Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 05:12 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,662 times

Advertisements

For my fellow Yidden: how about let’s share insights on the parsha this week. Parshas Bo seems as good a place to start as any. When is the best time to begin learning Torah? Why now, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 05:31 AM

In Parshas Bo, we see the Jews were enslaved for only 210 years instead of the 400 that Hashem told Abraham. Did Hashem make a mistake, G-d forbid, or did Moshe write it down incorrectly? Our sages tell us that we really did serve the full 400 years, only we did it in 210 years.

A G-d fearing Yid believes in hashgacha pratis, loosely defined as devine providence. This means that Hashem is involved in every single aspect of the world. If a rock is thrown, it lands in the place it was pre-destined to be. If a blade of grass withers and falls to the ground, it’s because He willed it to be so.

So too our Egyptian enslavement was hashgacha pratis. Hashem had us enslaved because he loves us. The 210 years of slavery gave us full credit for the promise of 400 years. Because we worked so hard and for such long hours each day, we were given full credit for the 400 years in only 210.

This idea is very very far from the wicked. But we G-d fearing Jews know that Hashem runs every aspect of the world. And when “bad” happens to us, we must remember that it was ordained and delivered by Hashem for our benefit.

I hope you all have a great Shabbos this week and I’d love to hear any insights we all may be able to share at the Shabbos table this week.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:30 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
In Parshas Bo, we see the Jews were enslaved for only 210 years instead of the 400 that Hashem told Abraham. Did Hashem make a mistake, G-d forbid, or did Moshe write it down incorrectly? Our sages tell us that we really did serve the full 400 years, only we did it in 210 years.

A G-d fearing Yid believes in hashgacha pratis, loosely defined as devine providence. This means that Hashem is involved in every single aspect of the world. If a rock is thrown, it lands in the place it was pre-destined to be. If a blade of grass withers and falls to the ground, it’s because He willed it to be so.

So too our Egyptian enslavement was hashgacha pratis. Hashem had us enslaved because he loves us. The 210 years of slavery gave us full credit for the promise of 400 years. Because we worked so hard and for such long hours each day, we were given full credit for the 400 years in only 210.

This idea is very very far from the wicked. But we G-d fearing Jews know that Hashem runs every aspect of the world. And when “bad” happens to us, we must remember that it was ordained and delivered by Hashem for our benefit.

I hope you all have a great Shabbos this week and I’d love to hear any insights we all may be able to share at the Shabbos table this week.
This is some awesome insight...Thsnks, TFF...

Old 01-09-2019, 10:57 AM

Question for you all: wed all agree observing Yom Kippur is of huge importance, yet we do so only 1 time per year. Shabbos is also a giant, but we only observe it once per week. So why do we observe yetzias mitzrayim (remember the exodus) every single day? Twice a day, for that matter. Could it be that this mitzvah is 365x more important than Yom Kippur? And if so, why?

Old 01-09-2019, 11:13 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,706 times
yetziyas mitzrayim is a zechira, not an observation as such (except for pesach). The underlying question is why is this particular memory so important and I think the answer is in its formative nature. It is the moment which identified us as a people being extracted from the midst of another -- a trial by fire and demonstration of faith that set the stage for everything else. There could be no Y"K or Shabbat had we not left Egypt. There would be no future redemption if we didn't demonstrate that we were willing to follow Hashem into the desert (Yirmiyah, 2:2).

Old 01-09-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
yetziyas mitzrayim is a zechira, not an observation as such (except for pesach). The underlying question is why is this particular memory so important and I think the answer is in its formative nature. It is the moment which identified us as a people being extracted from the midst of another -- a trial by fire and demonstration of faith that set the stage for everything else. There could be no Y"K or Shabbat had we not left Egypt. There would be no future redemption if we didn't demonstrate that we were willing to follow Hashem into the desert (Yirmiyah, 2:2).
Beautiful!

Old 01-09-2019, 03:16 PM

I sometimes wonder what I would have done before makas bechoros. Would I have paraded a calf in front of the Mitzrim and splashed the blood on my doorpost - proof I had sacrificed an Egyptian “god?” Would fear of man overrule Hashem’s promise? Get it wrong, and you’re in the 80% who do not make it out of mitzrayim and perish along with their “hosts.”

It’s good to think about these brave Yidden who put it all on the line for their love, fear and trust in Hashem.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:45 PM

22,165 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Beautiful posts and insights. Thank you.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:22 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
i sometimes wonder what i would have done before makas bechoros. Would i have paraded a calf in front of the mitzrim and splashed the blood on my doorpost - proof i had sacrificed an egyptian “god?” would fear of man overrule hashem’s promise? Get it wrong, and you’re in the 80% who do not make it out of mitzrayim and perish along with their “hosts.”

it’s good to think about these brave yidden who put it all on the line for their love, fear and trust in hashem.
80%?...

Old 01-10-2019, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
80%?...
During the plague of darkness, chazal tell us 80% of the Jews died, and the extreme darkness allowed the Jews to bury their dead without the Mitzrim seeing, in order that they wouldn’t say the “secularized” Jews were as iredeemable as the the Mitzrim.

It’s not lost on many that this ratio of Jews today is roughly the same. Or that when the Jews returned to Jerusalem after the destruction of the first Beis Hamigdosh, only 20% returned and the rest were assimilated in Bavel and forever lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism