U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 04:22 PM

31 posts, read 4,436 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. New to the board and had a question for you guys.

So every person born after the flood was directly related to Noah and his family. The people born of Noah and His family were Jewish, so that being the case, there must have been a point in time when some people eventually were not considered Jewish, right? I've heard, "Once you're Jewish, you're always Jewish", but since everyone isn't Jewish today, I can't see how that statement can possibly be true. So my question is this: If it is true (that "Once you're Jewish, you're always Jewish"), why then isn't everyone Jewish today since we are all descendants of Noah? If that statement is not true, then when and how do people go from being a Jew to a non-Jew?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 06:58 PM

399 posts, read 123,572 times
Noah wasn't Jewish, nor were his children.

A Jew never stops being Jewish, and any (very rare) Israeli government pronouncement to the contrary is false.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:22 PM

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the insight.

Few questions for you:

1) What was he if not Jewish?

2) Who then was Jewish?

3) How is it that they became Jewish?

4) How exactly is every Jew today a Jew?

Old 10-27-2018, 08:32 PM

13,092 posts, read 13,695,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker0101 View Post
Hello everyone. New to the board and had a question for you guys.

So every person born after the flood was directly related to Noah and his family. The people born of Noah and His family were Jewish, so that being the case, there must have been a point in time when some people eventually were not considered Jewish, right? I've heard, "Once you're Jewish, you're always Jewish", but since everyone isn't Jewish today, I can't see how that statement can possibly be true. So my question is this: If it is true (that "Once you're Jewish, you're always Jewish"), why then isn't everyone Jewish today since we are all descendants of Noah? If that statement is not true, then when and how do people go from being a Jew to a non-Jew?
Noah was not Jewish.
Abraham is considered the "first Jew" and he was a convert because he was born into a family of idolaters. His father's family business was sort of the Walmart in his town for selling idols.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:34 PM

1,392 posts, read 497,222 times
1. He was some sort of monotheist

2. "Jew" as a title developed from the kingdom of Judea which had split with the Kingdom of Israel. Judea was made of just a couple/3 tribes with Judah being the largest. So the Hebrew term "Yehudi" developed as a label of someone from that kingdom and part of its culture. The word Judean, or Judahite became Jew over the years to apply to the continued chain of people in this category.

3. They adhered to a particular set of rules which were part of the theocratic government and which continued even when the government was dissolved.

4. Jews today have a mother who is Jewish or have converted according to Jewish law.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the insight.

Few questions for you:

1) What was he if not Jewish?

2) Who then was Jewish?

3) How is it that they became Jewish?

4) How exactly is every Jew today a Jew?

Abraham converted to become the first Jew. His wife Sarah converted. Their son Isaac was born a Jew. Isaac's wife Rivkah converted. Their son Yaakov was born a Jew. His wife Rachel converted and his wife Leah converted. Yaakov's 12 sons were born Jewish and are the progenitors of the 12 tribes.

Jews today are Jewish if they are born to a Jewish mother. Or if they converted according to halacha (Jewish law)

Old 10-27-2018, 08:45 PM

Thanks Tzaphkiel and rosends.

So that's how someone becomes a Jew? Through conversion? Are there varying beliefs on this? I'm certain I've read that it's only through blood (in fact, I think I read that in a thread on here not too long ago) and that anyone not Jewish through blood is not really Jewish.

Also, how does one convert? What does one have to go through/do/say exactly to be converted?

Old 10-27-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks Tzaphkiel and rosends.

So that's how someone becomes a Jew? Through conversion? Are there varying beliefs on this? I'm certain I've read that it's only through blood (in fact, I think I read that in a thread on here not too long ago) and that anyone not Jewish through blood is not really Jewish.

Also, how does one convert? What does one have to go through/do/say exactly to be converted?
two ways to "become a Jew":
be born to a Jewish mother
have a conversion by Jewish law
converts are "really Jewish" if the conversion is done according to Jewish law. some of the greatest Jewish "heroes" were converts or born to converts.

conversion is discouraged. for a lot of reasons. chief among them is since every person has access to G-d through their current religion, then they don't need to convert to Judaism they can just practice their own religion whatever it already is.

it is a long arduous process. often a person is disqualified from converting (not accepted as a candidate) based on their "reason" for wanting to convert.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:07 PM

Wow, much of this is news to me. Thanks again, Tzaphkiel. Really appreciate your help.

Old 10-28-2018, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
3. They adhered to a particular set of rules which were part of the theocratic government and which continued even when the government was dissolved.
I have a couple questions about this. When did the government dissolve and why? They still existed during the time of Jesus, correct?

And though the government no longer exists today, the people do? If so, there are a ton of laws that are not followed because they were meant for that specific, theocratic nation, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or