U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 07:49 PM

13,092 posts, read 13,686,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I fear antifa and angry mobs more than lone gunmen. We need to prepare for the zombie apocalypse, and that means arming ourselves, not relying on a 9 dollar an hour rent a cop.
ours are city police / not security guards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 02:48 AM

27,956 posts, read 15,047,299 times
Quote:
Itís not nice to accuse liberal mobs. Hence zombies..
I see...

Old 10-30-2018, 12:49 PM

1,784 posts, read 521,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
Longer than they have realized.
I grew up in Teaneck NJ, and the only time I saw cops near the temples was on Saturdays directing traffic as people walked. Never once did I see any armed guards. So I had no idea this was happening. This is extremely sad that anti-semitism forced this to happen. Another reason to push certain laws that help the ATF trace illegal guns, and the Baker Act.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:51 PM

1,382 posts, read 494,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
I grew up in Teaneck NJ, and the only time I saw cops near the temples was on Saturdays directing traffic as people walked. Never once did I see any armed guards. So I had no idea this was happening. This is extremely sad that anti-semitism forced this to happen. Another reason to push certain laws that help the ATF trace illegal guns, and the Baker Act.
For a long time, the only cops were those helping congregant cross Queen Anne from Beth Aaron on Saturdays.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:01 PM

12,015 posts, read 16,761,808 times
There are unarmed guards at my synagogue during open hours, and armed off-duty cops patrolling on holidays.

The synagogue also partners with the mosque down the street to take turns with volunteers helping with traffic/parking and to provide a visible presence at each others' major holiday celebrations.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:06 PM

1,784 posts, read 521,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
For a long time, the only cops were those helping congregant cross Queen Anne from Beth Aaron on Saturdays.
I should have clarified, I dont see any cops at the open doors of the Synagogues.
Makes me wonder if there are any isolated lunatics that are lying in wait in Teaneck. I hope not.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:40 AM

3,952 posts, read 3,340,232 times
Police are now doing hourly patrols of all the shuls in town. My shul is hosting a meet and greet with all our beat cops so they can get familiar with the layout of the shul. Our police liaison is helping us create emergency exit plans. And the members are heavily armed Moderator cut: Politics. Fun times.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-31-2018 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: No politics

Old 10-31-2018, 04:04 PM

13,092 posts, read 13,686,909 times
Quote:
Police are now doing hourly patrols of all the shuls in town. My shul is hosting a meet and greet with all our beat cops so they can get familiar with the layout of the shul. Our police liaison is helping us create emergency exit plans. And the members are heavily armed Moderator cut: Politics. Fun times.
it's interesting, I've noticed that for many events city and government officials are consistently invited and regularly included in festivities at shul. not just Purim parties but also bar mitzvah for instance. sometimes I wondered what the point or purpose of that is, but now I can see it is a benefit in having that connection, that relationship visibility connection established with the city and government.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-31-2018 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: Quoted post edited

Old 11-01-2018, 05:28 AM

32,071 posts, read 32,968,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
it's interesting, I've noticed that for many events city and government officials are consistently invited and regularly included in festivities at shul. not just Purim parties but also bar mitzvah for instance. sometimes I wondered what the point or purpose of that is, but now I can see it is a benefit in having that connection, that relationship visibility connection established with the city and government.
That seems like a reasonable assumption.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:42 AM

8,799 posts, read 10,709,555 times
Quote:
I fear antifa and angry mobs more than lone gunmen. We need to prepare for the zombie apocalypse, and that means arming ourselves, not relying on a 9 dollar an hour rent a cop.
FYI, in Charlottesvilel Virginia, antifa was protecting local houses of worship from angry mobs

https://www.timesofisrael.com/police...r-right-march/

In a separate interview, Rabbi Rachel Schmelkin, rabbi educator at the synagogue, noted that members of ďAntifa,Ē the anti-fascist street movement, also defended clergy and houses of worship during the rally.

Many synagogues here are looking at new security plans, hiring guards, and many localities are stationing police at synagogues for shabbat services.

Carrying a gun in a house of worship is complicated under Virginia law (quite apart from any halachic issues). It is also important to be aware of the potential for a gun being used by someone other than trained LE making things worse.

We also need to be aware that privately owned guns are frequently used in domestic disputes, or to commite suicide - as a community where there individuals who suffer from depression, I think we need to be wary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism