U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 05:05 AM

3,684 posts, read 2,181,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I find that Reform Judaism is very intellectually honest. They donít pretend in the slightest to be something they are not. They donít seek to change Judaism. They just refrain from knowing and doing.
There is that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 08:15 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,433,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
I prefer to answer questions with questions. I would say

"How do you feel when an Orthodox Jew says that you [the reform Jew] are not even Jewish?"

I don't think that "better" is well defined, nor do I think that it is for anyone to judge how 'good' a Jew anyone else is.

I usually agree with your posts. I agree with your second sentence also. However, I don't find it acceptable in this theoretical scenario for the person responding to throw the Orthodox Jews under the bus by bringing what they might say into the argument. I've never heard my Orthodox friends purport that Reform Jews aren't really Jewish. Of course, there are ugly people everywhere that say things like this, and I know there is bickering and snarky comments. They are the exception, rather than the rule.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:44 AM

1,390 posts, read 495,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
I don't find it acceptable in this theoretical scenario for the person responding to throw the Orthodox Jews under the bus by bringing what they might say into the argument. I've never heard my Orthodox friends purport that Reform Jews aren't really Jewish.
that's OK. I have never heard the particular comment "When Reform Jews states that they not only the same as Conservative Jews, but are better Jews;" as asked in the OP. I was just confronting one unheard opinion with another, equivalent unheard, trying to get the hypothetical Reform Jew to have some empathy.

Old 01-06-2019, 12:44 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,433,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
that's OK. I have never heard the particular comment "When Reform Jews states that they not only the same as Conservative Jews, but are better Jews;" as asked in the OP. I was just confronting one unheard opinion with another, equivalent unheard, trying to get the hypothetical Reform Jew to have some empathy.

Ah. I understand now. Thanks!

Old 01-19-2019, 11:10 AM

546 posts, read 566,237 times
Did someone actually say that? I simply cannot imagine it.

No matter what faith or stream of that faith to which you belong, it's useless if it doesn't speak to you in some way and make you a better person. It's not that one is better than another; it's what feeds your soul.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:34 PM

584 posts, read 504,360 times
Quote:
I find that Reform Judaism is very intellectually honest. They donít pretend in the slightest to be something they are not. They donít seek to change Judaism. They just refrain from knowing and doing.
I'm sorry, but what precisely do I "refrain from knowing"?

Old 04-29-2019, 03:13 PM

81 posts, read 14,725 times
I know this is an older thread, but I did want to say I think it depends on the Reform community what they believe and accept (yes, I know there is a reform union, but I'm speaking of the community). My personal practice is more in line with Conservative, and I strive to become more observant. However, we are plugged in to the Reform temple because my kids got a scholarship to go there for school, and we were taking classes there. They have been very good to us. The Rabbi taught me how to make my kitchen kosher, and what things to look out for (cheese, for example; I had no idea many cheeses violate the no mixing law due to rennet). They have helped me define my practice and supported my kids, even though we are probable more observant that the usual member. In fact one of the rabbis has stated that ours is the house he likes to visit because our home is kosher, and so is his.

I think reform (as I understand it) basically accepts ALL level of observance, where as the others require more. I doubt we will leave this temple while we are here, but should we move I will probably look for a Conservative or Modern Orthodox temple.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:12 AM

581 posts, read 58,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
When Reform Jews states that they not only the same as Conservative Jews, but are better Jews; How would one respond to it?

I have never heard any Reform, Conservative, or Orthodox Jews here in New York say that they were "better Jews" than those who belong to branches of Judaism other than their own. The most I ever hear is the differentiation of "frum" and "not frum" in regards to describing how closely one follows halachical observances. And the Jews that I know here will say that of themselves as a simple statement of fact, rather than as a judgment of others.

To speculate on fellow Jews as to whether or not they are as "good" as oneself sounds like lashon hara, to me.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:21 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,714,285 times
Quote:
I find that Reform Judaism is very intellectually honest. They don’t pretend in the slightest to be something they are not. They don’t seek to change Judaism. They just refrain from knowing and doing.
Reform absolutely seeks to change Judaism. That is why they call themselves Reform.

Many Reform Jews know and do. But far fewer than one might think (I am talking about doing Jewish learning and ritual - Reform does plenty on social justice). Some movement leaders are honest about that, enough are not that some Reform young people end up disappointed and are a source of new Consevative Jews.

I am have many positive thoughts and feelings for Reform J, (it is where I began) but ultimately it was not for me.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:24 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,714,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I have never heard any Reform, Conservative, or Orthodox Jews here in New York say that they were "better Jews" than those who belong to branches of Judaism other than their own. The most I ever hear is the differentiation of "frum" and "not frum" in regards to describing how closely one follows halachical observances. And the Jews that I know here will say that of themselves as a simple statement of fact, rather than as a judgment of others.

To speculate on fellow Jews as to whether or not they are as "good" as oneself sounds like lashon hara, to me.

I have not heard R Jews say they are better Jews than C Jews - I have heard them say the C movement is incoherent, will break up, etc. That it will do whatever R is doing but years later.

Of course I sometimes heare that from O Jews (more on line than in person).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or