U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 05:41 AM

59 posts, read 24,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin mouse View Post
You already have Aish.com and Chabad.org . Have you see “My Jewish learning” or “ Jewfaq”? There’s also BimBam.com. They have a lot of cute videos on You tube also. There’s Aleph Beta too for You Tube.
Thank you PM these are some good suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 08:13 AM

893 posts, read 110,679 times
I just want to make it clear to anyone wandering into this topic that Jewish concerns about religious intermarriage should not be conflated with some other people's concerns about interracial marriage. What I'm saying is intended for such other people who are accustomed to using distasteful terms like "race-mixing" and who wander into our Judaism forum from time to time. Such people tend to view Jews as a race, irrespective of our religious beliefs (which encompass all races).

Just sayin'. I now return you to the conversation.

Edited to add: I don't know whether topic titles can be altered in these forums, but it might be helpful if the word "Intermarriage" in the title of this topic was changed to "Religious intermarriage". @Maccabee36 -- what do you think?

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 09-01-2019 at 08:30 AM..

Old 09-01-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I just want to make it clear to anyone wandering into this topic that Jewish concerns about religious intermarriage should not be conflated with some other people's concerns about interracial marriage. What I'm saying is intended for such other people who are accustomed to using distasteful terms like "race-mixing" and who wander into our Judaism forum from time to time. Such people tend to view Jews as a race, irrespective of our religious beliefs (which encompass all races).

Edited to add: I don't know whether topic titles can be altered in these forums, but it might be helpful if the word "Intermarriage" in the title of this topic was changed to "Religious intermarriage". @Maccabee36 -- what do you think?
Thank you Rachel for stating an important point. This is definitely about religious intermarriage and not racial intermarriage. As Jews we encompass all races.

I am not sure whether or not we need to change the title, it may be enough that we have stated it within the thread and that the thread is within the topic of Judaism. I will think it over and look into whether the title of the thread can be changed.

Last edited by Maccabee36; 09-01-2019 at 10:28 AM..

Old 09-03-2019, 08:37 AM

12,177 posts, read 16,945,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post

I'll just gently say that while I don't know what it's like to be mixed race and can't speak to the discrimination they face, I can speak to the attitude I've experienced from being in a mixed race relationship and it's not too far off from the discrimination I have felt as the child of an interfaith couple.

Both are distasteful.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'll just gently say that while I don't know what it's like to be mixed race and can't speak to the discrimination they face, I can speak to the attitude I've experienced from being in a mixed race relationship and it's not too far off from the discrimination I have felt as the child of an interfaith couple.

Both are distasteful.

Agreed.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

Both are distasteful.
Hi Charolastra00,

I agree with you that the children of the intermarried should not be treated poorly. It is important that we are welcoming, at the same time I think it is perfectly OK to believe in the religious belief that a marriage according to traditional Judaism is between two Jewish partners.

It is not the belief itself that is the issue it is how one uses that belief.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:39 PM

10,774 posts, read 15,995,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee36 View Post
I see a lot of people looking at this thread. Is there anyone out there who would like to comment? Please feel free all opinions and ideas are welcome. Anything positive to add would be greatly appreciated. The idea of this thread is to have a conversation with the community.

What is to add?
You either follow the law of Halakha and do NOT mix blood, or you do not follow, and you do. There is no grey area in-between.

Question is, how to preserve The Law fellowship. The rest resolves by itself. What goes down to the parents primarily. They set example for life. By the age of 7, human is practically shaped mentally and psychologically. You missed the window - you are done.

Lead by example. You can make your child read all you want to, if child sees contradiction to what is read/said/preached in his family - you are done.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:08 PM

28,262 posts, read 15,315,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
What is to add?
You either follow the law of Halakha and do NOT mix blood, or you do not follow, and you do. There is no grey area in-between.

Question is, how to preserve The Law fellowship. The rest resolves by itself. What goes down to the parents primarily. They set example for life. By the age of 7, human is practically shaped mentally and psychologically. You missed the window - you are done.

Lead by example. You can make your child read all you want to, if child sees contradiction to what is read/said/preached in his family - you are done.
It had nothing to do with blood...

Old 09-03-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
It had nothing to do with blood...

Right. I was taught that it has everything to do with a "Jewish soul" passed from mother to child. And converts acquire a Jewish soul upon conversion.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:28 PM

4,980 posts, read 1,001,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
What is to add?

Blood. It's red.

Cut a Jew, it's red.
Cut an Indian, it's red.
Cut a Chinese, it's red.
Cut a Nigerian, it's red.

The only difference is blood type, O, A, B, AB and + or -.

Who gives a flying fig what a "law of Halakha" says? It's no more relevant than the law of Thor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or