U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 10:19 AM

81 posts, read 14,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
As Jews, we are still all one family. We may not always agree with each other, but keep in mind that, at the end of the day, we are still Jews.
This is beautiful Rachel, and so true. Remember when the shooters show up where we worship, none of them have said, "Hey, before I pull the trigger, are you Reform, Conservative or Orthodox?" For better AND for worse, we are all in this together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 10:29 AM

558 posts, read 55,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalhevet View Post
This is beautiful Rachel, and so true. Remember when the shooters show up where we worship, none of them have said, "Hey, before I pull the trigger, are you Reform, Conservative or Orthodox?" For better AND for worse, we are all in this together.

Thank you, Shalhevet. As you pointed out, our enemies don't divide us by our level of observance. We need to love and protect each other -- all of us. We ARE all in this together!

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 05-30-2019 at 10:41 AM..

Old 05-30-2019, 01:17 PM

27,954 posts, read 15,043,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalhevet View Post
May HaShem have mercy on them if they enter TFFís shul to do that...

Old 05-30-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Thank you, Shalhevet. As you pointed out, our enemies don't divide us by our level of observance. We need to love and protect each other -- all of us. We ARE all in this together!

Old 05-30-2019, 03:13 PM

3,945 posts, read 3,339,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
May HaShem have mercy on them if they enter TFF’s shul to do that...
One shot max. That’s all a shooter would get to take before being filled like a sieve with bullets. We just went to the range last week as a shul activity. All of us wearing yarmulkes and tzitzi’s loud and proud. It’s important for the goyim to know we’re heavily (legally) armed and we know how to use our weapons.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:24 PM

16 posts, read 1,385 times
Quote:
Everyone has to start somewhere...
Very True. I went from mainstream Christian to Messianic Christian to Orthodox Judaism. I am not the norm. But, my family just couldn't get on board with the orthodox. And I get it. I support them where they are at. It's just hard for ME.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
On reconstuctionists, have you read up on their views?...I wouldnít worry about who is on the Beit Din, because in the end, it is between you and HaShem...I remember JB stating, as a conservative, he and his family decided to move to NY to be in a more observant community, if I remember correctly...I used to live where JB moved from, ainít that a hoot?...Point is, he and his family wanted to be more observant, so they took the steps to do so and so can you...So, donít worry, itíll all work out in the end...
Thank you for your encouragement. I talked to a friend of mine today who told me the same thing - it doesn't matter who is on the beit din. My conversion is between me and HaShem.

I honestly believe the real moment of conversion is when one lets go of their old religion (or atheism) and embraces Judaism for the first time. That moment when they see the light, so to speak. That's really when a person converts. After that, the rest is just a formality to fulfill Torah law. Just my take on it.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
If you find that you are unable to resolve your doubts about converting to Reform Judaism, then you really shouldn't be converting. Is the rabbi of your congregation the only person that you speak with? Have you tried reaching out to other Jews in the congregation to get an idea of how warmly you would be accepted? Also, if you cannot, in your heart, accept a fellow Jew who happens to be gay, then Reform Judaism is not for you. I say this with absolutely no judgment on you, just as it would be my hope that you do not judge me for my acceptance of Jewish gay couples within our congregation.

Converts are often troubled with many questions and indecisions, and I think that's the way it's supposed to be. That's one reason why the conversion process can take up to a year, or longer. You may want to delay your conversion in order to give yourself time to further explore other Jewish congregations. Judaism is a monotheistic religion, but not necessarily a monolithic religion.

As for your concerns about your daughters not sharing your faith in Judaism because they don't want to convert to Orthodox... As Jews, we are still all one family. We may not always agree with each other, but keep in mind that, at the end of the day, we are still Jews.
I reached out today to a dear friend of mine. She's an amazing lady. Born Jewish. 81 years old. Mind sharp as a tack. Stage 4 lung cancer (diagnosed 3 YEARS ago!!! Most don't make it anywhere near that long, but HaShem knows I need her!), works out on her treadmill every day. Amazing.

She told me that I've been working on this for over 10 years - getting my family on the Jewish path and all converting. She said this opportunity to convert with my family is here now - a gift from HaShem - and I should take it because they aren't going to convert orthodox. I can have my orthodox conversion later.

She also told me that who is on the beit din doesn't matter. I didn't vote for a gay cantor. That wasn't my choice. I wasn't even there then. She said I'm not the queen of everything (I can be a bit of a control freak sometimes) and she's absolutely right!

As for being accepted in the congregation, we've been there regularly since last summer. We don't know a lot of people there. Most are either much older than my husband and I, or much younger. But everyone we've encountered has been welcoming.

I have no problem accepting gay or lesbian Jews. And I do believe all people should have equal rights - except for one thing. I do not believe that gay or lesbian Jews should be in postions of leadership within a synagogue. I don't mean to be predjudiced in this area. It's just that, in my way of thinking, the Torah is very clear about this lifestyle, and if it's something against the Torah, how can we put people in leadership positions when we know they have such a lifestyle?

That said, I'm open minded enough to listen to other people's take on the issue. And no, I don't judge anyone else for their opinion. I certainly don't have all the answers. And who knows? Some day I may feel differrently. But that's where my mind is right now.

As for exploring other congregations, I have attended several times an orthodox shul about an hour from me. There is a chabad very close to the reform congregation, but they are not as welcoming at the orthodox.

However, my family likes the reform synagogue, which is about a 40 minute drive from us, and my son is just 10 minutes from there. So, that's where they want to go.

Yes, I completely agree with you about Jews all being one family. If I did not convert reform at this time, and just waited until I can convert orthodox, and if my daughters convert reform and never converted orthodox, I would not consider them any less Jewish. I would love them the same and be thrilled that I can have Pesach with my Jewish children and grandchildren gathered around the table.

That's been my dream from the moment I saw the light in Judaism - to have all of my family gathered around my Pesach table. For a while, I envisioned a long table, beautifully set, and nobody around it. My friend I talked with earlier today reminded me that my dream is coming true - not in the orthodox way I had hoped, but it is coming true none the less.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
One shot max. Thatís all a shooter would get to take before being filled like a sieve with bullets. We just went to the range last week as a shul activity. All of us wearing yarmulkes and tzitziís loud and proud. Itís important for the goyim to know weíre heavily (legally) armed and we know how to use our weapons.
This is something I would like to see at EVERY shul in the US. I don't think anyone carries at our synagogue. I do know they are replacing the front doors with big, heavy metal ones. Right now the entire front of the synagogue is glass. It's scary! They are putting in that 3M film - doubling it some places - to give them time to call 911 if needed. They are pulling tall, bushy trees out of the parking lot because they interfere with the line of vision. But to my knowledge nobody carries. I'm meeting with the rabbi tomorrow. I think I will ask him about it.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
One shot max. Thatís all a shooter would get to take before being filled like a sieve with bullets. We just went to the range last week as a shul activity. All of us wearing yarmulkes and tzitziís loud and proud. Itís important for the goyim to know weíre heavily (legally) armed and we know how to use our weapons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or