what the synagogue says, I DO have Jewish blood running through my veins.


Cat
I think a very significant number of Lebanese, Syrians, and Palestinians have Jewish blood. But, I don't know how to view that one. People have been converting to Judaism for 3,500 years. Some Jews look more Chinese than a typical Mediterranean/Middle Eastern person.

Jews are a nation of black, white, yellow, brown, and red people. Every color under the sun really. But, my old man looked somewhat East Asian and he was 100% Polish. Besides being what I can only assume was Ashkenazi blood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 05:24 PM
 
Location: NJ
1,377 posts, read 493,645 times
Reputation: 590
While one can have all sorts of DNA "results" they don't say anything to the point of "being Jewish." A convert who becomes Jewish via a proper conversion might have no "Jewish blood" but be 100% Jewish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 05:40 PM
 
13,092 posts, read 13,681,824 times
Reputation: 9156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Sorry, OP, you are mixing two different terms.
You are not a Jew. You are not born to a Jew female. Period, end of sentence, there is very good reason it was done that way.

You can be Jewish, as belong to Judaism. Nothing keeps you from going that route. You can be born to Jew mother, be a Buddhist, but you will still be a Jew. Being Jew is matter of blood, not matter of faith your parents were or what country you were born in. So saying "my mother was Episcopal" means nothing. It's the blood that counts, not the blah blah blah. You cna be born to a 100 generations pure breed Scots or African royal line, and you can convert to Judaism. And be accepted to the temple. But you will never become a Jew.
if someone has a conversion that is valid according to halachah (Jewish law) then yes they are a Jew. 100%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2018, 08:28 AM
 
Location: Amherst, NY
2 posts, read 694 times
Reputation: 16
If you wish to become Jewish, OP, you can convert to Judaism, as mentioned.

Also, I believe the Reform tradition here in America acknowledges patrilineal Judaism, but if you were ever to make aliyah to Israel, you would have to convert properly (this was the case for many Russian Jews who followed patrilineal bloodline and had to convert again in Israel).

So if you want to be considered Jewish, your best option is to study and convert to Judaism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2018, 09:31 AM
 
Location: US
27,953 posts, read 15,035,923 times
Reputation: 1734
When did Ruth go through the conversion process?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top