U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 08:09 PM

45 posts, read 19,682 times

Advertisements

Ukrkoz,

You are right that we have survived by not intermarrying.
I am not sure however what you mean when you say “That there are biological reasons, why intermarriage is not advised”. Also it is not Henry Kissinger who decides whether or not there will be an Israel like all things in this world G-d does.

Last edited by Maccabee36; 01-16-2019 at 08:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 09:43 PM

25,775 posts, read 13,399,507 times
Reading this thread, I had a vision of a few minnows discussing what the heck to do about the oceans.

ETA: If what is important to you is of real, lasting importance, it will remain.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:42 AM

142 posts, read 67,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee36 View Post
Intermarriage has reached record levels in the U.S.
The intermarriage rate is currently at 58% for all Jews and about 70% for the non-Orthodox see the link below for the Pew Study:

Jewish American Intermarriage Patterns and Other Demographics

What is even more alarming is that only about 20% of the children of intermarriages are being raised as Jews see the child rearing chart for the Pew Study below:

Chapter 3: Jewish Identity | Pew Research Center

Unless something is done to deal with the crisis it looks like we are going to lose a large portion of our population in the future.

We have a lot of very intelligent people in the Jewish Community let’s put our heads together and brainstorm. Perhaps we can come up with some good ideas on
how to at least stem the tide of intermarriage and its associated assimilation. Ideas please.
What do you think we should do?
Here is a novel idea start the Make Judaism great again 2019 campaign by encouraging non jews( who lets face it have a better spiritual potential than this crop of secular jews) to convert and we have more religious jews to marry

Old 01-17-2019, 04:10 AM

Hi TroutDude,

I like your analogy about minnows discussing what to do about the ocean and your belief that what is ultimately important will last. To a certain extent I agree with you, in that I have a religious belief that the Jewish people will always exist. The question is how many of us there will be at least in the near future.

Also in Judaism we believe that we are supposed to be active partners with G-d in repairing the world. Sure G-d could do it all, but G-d wants us to make some effort.

Why is effort important. One could use the analogy of a small child learning to walk. At first the child may stumble and as a parent it breaks your heart you would like to step in and take those steps for the child, but you know that if you do that the child will never grow. We are much like that stumbling child, sure G-d would like to perform the steps for us, but we need to grow in order to reach new spiritual levels.

Getting back to your minnows analogy. Yes, we are all humble people doing the best we can with the limited abilities and resources we possess, but if we can help even one person to get back on the right path and continue their people, think about what a tremendous mitzvah or good deed that would be. If we can join together and with G-d’s help influence more people then we have done even more. There is a saying in Judaism “Do your best and let Hashem(G-d) do the rest” Well I intend to do my best and hopefully others will be inspired to do the same.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:50 AM

Hi AniHaGever,

I like that, it is very funny. I like the slogan too “Make Judaism Great Again” Hmm.. sounds vaguely familiar where have I heard something similar before...

Seriously though, I don’t think that we should give up on the secular Jews. If you dig deep enough below the surface of any Jew, you will find a spiritual spark. A lot of secular Jews have never been fully exposed to Judaism. If we provide Jewish insights and education perhaps we will light a spiritual flame and then there will indeed be more religious Jews to marry

The question is how do we perform the outreach and how do we provide that education? Also are there other ways to light that spiritual flame? What do you think?

Old 01-17-2019, 05:58 AM

32,060 posts, read 32,956,580 times
I don't see how one can prevent non-observant Jews born and raised in the USA from intermarriage as they see themselves first as Americans and their Jewish identity is secondary or practically no existent in many cases.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:24 AM

Hi Chava61,

I think you hit the nail right on the head. It is a lack of Jewish identity. So what do we do about it? Surely there is a way, nothing is truly impossible. If you had the people, money and resources what would you do?

To further emphasis our ability to make a difference. There are certainly cases of people who started as secular Jews and later became more religious. How do we replicate this on a massive scale?

Old 01-17-2019, 07:40 AM

3,945 posts, read 3,337,959 times
The only Jews who have a chance of not perishing within a generation or two are those who have been reached by Othodox outreach organizations like AISH. You want a solution? Go find the the 1 to 10% of Jews who are willing to be reached, and as for the rest... daven for them.

And btw, where does it say that Jews have an obligation to repair the world? Tikkun Olam is a call to improve one’s own personal Torah observance. It’s an inward concept and has nothing to do with staffing soup kitchens in low income neighborhoods.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:19 PM

10,525 posts, read 15,573,695 times
I don't believe, you, as Jews, should "do" something about the topic.
All you can do is to raise a child strong in the rites and the law. Strong enough to resist the society influence. As, there is family and temple. There is community. And, there is society. Also, there are temptations.
hence, a Jew, raised properly enough to be able resist the temptations, strong in his convictions and faith, will not have a problem discussed. It will be non existent, not even considered.

If you try to "do" and force anything, result usually is resistance and rebellion. Just the opposite.
There is no deep philosophy in this. Not chicanery and trickery. It is simple, common sense. Known to your sages and rabbis for centuries.
And from that on, choice is yours.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:32 PM

Hi theflipflop,

I agree with that we need to find that group of Jews that is willing to be reached, I would hope it would be more than 10%. Yes I also agree that prayer helps.

I never stated that you should go and staff a soup kitchen, but I did state you should help your fellow Jew. Are you saying that you do not believe that G-d wants you to do so?
By the way I am not against staffing a soup kitchen to help those less fortunate are you saying that a G-d that loves all people would not want you to help the poor?
I did not use the word Tikkun Olam, but Maďmonides does comment that it requires hard work in all three pillars of Judaism Torah Study, Acts of Kindness, and the ritual commandments.
Are you saying that acts of kindness are only directed internally?

Last edited by Maccabee36; 01-17-2019 at 06:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or