Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 08:23 PM

34,993 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
In light of the Pittsburgh shooting, I was wondering if the synagogues you attend have armed guards and/or other security measures (cameras, etc.). I was surprised to read that the Pittsburgh congregation didn't seem to have such security measures. What about the synagogues you either attend or know about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
We have (on the Sabbath morning) an armed guard who stands at the end of the driveway. While that may dissuade the uncertain attacker, someone armed to the teeth is not going to be put off by one guy and a handgun who really isn't expecting any problems.
I generally consider security to be ineffectual. However an argument could be made that it dissuades the less motivated or organized attacker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 08:31 PM

22,137 posts, read 19,198,797 times
i've only attended smalls shuls, they have security cameras on all the time inside and outside. and multiple police visible at events and large services. i feel like it is a visible and effective deterrent, and I feel safer having them there, particularly at one shul where we were right across the street from a Middle Eastern market and "groups" would gather in that parking lot and "stare at the shul" which many people at the shul found uncomfortable.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:36 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,042 times
For a long long time now we know that any group gathering will attract shooters, bombers, arsonists, etc.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:35 AM

43,612 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I generally consider security to be ineffectual. However an argument could be made that it dissuades the less motivated or organized attacker.
I definitely think the visible security dissuades the less motivated/organized attacker. But I think it is also can be helpful against the more motivated/organized attacker as well.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:46 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,712 times
I fear antifa and angry mobs more than lone gunmen. We need to prepare for the zombie apocalypse, and that means arming ourselves, not relying on a 9 dollar an hour rent a cop.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:46 AM

422 posts, read 522,986 times
I think it is worth noting that at least four armed policemen were injured at the Pittsburgh incident. Having an armed guard is not necessarily an effective deterrent.
Our shul has an armed presence at times, but not always. That will be changing and doors will be locked. I have been to synagogues in other countries where we were prohibited from entering because we were not carrying our passports (U.S. driver's license was not sufficient validation of identity). Fortunately, we had been in communication with a congregant and he came along while we were still outside and enabled our entry.
We are heartbroken that any congregation of any faith faces this. Remember that a shooter in Kentucky tried to access a church this week but was denied entry. That would have been just as horrific...It's not just us.

Old 10-29-2018, 04:04 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I fear antifa and angry mobs more than lone gunmen. We need to prepare for the zombie apocalypse, and that means arming ourselves, not relying on a 9 dollar an hour rent a cop.
Zombie apocalypse?...Eh???...

Old 10-29-2018, 06:23 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Zombie apocalypse?...Eh???...
It’s not nice to accuse liberal mobs. Hence zombies..

Old 10-29-2018, 06:37 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,136,150 times
I had no idea about this, How long have Jewish people had to have armed security at the temples around the nation?

Old 10-29-2018, 06:49 PM

619 posts, read 310,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
I had no idea about this, How long have Jewish people had to have armed security at the temples around the nation?
Longer than they have realized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism