U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 08:43 AM

563 posts, read 55,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
God has a reason for people to convert to Judaism before they get married yes.
I think that there are some people whose reason to convert has more to do with expediting a Jewish wedding and appeasing future in-laws, than having a genuine desire to embrace Judaism.

I also think that there are some people who eventually learn to love and embrace Judaism as much as they love and embrace their married mate. I think that G-d works His Will in such marriages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 01:25 PM

5,917 posts, read 2,286,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Intermarriage - What should we do about it?

Toast the happy couple and wish them well.
Only my one aunt and her two small kids did not attend my wedding because I got married in a Church. My wife has as little religious thinking as I did however the tradition in her small town was to marry in the church. Her family was mostly wedding and funeral Christians meaning that was about the only times they went to church.

We are both atheists now although she spent some years reading up Wicca. Politically I have moved to the left and she slightly to the right so we are actually closer there they when we gotvmarried. TroutDude I thought of myself as Red Tory or a Stanfield - Clark conservative and still think the Lougheed had the greatest impact in my political views.

But we have been together for over 40 years and still very much in love. I never had much contact with other Jews growing up in a small prairie town I would never be willing to step in between a couple who loves each other to stop them from marrying because they are of different religions, race or political stripes. Love , respect and be honest and faithful to each other.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:46 PM

27,956 posts, read 15,043,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Only my one aunt and her two small kids did not attend my wedding because I got married in a Church. My wife has as little religious thinking as I did however the tradition in her small town was to marry in the church. Her family was mostly wedding and funeral Christians meaning that was about the only times they went to church.

We are both atheists now although she spent some years reading up Wicca. Politically I have moved to the left and she slightly to the right so we are actually closer there they when we gotvmarried. TroutDude I thought of myself as Red Tory or a Stanfield - Clark conservative and still think the Lougheed had the greatest impact in my political views.

But we have been together for over 40 years and still very much in love. I never had much contact with other Jews growing up in a small prairie town I would never be willing to step in between a couple who loves each other to stop them from marrying because they are of different religions, race or political stripes. Love , respect and be honest and faithful to each other.
40 years, thatís beautiful...

Old 04-11-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:

Badlander, you and your wife sound like you'll be forever on your honeymoon. Kindness and respect towards others (I believe) is a contributing factor towards a long and happy marriage between spouses. Much love to you both!

Old 04-11-2019, 05:16 PM

5,917 posts, read 2,286,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Badlander, you and your wife sound like you'll be forever on your honeymoon. Kindness and respect towards others (I believe) is a contributing factor towards a long and happy marriage between spouses. Much love to you both!
Thanks, we have had some rough patches , especially when money was tight. Both retired and looking forward to decades more together.

Old 04-11-2019, 05:19 PM

45 posts, read 19,702 times
Quote:

It’s not about stepping in between people it is about giving people the information to make the right choices. It certainly is not about race either as Jews are of all different races. It is about making the decision to live a Jewish life and ensuring that the next generation is Jewish.

If everyone made the decision to intermarry there would not be many of us left. Unfortunately, today when the majority of our people in the U.S. are making that decision and only a small percentage of their children are being raised as Jews we are on course to potentially lose millions of people.

There is a famous saying from Hillel that a lot of people quote:
“If I am not for myself who will be for me? But if I am only for myself who am I? If not now when?”

I think that before people decide to intermarry they should ask themselves some questions:
Am I only for myself? Or do I care enough about my G-d and my people to make the effort to find someone who is Jewish?

Last edited by Maccabee36; 04-11-2019 at 05:38 PM..

Old 04-11-2019, 07:08 PM

54 posts, read 6,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee36 View Post

I think that before people decide to intermarry they should ask themselves some questions:
Am I only for myself? Or do I care enough about my G-d and my people to make the effort to find someone who is Jewish?

If the person you really want to marry just happens to be Jewish. That's fine. Keep in mind you are reading a book of which some passages were intended as metaphors. You eventually have the reality of science. It can only be avoided for just so long.

So. . .What does the Hebrew Bible say about marriage in some cases ?

Quote:
Rabbi Dovid Rosenfeld - It is permitted under Torah law for cousins to marry. In fact, the Sages seem to view marriages between relatives as desirable. The Talmud recommends that a person marry his niece (Yevamot 62b). (Thereís a debate in the commentators if it applies specifically to a sisterís daughter or also to a brotherís.) The assumption is that a person will have an especially close relationship with a close relative, perhaps because of their likely similar personalities and values.

I won't argue that either. This is also someone's own business. Something some people have a hard time minding. Life is about using our freewill, up to and including if we decided on a plural marriage. If anyone is being pressured to marry anyone not of their own choosing. I object !

Old 04-11-2019, 08:49 PM

45 posts, read 19,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob II View Post
If the person you really want to marry just happens to be Jewish. That's fine. Keep in mind you are reading a book of which some passages were intended as metaphors. You eventually have the reality of science. It can only be avoided for just so long.

So. . .What does the Hebrew Bible say about marriage in some cases ?

I won't argue that either. This is also someone's own business. Something some people have a hard time minding. Life is about using our freewill, up to and including if we decided on a plural marriage. If anyone is being pressured to marry anyone not of their own choosing. I object !
Yes, we have freewill, but that does not give us the license to do what ever we want and call it moral. By your logic crimes like murder and stealing would be fine because we have the freewill to commit them.

G-d gives us freewill so we can make the right choices in life and through them become better people. Intermarriage is wrong on many levels. Just because we have the freewill to do it does not make it right.

Old 04-12-2019, 04:38 PM

54 posts, read 6,438 times
Quote:
Yes, we have freewill, but that does not give us the license to do what ever we want and call it moral. By your logic crimes like murder and stealing would be fine because we have the freewill to commit them.

G-d gives us freewill so we can make the right choices in life and through them become better people. Intermarriage is wrong on many levels. Just because we have the freewill to do it does not make it right.

Your statement appears exaggerated. I would ask . . . Is there any 1 instance of intermarriage that would be acceptable ? This would be a Jew entering marriage to a non-Jew.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Intermarriage is wrong on many levels.

Intermarriage isn't wrong "on many levels." It is wrong on only one level, and that pertains to whether or not one is Torah observant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or