U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 07:55 PM

8,671 posts, read 3,102,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
I read what she posts; I'm not the one who's confused here.
Welcome to a fold...

As for the question in your heart.?
Have you found comfort at the southern gate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 08:54 PM

13,092 posts, read 13,685,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
And our answers also identify our blinders and the lens through which we distill our limited view of reality.
Then at this point in time, it occurs to me to find good in every person, find good in every Jew.

I appreciate what JB posted earlier about the importance of keeping peace between Jews and among the Jewish people. And I agree. Every Jew is precious to Hashem and every Jew is necessary. Just as a Torah scroll is not complete if even one letter is missing so too every Jew is needed for the Jewish people to be complete.

We are one people. A Jew is a Jew. This makes me very happy.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:11 AM

27,956 posts, read 15,043,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Oh,
Is that what you call Torah?

By all means move me with The Power you hold in your heart.

Bring rashi and you will lose youngin
No, itís what youíre building up to...

Old 03-14-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Then at this point in time, it occurs to me to find good in every person, find good in every Jew.

I appreciate what JB posted earlier about the importance of keeping peace between Jews and among the Jewish people. And I agree. Every Jew is precious to Hashem and every Jew is necessary. Just as a Torah scroll is not complete if even one letter is missing so too every Jew is needed for the Jewish people to be complete.

We are one people. A Jew is a Jew. This makes me very happy.
and turning Torah into prayer...

"Hashem! Hashem! Spread over us your sukkah of peace, each of us individually and all of us as one the Jewish people. We are your children and just as children may argue but are united in their devotion to Tatte, and seek to please their Tatte, and be close to Tatte, see that we are united at all times in our devotion to you Hashem. May the words of our mouth and the meditations of our heart be pleasing before you Hashem, each of us individually and all of us as one. Hashem, see this fulfilled in us, how good and pleasant it is when we dwell together in peace.

"If we have conflicts may they be conflicts for the sake of heaven, and not be conflicts not for the sake of heaven. If we argue about Torah study, prayer, and mitzvot, and how best to serve you Hashem and how best to live a Jewish life, then Hashem surely this demonstrates how important these are to us your children. Thank you Hashem, speedily and in our time, Amen."

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 03-14-2019 at 10:33 AM..

Old 03-14-2019, 10:32 AM

sukkah = "shelter" or "canopy"
Tatte = "father"

Old 03-14-2019, 01:45 PM

29 posts, read 9,510 times
Default Follow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
I would also say consider your intention in wearing or displaying the symbol. Is it because you want to talk about your own religion?

There are many ways to show support for Jews and Israel and the Jewish people.
Hi there. I was going to post here anyway but your comment gets to the heart of what I'm trying to figure out. I spoke with a modern Orthodox rabbi years ago and attended shul, and decided that I couldn't get past the complete trauma that would happen in my family if I stopped observing Christmas and was not allowed to enter a Christian place of worship for anything but a funeral.

Later, I attended Reform synagogue more times, and found a more relaxed environment, but decided that I couldn't give up my belief in Jesus Christ, and still can't. So conversion to Judaism is a no go for me.

My dilemma is that I still have a desire to do well by Jewish people and make life better for them, because they are the original people of God and they are a persecuted, small minority that needs protection. As a hobby, I study biblical Hebrew and a bit of modern as well. I've been to Israel twice. However, I've come to realize that all I will ever be to Jews is a friend walking along the path with them, on a different trajectory but still on the path towards God. This is fine with me. I can do more for Jews as a non-Jew than I ever could as a Jew. It took me some experiences in Orthodox and Reform synagogue to figure this out.

So, could you please expand upon your sentence, "There are many ways to show support for Jews and Israel and the Jewish people"?

Peace, and thanks.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:00 PM

8,671 posts, read 3,102,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer1982 View Post
I need to state first off that I'm not Jewish. That is the reason for this post.

My question is about the Star of David. I need to know if it would be considered offensive for someone who is not Jewish to wear one. My reason for wearing one would be simple. I admire the Jewish people. I can go into detail about that if anyone wants. But I wanted to ask this question first.
it may not be appropriate to wear jewelry to a wedding.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:12 PM

1,382 posts, read 494,347 times
Quote:
according to whom?

Old 03-14-2019, 02:55 PM

27,956 posts, read 15,043,765 times
Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or