Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2019, 04:12 PM

108 posts, read 64,375 times

Advertisements

Hi Chava61,

Geography can be an impediment, but it is not an impossible obstacle. I think that you can still do some good. It seems that you have already figured out the right path. The internet can be a powerful tool. As the children get older may be you can have longer conversations and if their mother is OK with it send them videos and articles about Judaism and Israel. I think that there are probably online Jewish courses and games as well. What do you think?

There also some Jewish Organizations that young people can join. May be you can look into whether there are chapters in their area. This would probably be for when they are older.

May be when you visit each other it would also be an opportunity to discuss and do Jewish things?

Last edited by Maccabee36; 02-03-2019 at 05:02 PM..

Old 02-04-2019, 05:40 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee36 View Post
Hi Chava61,

Geography can be an impediment, but it is not an impossible obstacle. I think that you can still do some good. It seems that you have already figured out the right path. The internet can be a powerful tool. As the children get older may be you can have longer conversations and if their mother is OK with it send them videos and articles about Judaism and Israel. I think that there are probably online Jewish courses and games as well. What do you think?

There also some Jewish Organizations that young people can join. May be you can look into whether there are chapters in their area. This would probably be for when they are older.

May be when you visit each other it would also be an opportunity to discuss and do Jewish things?
Their mother/my sister and I have very little contact (so the last visit was a few years back). I already know that the boy wasn't all the interested in having a Bar Mitzva but his grandfather/my father made sure that it happened with that trip to Israel for the boy's Bar Mitzva. In any case, it is their mother's (my sister's) job to connect them to their Jewish heritage as I can only suppliment with sharing occasionally articles or videos via the messenger app that they use (as perhaps I get to talk them once or twice a year when they call to thank me for a Chanukah or birthday gift).

On the other hand, my brother's children (whose mother is actually Israeli) go to a Chabad Hebrew School. The 2 girls have had Bat-Mitvas and Hebrew was their first language. Also I am sure my brother's son will have a Bar Mitva when he is old enough. On the other hand being that my sister-in-law's parents were from Romania, there is no kashrut observed in my brother's home (whereas my sister with the goy husband keeps basic kosher rules in her home!). So hard to say which situation is better for preserving Jewish tradition when all of these children become adults and leave home.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:00 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,662 times
Chava, that’s a good question - which one is more likely to preserve their Judaism. Seems like each home has some level of cognitive dissonance. If I had to guess, I’d say the kids eating kosher wins out over a stam reform upbringing. But only Hashem knows.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:18 PM

Hi Guys,

This really is not a thread about politics. Instead of discussing Birthright from a political standpoint, let’s discuss it from an intermarriage perspective. According to this article Birthright is having a positive effect:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.haa...jews-1.5263427

I don’t think one program solves the issue though, the intermarriage rate of participants is still too high and may increase as more children of intermarriage participate in the future. This more recent article article has the intermarriage rate of all participants at 38% and at 67% for participants with one Jewish parent:

The Latest on Birthright Israel and Intermarriage - Edmund Case

Has anybody out there gone on Birthright? If so do you think it has had a positive effect on your Jewish identity? Are you less likely to intermarry because of it? Should there be more Jewish education on the trip and afterwards? How do you think it has affected others on the trip?

What about others who have not been on the trip. What is your perception of it?

Last edited by Maccabee36; 02-04-2019 at 06:44 PM..

Old 02-04-2019, 07:56 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,959,283 times
Go to the wedding and give a nice gift?

Old 02-07-2019, 05:36 AM

How would that help? The object of this is to disuade intermarriage not encourage it. A marriage between a Jew and a non-Jew in Judaism is not considered to be a valid marriage. A lot of Jews, including my self would not attend a so called intermarriage ceremony because we do not believe that G-d would approve.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:26 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
More than a dozen posts have been removed due to their political nature. This thread is to discuss intermarriage.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:24 PM

Intermarriage is bad bad bad. Could there possibly be anything further to say in this thread?

Old 04-05-2019, 05:54 AM

603 posts, read 442,759 times
I think all you can do is expose them to the culture ( and keep the culture central in their daily lives). Religious observance can vary wildly but those Jewish communities that keep rather traditional culture around the family like my family did tend to raise children that do the same and are less likely to intermarry.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
I think all you can do is expose them to the culture ( and keep the culture central in their daily lives). Religious observance can vary wildly but those Jewish communities that keep rather traditional culture around the family like my family did tend to raise children that do the same and are less likely to intermarry.
Your solution could potentially save a handful of Jews. Certainly better than pretending you’re a goy and acting like the nations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism