U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-23-2018, 10:36 AM
 
1,259 posts, read 296,899 times
Reputation: 55

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
The Jewish calendar is lunisolar. It is a blend of both lunar and solar which are intercalated that is interwoven

Ok, let's go with that. Which day does passover occur on in the Lunar Month?

 
Old 12-23-2018, 10:37 AM
 
1,259 posts, read 296,899 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
And nobody has to because your premise is flawed. The weekly sabbath is a function of the cycle of solar days, not lunar months. You insist otherwise, but you are wrong.

So are you saying that God didn't use the moon to schedule his appointed times?
 
Old 12-23-2018, 10:38 AM
 
Location: NJ
1,391 posts, read 497,222 times
Reputation: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWillCome2040 View Post
Ok, let's go with that. Which day does passover occur on in the Lunar Month?
You mean "date". Though the calendar has been established that, today, Passover cannot begin on Monday, Wednesday or Friday, strictly speaking, it could. The number/date is what matters.
www.dailyhalacha.com/m/halacha.aspx?id=1143
 
Old 12-23-2018, 10:43 AM
 
13,092 posts, read 13,695,167 times
Reputation: 9157
Jews have been celebrating Shabbat as the seventh day for many many centuries before "Saturday" was even invented.

Around 3,800 years ago Avraham and Sarah were celebrating Shabbat, and Jews have been remembering Shabbat to keep it holy ever since.

https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...of-Shabbat.htm

"Saturday" was invented anout 1900 years ago

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-23-2018 at 11:09 AM..
 
Old 12-23-2018, 10:46 AM
 
13,092 posts, read 13,695,167 times
Reputation: 9157
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWillCome2040 View Post
Ok, let's go with that. Which day does passover occur on in the Lunar Month?
Festivals occur on the Hebrew calendar. Which is based on both lunar and solar cycles. It is lunisolar.

"The eight-day festival of Pesach (Passover) is celebrated in the early spring, from the 15th through the 22nd of the Hebrew month of Nissan. Pesach commemorates the emancipation of the Israelites from slavery in ancient Egypt. Pesach is observed by avoiding leaven, and highlighted by the Seder meals that include four cups of wine, eating matzah and bitter herbs, and retelling the story of the Exodus."

https://www.chabad.org/holidays/pass...019-Pesach.htm

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-23-2018 at 10:54 AM..
 
Old 12-23-2018, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Eretz Yisrael
21,371 posts, read 24,120,799 times
Reputation: 8869
I think this video fits this thread at this point.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePNY4zc58lw
 
Old 12-23-2018, 11:27 AM
 
1,259 posts, read 296,899 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
You mean "date". Though the calendar has been established that, today, Passover cannot begin on Monday, Wednesday or Friday, strictly speaking, it could. The number/date is what matters.
www.dailyhalacha.com/m/halacha.aspx?id=1143

That is all bunk. If you look at the writings, you will see that the Phases of the moon are dictating the Sabbath ordinals. So therefore, you cannot get the to always align with the named days of the week.
 
Old 12-23-2018, 11:35 AM
 
1,259 posts, read 296,899 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Jews have been celebrating Shabbat as the seventh day for many many centuries before "Saturday" was even invented.

Around 3,800 years ago Avraham and Sarah were celebrating Shabbat, and Jews have been remembering Shabbat to keep it holy ever since.

https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...of-Shabbat.htm

"Saturday" was invented anout 1900 years ago

Yes, Jews have been observing the Sabbath on the 7th day rightly so. But not on Saturday as you may think.


The Sabbath can fall on any day of the week but it will always be the 7th day.


This is easy to see.



Let's say the New moon starts tomorrow which is Monday.


The first sliver starts the counted days for the Sabbaths. Therefore, the next day would be the 2nd day of the month but it would also be the first day of the week.


Therefore, we have


1 Mon - new moon
2 Tues - day 1
3 Wed - day 2
4 T h - day 3
5 F - day 4
6 Sa - day 5
7 Su - day 6
8 Mo - day 7 = Sabbath

The first column above is the day of the month. While the days of the week are numbered for the lighted days of the month.

So by the above you can see that Sabbath would fall on a Monday based on the Lunar Cycle.


Now if you continued to follow the days out - the full moon would fall on the 15th and that would be a Sabbath also.
 
Old 12-23-2018, 11:37 AM
 
Location: NJ
1,391 posts, read 497,222 times
Reputation: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWillCome2040 View Post
That is all bunk. If you look at the writings, you will see that the Phases of the moon are dictating the Sabbath ordinals. So therefore, you cannot get the to always align with the named days of the week.
That just isn't so. Your position is untenable. You are grasping at straws because you want to justify a conclusion that you think is important. Newsflash -- you are wrong.
 
Old 12-23-2018, 11:42 AM
 
1,259 posts, read 296,899 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
That just isn't so. Your position is untenable. You are grasping at straws because you want to justify a conclusion that you think is important. Newsflash -- you are wrong.

Let me ask you this. Is passover during a full moon? and which day of the month is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top