U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 01:06 PM

164 posts, read 175,857 times

Advertisements

I am a retired Jewish police officer. I will pack when attending synagogue and do not advertise. The rabbi welcomes those that carry as long as they have a concealed permit since they had a background check.
Can not understand how any Jew of all people would be against firearms for personal protection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 04:15 PM

13,092 posts, read 13,683,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjcohen View Post
I am a retired Jewish police officer. I will pack when attending synagogue and do not advertise. The rabbi welcomes those that carry as long as they have a concealed permit since they had a background check.
Can not understand how any Jew of all people would be against firearms for personal protection.
about the only place I trust conceal and carry is Jews in a synagogue.
particularly in Israel

Old 11-05-2018, 06:09 PM

25,767 posts, read 13,399,507 times
Discussions such as this increase my gratitude at being born in a country where discussions such as this are exceedingly uncommon.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:26 PM

13,092 posts, read 13,683,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Discussions such as this increase my gratitude at being born in a country where discussions such as this are exceedingly uncommon.
Hate crimes against Canada’s Jewish population rose a whopping 24% from 2015 to 2016, according to Statistics Canada.

April 2018 article, "Anti-Semitic incidents rise to record level in Canada. Canada had a record number of anti-Semitic incidents in 2017." Half of them occurred in Ontario, where it looks like you live. Acts of anti-Semitic vandalism doubled, that is a national increase of 100%. Ontario saw the most incidents. Dramatic increase in anti-Semitism in Toronto. Despite making up only 3.8 percent of Toronto's population, 28 percent of the hate incidents in the city in 2017 were directed against Jews. Jews were the most targeted minority group for hate crimes in Canada in 2016.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:42 PM

15,865 posts, read 6,242,907 times
Quote:
I am Jewish. "Enlightened" Jews love favoring those that would kill us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Hate crimes against Canada’s Jewish population rose a whopping 24% from 2015 to 2016, according to Statistics Canada.
No surprise given who your PM and ruling majority party are now, as opposed to pre-October 2015.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:53 PM

8,790 posts, read 10,705,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
This is utterly uncalled for.

Old 11-08-2018, 02:56 PM

392 posts, read 122,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
It certainly is uncalled for. Unfortunately, it is true nonetheless.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:26 AM

15,865 posts, read 6,242,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I would like "brooklynborndad" to explain why it's "uncalled for." This may be the topic for another thread, but Jews have a long history of favorig groups that ultimately do not wish us well or at best don't reciprocate past support. The Jews formed the NAACP and were important leaders in the civil rights movement of the 1960's. Barry Levinson largely wrote the "I Have a Dream" speech. Where is the gratitude of the Left for those actions? Similarly Jews are leading the charge for the admission of Syrian "migrants." I don't see much Radical Muslim gratitude.

"brooklynborndad," if you're really curious read Norman Podhoretz's Why Are Jews Liberals." Or summary, Why Are So Many American Jews Politically Liberal?

Old 11-09-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
The post here was uncalled for.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I would like "brooklynborndad" to explain why it's "uncalled for." This may be the topic for another thread, but Jews have a long history of favorig groups that ultimately do not wish us well or at best don't reciprocate past support. The Jews formed the NAACP and were important leaders in the civil rights movement of the 1960's. Barry Levinson largely wrote the "I Have a Dream" speech. Where is the gratitude of the Left for those actions? Similarly Jews are leading the charge for the admission of Syrian "migrants." I don't see much Radical Muslim gratitude.

"brooklynborndad," if you're really curious read Norman Podhoretz's Why Are Jews Liberals." Or summary, Why Are So Many American Jews Politically Liberal?

Where does one begin? The Jews played a role in forming the NAACP but gentiles both black and white were also involved. Many black civil rights activists (ever hear of Bayard Rustin?) actively reciprocated not ONLY with opposition to antisemitism in the US, but with active and vocal support for the state of Israel.

Jews are not leading any charges, but are continuing to support longstanding US policy on refugees, and helping with resettlement. This is done out of our values - but has certainly been responded to with allyship - not by "radical muslims" but my ordinary Muslims, and many other allies.

And you don't need to tell me about Norman Podhoretz. I read Commentary back when the GOP was still decent.

By the way you appear to be thinking of Stanley Levinson. Barry Levinson, the film maker, did not even yet have any TV writing credits at that time, and he wrote comedy.

But I suggest you take this to politics. Its not about security at synagogues, and certainly not about Torah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism