U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2019, 07:21 PM

66 posts, read 29,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulmorning View Post
I am not Jewish I was raised in an atheist home and converted to Catholicism at 19. I am now 50 and married a Cradle Catholic (a Catholic born into a Catholic home and raised Catholic). Our three children attend Catholic schools.

I was interested in the part of the discussion regarding Jewish day schools. I was shocked to see how expensive the Jewish day schools were in our city. I compared them with other private schools out of interest. In my experience Catholic schools are some of the most affordable private schools. This is because the whole Catholic community contribute to Catholic schools. Of the money that the parish raises for all causes, some will go to support the Catholic school if there is one associated with the parish. Families that contribute financially to their local parish usually get a reduction in school fees for this reason. Also, families who attend Catholic schools are expected to contribute significant volunteer hours to the school. Of course, in many families these days both parents work, so many volunteer hours can be coaching children at weekends for CYO sports or calling businesses for donations to the annual auction etc. Parents who are available during the day can help the school nurse, work in the library or watch the children at recess. This all helps to keep costs down.

However, Catholic school can still be too expensive for many families. Schools and parishes try to subsidize parents who are practicing Catholics and want a Catholic education for their children, so some dioceses have funds to help those families and also the more children from the same family attending, the cost of each extra child attending is more affordable. In the past Catholic schools were affordable for working class families because Catholic religious orders (nuns and brothers) ran the schools as a ministry and did not take the same salary as a regular teacher, which obviously kept costs down. Since the 1960s the Church has less vocations for these ministries and also times have changed and a nun or brother will be paid the same salary as any other teacher. Catholics teachers are still paid less than public school teachers, but will often choose a Catholic environment because they are Catholic themselves or enjoy the ethos and strong community and parental involvement of Catholic schools.

For example, my son is in 7th grade and there are just two classes. I am contacted immediately by his teachers or principal if there are any issues of any kind. I know a lot of adults are keeping a close eye on him and are not shy in letting me or my husband know if they have any concerns. I like this level of involvement. When there was a suggestion that he might be verbally bullying another student, he was brought in for a discussion, apologized and received a detention quickly with my full support. I know my children will not fall between the cracks or be unknown or unseen. He gets lots of encouragement and support, with high standards in academics and behavior expected from everyone.

My older girls are at a Jesuit High School.

I know that some Bishops have decided to pool all the school funds for all schools in their diocese. In Kansas I believe there is a bishop who makes Catholic school accessible to all families who want their children to have a Catholic education education and he does this by pooling all the financial resources of all the schools.

Religious communities obviously solve their educational issues in different ways, but I would assume that making Jewish Day school more accessible and affordable to be a positive step in encouraging more observance.
Thank you for sharing. Your right education is the key. I think that we should adopt some of these ideas and concepts. The concept for instance of having a central group that collects charity that then gets funneled to schools is an excellent idea. The idea of parents volunteering to keep school costs down is also a great concept.

Children are our future and it is incumbent upon us to give them the best education possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 08:22 AM

19 posts, read 4,560 times
A couple of other comments.

A) I am aware with the huge changes in our economy that young married couples these days can struggle tremendously to send their children to any kind of private school, what with debt from college, the cost of housing and the high cost of living generally. I am sure this is a major factor that must be taken into account so we are not unjustly comparing them to their Boomer parents and a completely different economic situation. Maybe the models that worked in the past for Day Schools for example are not going succeed because they are no longer economically viable for many parents, especially if they want more than one or two children. Maybe a completely different model should be designed, such as having an educational experience on one weekday evening and a Sunday morning for example, with websites and online content and forums - plus a Summer Camp. Something that still brings children and families together over the long term.

B) Catholic schools were often founded in the late 19th century/early 20th century in communities which originally had a high concentration of working class Catholics, often of Irish or Italian descent. Over the decades the neighborhood demographics changed and many students were no longer Catholic but they were still working class. I read a study in the last decade that compared a range of educational philosophies/pedagogies that attempted to improve the educational outcome of low-income children. They found the most reliable educational method of funneling low income students into secure jobs and higher education was a Catholic school in a working class neighborhood. So because of the desire that working class parents have to access Catholic education, Catholic educators and communities have often committed to keep Catholic schools open and viable in low-income neighborhoods (or neighborhoods that had gentrified and who were sending their children elsewhere for school, while the Catholic schools were still willing to serve low-income children coming into the neighborhood for school). Many have not succeeded and had to close but a number have successfully kept schools open. One initiative in Seattle is the Rainbow schools, Rainbow Schools a number of elementary/middle schools in low income neighborhoods that are supported as a group by funding from the diocese and the whole region. It is seen as an issue of justice, that low-income families can get access to a Catholic education if they so desire. These schools are often operating on a shoestring but they are still open and giving hope to the local community.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:46 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,481,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee36 View Post
It must be harder to find someone Jewish if you live in a small town where there are not many Jews. Which brings up a good point there are probably others out there in similar situations. So the question is how do we help them.

I can think of a few ideas that might help. Perhaps one can go on a Jewish singles trip or cruise. If one is religious there are always shabbatons. Now a days there are Jewish dating websites that might be helpful. You never know there might be someone not too far away that you are not aware of and you may find them on a website. If you live too far away from a bigger city to drive, perhaps you can stay over night when they have a Jewish singles event. May be with relatives, friends. or possibly at a hotel.

Can anyone else think of some good ideas to help?
Easy.

1. Put on your best smile.

2. Find a Jewish grandmother. Most any will do.

3. Tell her you're a nice man, and tired of being single.

4. Watch Jewish grandmother work magic.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
Easy.

1. Put on your best smile.

2. Find a Jewish grandmother. Most any will do.

3. Tell her you're a nice man, and tired of being single.

4. Watch Jewish grandmother work magic.
I love it. 🙂

Old 07-01-2019, 06:31 AM

1,337 posts, read 188,673 times
Meetup.com is a website where you can search for groups of people in your area who enjoy the same things you do. You can even specify that you are looking for a Jewish group. For example, I found the Jewish Outdoors Club and I see that they've organized a whale watching cruise for August 4th.

Here's the link for the site's main page, from which you begin searching for what interests you: https://www.meetup.com/

Old 07-01-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Meetup.com is a website where you can search for groups of people in your area who enjoy the same things you do. You can even specify that you are looking for a Jewish group. For example, I found the Jewish Outdoors Club and I see that they've organized a whale watching cruise for August 4th.

Here's the link for the site's main page, from which you begin searching for what interests you: https://www.meetup.com/

Great idea! 👍 I am sure a lot of people can benefit from this.

Old 07-29-2019, 05:47 PM

Throughout this thread we have been discussing how Jewish education is the key. Not only more education, also education that inspires.

The best way is to find a rabbi or a study partner and start learning, not everyone has a place near them where they can learn in person and sometimes it is good to supplement in person learning with online learning as well. For instance, I know some people like:

https://www.chabad.org/ or https://www.aish.com

So my question is does anyone out there have a website or websites where they enjoy learning about Judaism? Perhaps by sharing with each other we can help each other and others learn more about the wisdom and spiritual richness of our heritage.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:43 AM

I see a lot of people looking at this thread. Is there anyone out there who would like to comment? Please feel free all opinions and ideas are welcome. Anything positive to add would be greatly appreciated. The idea of this thread is to have a conversation with the community.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:17 PM

171 posts, read 31,647 times
You already have Aish.com and Chabad.org . Have you see “My Jewish learning” or “ Jewfaq”? There’s also BimBam.com. They have a lot of cute videos on You tube also. There’s Aleph Beta too for You Tube.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:24 PM

171 posts, read 31,647 times
https://100jewishfoods.tabletmag.com/
This is cute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or