U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2019, 06:39 PM

1,334 posts, read 187,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob II View Post
Well the only thing we can do is put it to a test:

Ethics does not lead religion, it follows. /// Religion does not lead ethics, it follows.

It could be that both are true. There is still a lot of divorce within Judaism. I tend to think that it is not attributed to religion or ethics. The root cause of divorce ( IMO ) is the sensitive timing of the mind. We all have a mental mechanism of timing. In order for us to connect with another person in the most positive way, the synchronization must meet a specified minimum/maximum polarity.

For instance . . . Lets compare a man and woman who are sitting in an office. Both are going to perform a test. They are going to be instructed to leave and walk 2500 ft to a store and purchase 1 bottle of water and return to the office. They do this separately.

Ideally they should be within a few minutes of each other to mark some compatible timing attribute. Being fast or slow in not paramount. It's being within the same basic time frame that counts. They could both be the same religion and it won't matter. If one is constantly waiting on the other all through life. It will eventually take a toll. It causes aggravation, and will just get worse over time. This is actually one of the origins of failed marriages.

Saying that religion matters is like saying politics matters. All those things can change, and often do. But that inner timing within the mind will always be the same. Combine that with solid grounded ethics. Isn't that what Judaism mostly promotes ? Doing the right thing.

We may not be able to make religion important to anyone. But ethics will always win our battle. Even if we are standing all alone.

Jacob, I like your application of abstract thinking here.

https://www.learning-mind.com/abstract-thinking/
"People who think in an abstract way look at the broader significance of ideas and information rather than the concrete details."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 07:34 PM

65 posts, read 11,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
You appear to have a nice grasp of exactly half of what you are talking about. We really appreciate you coming into this forum to describe Jewish belief in any way.

@Rachel New York - Thank You !

@theflipflop I remind you of the topic ' Intermarriage - What should we do about it? '

If it's only important that a marriage be within the same religion. That's easy. . .Just marry someone of the same faith. People do that all the time. But if marriage is going to be ' marriage ' as in really married until death. It's a little more tricky.

The tread title alone is confounding. We should be more concerned about how to avoid a nasty divorce by choosing the right partner. And even after that choice has been made, we still need information on how to stay really married, not just staying in the same house. Things like during a discussion argument. Never say the word " You never - You always ". First it's probably not true. Also stick to the specific article of the argument, there is no reason the back up weeks, months, or years in defending a point. Stay specific to point. If hearing our own voice changing during one of there periods, we need to stop. We are in no position to defend anything. Marriage is not about defense. It's about the capacity to understand.

I've seen Jewish couples who just argue and fight all the time. They probably should consider a divorce. They are never going to get along. They're miserable people, and they make other people miserable.

I just mention I have been married for 42 years.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:48 PM

603 posts, read 166,834 times
The majority of goyim can’t grasp the concept of the difference between Jewish and Judaism. One person told me that their sister married a guy who “used” to be Jewish “little hat and all” but now he’s “normal” ...

Old 04-09-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
The majority of goyim can’t grasp the concept of the difference between Jewish and Judaism. One person told me that their sister married a guy who “used” to be Jewish “little hat and all” but now he’s “normal” ...

Yikes.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:53 AM

33,090 posts, read 34,020,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Yikes.
Yikes indeed! That does sound very weird.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:24 AM

66 posts, read 29,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob II View Post
@Rachel New York - Thank You !

@theflipflop I remind you of the topic ' Intermarriage - What should we do about it? '

If it's only important that a marriage be within the same religion. That's easy. . .Just marry someone of the same faith. People do that all the time. But if marriage is going to be ' marriage ' as in really married until death. It's a little more tricky.

The tread title alone is confounding. We should be more concerned about how to avoid a nasty divorce by choosing the right partner. And even after that choice has been made, we still need information on how to stay really married, not just staying in the same house. Things like during a discussion argument. Never say the word " You never - You always ". First it's probably not true. Also stick to the specific article of the argument, there is no reason the back up weeks, months, or years in defending a point. Stay specific to point. If hearing our own voice changing during one of there periods, we need to stop. We are in no position to defend anything. Marriage is not about defense. It's about the capacity to understand.

I've seen Jewish couples who just argue and fight all the time. They probably should consider a divorce. They are never going to get along. They're miserable people, and they make other people miserable.

I just mention I have been married for 42 years.
I agree that people should marry the right person, but I am not understanding your augment. Marrying the right person and marrying someone of the same faith are not mutually exclusive. Surely with millions of Jews to choose from a Jew can find the right person for them with in their people. In fact in Judaism there is the concept of a soulmate. Based on that concept if you are Jewish your soulmate will be as well. There is also the concept of inviting G-d into your relationship and since Intermarriage is not what G-d wants us to do it is clear that inviting G-d in requires us to marry within our people.

There are also some studies that show that interfaith marriages are more likely to end in divorce:

Interfaith marriages are rising fast, but they're failing fast too

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/06/o...-blessing.html

Old 04-11-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee36 View Post
There is also the concept of inviting G-d into your relationship and since Intermarriage is not what G-d wants us to do it is clear that inviting G-d in requires us to marry within our people.

I respectfully disagree. I think that G-d has a purpose for everything, even if we may not fully understand it at the moment. For example, if G-d had not wanted Esther to marry the Persian king, what would have become of our people then? If G-d had not wanted the Moabite Ruth to marry the Israelite Boaz, what then? If G-d had not wanted the Midianite Tzipora to marry Moses, what then?

I'm not saying that I think that all -- or even a lot of -- mixed marriages are advantageous to the Jewish people. What I am saying is that there will always be extraordinary circumstances, and none of us can truly know the Mind of G-d.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:50 AM

1,738 posts, read 567,665 times
Quote:
I respectfully disagree. I think that G-d has a purpose for everything, even if we may not fully understand it at the moment. For example, if G-d had not wanted Esther to marry the Persian king, what would have become of our people then? If G-d had not wanted the Moabite Ruth to marry the Israelite Boaz, what then? If G-d had not wanted the Midianite Tzipora to marry Moses, what then?
these are not understood to be mixed marriages. Ruth converted, Tzipporah converted and Esther was forced.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
these are not understood to be mixed marriages. Ruth converted, Tzipporah converted and Esther was forced.

Yes, they either eventually converted or perhaps were not married by choice, but the point I was making is that they were not originally "within our own people," and that G-d had a reason for joining them with our people.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:23 AM

1,738 posts, read 567,665 times
Quote:
Yes, they either eventually converted or perhaps were not married by choice, but the point I was making is that they were not originally "within our own people," and that G-d had a reason for joining them with our people.
God has a reason for people to convert to Judaism before they get married yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or