U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 03:02 AM

14,912 posts, read 5,002,235 times

Advertisements

There was two kingdoms of Israel, the house of Israel known as the lost ten tribes were not Jews either.

For instance, most people know the story of Elijah but they connect Elijah with Jews when Elijah was not sent against Judah, he was sent against the kinbdom that abandoned Judah by abandoning Jerusalem with it's feasts in order to stay separate from the Jews of Judah.

Everyone reads the story of Elijah calling down fire from heaven as Jewish history when it is not, those 450 prophets of Baal were of the king Ahab and Queen Jezebel, not the king of Judah or the people of Judah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 03:52 AM

1,397 posts, read 499,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker0101 View Post
I have a couple questions about this. When did the government dissolve and why? They still existed during the time of Jesus, correct?

And though the government no longer exists today, the people do? If so, there are a ton of laws that are not followed because they were meant for that specific, theocratic nation, right?
First, remember that in my original answer, I mentioned that one is considered Jewish based on his or her mother's being Jewish.

Second, as to this question, the timeline of the 2 kingdoms is very quickly summarized here. After the destruction of the first temple and the resulting exile, the independent government ceased. That was well before Jesus' time.

What remained was a code of law, constantly explored and explained, which guided the people (read through the pages here for the historical backdrop).

Some of the laws apply only to temple times (and the temple practices, themselves), some are related to life in Israel, and some are about states of purity and impurity that we cannot police today, but a whole slew of them stays with us and drives our daily identity and behavior.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:13 AM

31 posts, read 4,460 times
All of this is so interesting. Thanks again, rosends. I'll check the links right now.

Thanks to you, too, Hannibal Flavius, for your help. I appreciate it.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:30 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,392,522 times
Quote:
Hello everyone. New to the board and had a question for you guys.

So every person born after the flood was directly related to Noah and his family. The people born of Noah and His family were Jewish, so that being the case, there must have been a point in time when some people eventually were not considered Jewish, right? I've heard, "Once you're Jewish, you're always Jewish", but since everyone isn't Jewish today, I can't see how that statement can possibly be true. So my question is this: If it is true (that "Once you're Jewish, you're always Jewish"), why then isn't everyone Jewish today since we are all descendants of Noah? If that statement is not true, then when and how do people go from being a Jew to a non-Jew?
I'm curious as to why you thought Noah and his family were Jewish.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:50 AM

21,380 posts, read 24,159,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
I'm curious as to why you thought Noah and his family were Jewish.

Well the alternative is that in Islam, Noah and his family are Muslims. Since so much of the Quran is copied from the Tanakh then logic follows that people would consider them as Jewish.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:54 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,392,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Well the alternative is that in Islam, Noah and his family are Muslims. Since so much of the Quran is copied from the Tanakh then logic follows that people would consider them as Jewish.
While Islam might teach that they are Muslim, most Christians don't think they were Jewish.
I'll wait for the OP to answer the question.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:27 PM

31 posts, read 4,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
While Islam might teach that they are Muslim, most Christians don't think they were Jewish.
I'll wait for the OP to answer the question.

Pure ignorance, if I'm being honest. For whatever reason, I just always thought that most of the people in the OT were Jewish.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:41 PM

8,817 posts, read 10,729,607 times
Quote:
Thanks Tzaphkiel and rosends.

So that's how someone becomes a Jew? Through conversion? Are there varying beliefs on this? I'm certain I've read that it's only through blood (in fact, I think I read that in a thread on here not too long ago) and that anyone not Jewish through blood is not really Jewish.

Also, how does one convert? What does one have to go through/do/say exactly to be converted?

You have to go to a rabbi and study Judaism. You need to answer questions before a panel of three rabbis called a bet din and commit to the Jewish people and its faith. You will need to take a ritual bath in a "mikveh" and if a male and not circumcized you will need to be circumcized. If already circumcized, or you have health issues making that impossible symbolic substitutes can be done, IIUC.

Orthodox and Conservative will ask you to commit to living by Jewish law, Reform, I think will not.

The rabbis on an orthodox bet din will all be male, not so for C and R.

Orthodox and Consverative will turn you away at first (by jewish law, three times) to make sure you are serious, and not being proselytized. Orthodox may do this more seriously than C. I don't think Reform bothers with that.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:42 PM

8,817 posts, read 10,729,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
the quran shows influences from tanakh, but is also quite different. Seems odd to back interprert from the quran. And AFAIK Christians have always considered Abraham his descendants to be Jews.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:44 PM

28,010 posts, read 15,097,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
You have to go to a rabbi and study Judaism. You need to answer questions before a panel of three rabbis called a bet din and commit to the Jewish people and its faith. You will need to take a ritual bath in a "mikveh" and if a male and not circumcized you will need to be circumcized. If already circumcized, or you have health issues making that impossible symbolic substitutes can be done, IIUC.

Orthodox and Conservative will ask you to commit to living by Jewish law, Reform, I think will not.

The rabbis on an orthodox bet din will all be male, not so for C and R.

Orthodox and Consverative will turn you away at first (by jewish law, three times) to make sure you are serious, and not being proselytized. Orthodox may do this more seriously than C. I don't think Reform bothers with that.
Whoa!...Ainít seen you in a while...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or