U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 11:06 AM

115 posts, read 18,795 times

Advertisements

I know, that’s why I hate going by reading something alone, things in print sometimes sound differently in person.
It’s easy to read things or interpret it differently than what the person intended.
I thought being Jewish, they were already welcomed and didn’t need an official invite, so I automatically thought it meant the non Jewish partner,my bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 11:23 AM

59 posts, read 24,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
What about the non-Jewish spouses? Are they also invited to these events, or are they going to be politely asked to stay home?
Hi Rachel,

Of course the non-Jewish spouse would be invited, the only exception that I can think of is participation in a religious service.

You seem to have a lot of good ideas what would you invite people to?

Old 09-05-2019, 11:29 AM

59 posts, read 24,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin mouse View Post
I know, that’s why I hate going by reading something alone, things in print sometimes sound differently in person.
It’s easy to read things or interpret it differently than what the person intended.
I thought being Jewish, they were already welcomed and didn’t need an official invite, so I automatically thought it meant the non Jewish partner,my bad.
Hi PM,

It is not so much that people need an invite to go to Jewish events, the point of the study is that although people are already welcome they are not coming. So the idea is trying to get people to go by asking (inviting) them. Perhaps I did not make that completely clear, sorry about that.

Besides communal events, we are trying to come up with things we can do on an individual basis to get people more involved in Judaism. Can you think of any good ideas?

Last edited by Maccabee36; 09-05-2019 at 11:47 AM..

Old 09-05-2019, 11:31 AM

891 posts, read 110,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee36 View Post
Hi Rachel,

Of course the non-Jewish spouse would be invited, the only exception that I can think of is participation in a religious service.
Glad to hear that, Mac. I also know of synagogues where non-Jewish spouses attend services with their Jewish spouses -- the men respectfully put on the kippah that is offered to them at the door before entering the sanctuary. The families pay their membership dues to the synagogue like everyone else, but the non-Jewish members may not vote on matters that pertain to the administration of the synagogue, nor may they serve on the synagogue's board of directors. I don't think that this is an unfair arrangement. And, of course, non-Jews cannot be counted in a minyan.

Quote:
You seem to have a lot of good ideas what would you invite people to?
I'm really more interested in hearing your ideas. I mistook what you were trying to say before. Sorry.

Old 09-05-2019, 02:01 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,414,485 times
Quote:
So the question is how do we as individuals and the community actively reach out. One of the findings of the study was that one may want to start by inviting Jews from intermarried families to non-Religious events as a first step because there are many(not all) that are not very religious. Afterwards one may start inviting Jews from these families to more religious events liket Shabbat dinners. Are there any other ideas out there on how we can get them more engaged?
The community I belonged to in NC was the only one for a large area. It also had a huge military population, with all types of people.

As a result, it had to be a home for all Jewish families, including those where one spouse may not be Jewish. It is a Conservative synagogue, and the rabbi will not perform an interfaith marriage, but interfaith families are always welcomed. The only things the non-Jewish spouse cannot do are religious functions restricted to Jews and be elected to the board of trustees for the synagogue.

As far non-religious events, there were yearly Back to School, Back to Shul barbecues, trips to the local theater, group trips to the museum anytime a Jewish-centric exhibit was there, and other assorted things. We tried to have at least one non-religious event each month to get people together and forming friendships.

Old 09-05-2019, 02:19 PM

28,261 posts, read 15,315,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
The community I belonged to in NC was the only one for a large area. It also had a huge military population, with all types of people.

As a result, it had to be a home for all Jewish families, including those where one spouse may not be Jewish. It is a Conservative synagogue, and the rabbi will not perform an interfaith marriage, but interfaith families are always welcomed. The only things the non-Jewish spouse cannot do are religious functions restricted to Jews and be elected to the board of trustees for the synagogue.

As far non-religious events, there were yearly Back to School, Back to Shul barbecues, trips to the local theater, group trips to the museum anytime a Jewish-centric exhibit was there, and other assorted things. We tried to have at least one non-religious event each month to get people together and forming friendships.
Was that shul over on Raynor road?...

Old 09-05-2019, 02:33 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,414,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Was that shul over on Raynor road?...
It's on Morganton Rd. towards downtown.

Old 09-06-2019, 02:28 AM

28,261 posts, read 15,315,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
It's on Morganton Rd. towards downtown.
Ah, ok, I donít think I ever noticed it or I had and donít remember it...

Old 09-06-2019, 11:35 AM

Morganton Rd? Is that the one with the Rabbi who loves Hockey? I think her name is Eve or Eva? That might be closer to Ft Bragg though, I think. They built up the area so much, that when we visited it last year, it was so built up. I remember the pre- “ All American Expressway “ days with pleasure.

Old Yesterday, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Hi PM,

It is not so much that people need an invite to go to Jewish events, the point of the study is that although people are already welcome they are not coming. So the idea is trying to get people to go by asking (inviting) them. Perhaps I did not make that completely clear, sorry about that.

Besides communal events, we are trying to come up with things we can do on an individual basis to get people more involved in Judaism. Can you think of any good ideas?
Individual, like a mentor program, or big brother/ sister ,to explain customs or prayers, or inviting them to seders, or Chanukah , or family activities with a family in the congregation? Showing Jewish movies , question and answer sessions,will probably be considered communal though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or