Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does anyone else find it offensive when another Jew celebrates Christmas?
Yes. We aren't Christians and we should maintain our identity and not adopt their practices. 10 55.56%
No. 8 44.44%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 809 times

Advertisements

I do. We aren't Christians and we should maintain our identity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 06:14 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
I find it weird that a distant cousin of my father's is worried about her daughter's children's Jewish identity gives her grandchildren Christmas gifts as well as Chanukah gifts each year.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:37 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
😳

Old 04-26-2018, 08:08 AM

623 posts, read 312,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelle12 View Post
No disagreement with the second sentence, nor with Chava61's finding her relative's behavior strange weird. There are probably quite a few non-complimentary adjectives that I would find fitting for such behavior, but it happens that "offensive" is not one of them. Whom is it offending?

I find J4J far more offensive, not that thinking or believing such nonsense is offensive, but that some (most?) of these people actually have the chutzpah to address me with their beliefs. But that is a whole nother subject, which experience tells me can not be discussed on this forum, because our esteemed moderator (I mean that quite seriously, NOT sarcastically) would not allow me to express publicly my carefully considered feelings about their religion. I'm not even sure that he is wrong in so doing!

Old 04-26-2018, 09:17 AM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelle12 View Post
Yes. Miss Daisy did, remember?

ETA: I went looking for a clip on this and ended up on the Imbd site. In the facts/trivia section about the movie, it says that the screenwriter, Alfred Uhry, who based the play on his grandmother and her chauffeur, said that growing up Jewish in the Atlanta region in the 40s and 50s, many people observed Christmas in an attempt to be part of the community, and so he incorporated that into the script--the son and his wife have a Christmas tree and exchange gifts, and Miss Daisy is disgusted by it.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-26-2018 at 09:26 AM..

Old 04-26-2018, 09:19 AM

22,165 posts, read 19,217,049 times
i find it a little strange that someone's first post on CD is....on this? I guess I would like to hear more and know more about OPs own background and personal story and reason for posting this as a thread topic. It helps us have a greater understanding of who you are and your motivation in posting and your personal interest in and relationship to the question you are asking and starting a thread on.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 04-26-2018 at 10:12 AM..

Old 04-26-2018, 01:56 PM

6 posts, read 5,634 times
I have an older friend who grew up in Chicago. Her father owned a furniture store and she practically lived there while growing up. They would deck the store out in Christmas decorations every year - which makes sense since most if not all of their customers were gentiles. When her father passed away she started stringing lights and greenery around her house at Christmastime.

Now, is that considered celebrating Christmas? She doesn't pray to Jesus or go to church. The "season" just holds sentimental value to her. If a Jew is going to religious services or actively participating in church-related activities that's another story ...

🤷

Old 04-26-2018, 02:28 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,662 times
The Torah calls it chukas hagoyim, and it’s forbidden to copy the ways of the goyim.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:38 PM

23,144 posts, read 10,445,085 times
A person is only sealed by what worship system they keep. God tells us over and over that if you keep his unleavened bread, his Sabbaths, and his feasts and you love the law, and the law is always on your lips, it is then that a person is sealed against the day of judgment and that is a pretty big reason not to keep the ways of other gods.

Ezekiel 9
The LORD said to him, "Go through the midst of the city, even through the midst of Jerusalem, and puta markon the foreheadsof the menwho sighand groanoverallthe abominations which are being committed in its midst."

This is the same seal we are told about in Exodus 13 and elsewhere, those people had brought their paganism up to the temple just 40 years after king Josiah had broken down the pagan alters when they took the pagan statue of Ishtar out of the temple, and these women were still weeping for that image 40 years later. The abomination of turning your back on the temple is about the Saturnalia, and those people who brought all the paganism to the temple of God die, interestingly enough, this all begins in Ezekiel 8, but when we read of this last sacrifice of God that is given to the birds of the air, the date has just changed as the date changes with the sacrifice in the Eve. The ones who survive are the ones who are mourning and sighing over people taking the holy days of God to then make them pagan, and so they are sealed and marked in their forehead as God promises,'' You keep my Sabbaths and my feasts and you love my law and the law is always on your lips, it shall be as a memorial between your eyes and upon your right hand.''

I should say that it makes a very big difference in whether you are keeping God's ways or the ways of other Gods, I think it defines a person.

Just about every time we ever saw the people of God get into trouble, IT ALWAYS had to do with people taking Christmas to add it into their religion. Christmas was being kept long before Christianity came along, and ten tribes were wiped out for this very same practice. The ten tribes were ended because of the sins of Jeroboam. Christmas has historically been used as a vehicle to kill the children of Israel.

1 Kings
Jeroboam's Idolatry ~ Making his own feasts.
25Then Jeroboam built Shechem in the hill country of Ephraim, and lived there. And he went out from there and built Penuel. 26Jeroboam said in his heart, "Now the kingdom will return to the house of David. 27"If this people go up to offer sacrifices in the house of the LORD at Jerusalem, then the heart of this people will return to their lord, even to Rehoboam king of Judah; and they will kill me and return to Rehoboam king of Judah."…

Jeremiah 10 ~ Same sins that ended the northern kingdom of Israel.
1Hear what the Lord says to you, people of Israel. 2This is what the Lord says:
“Do not learn the ways of the nations
or be terrified by signs in the heavens,
though the nations are terrified by them.
3For the practices of the peoples are worthless;
they cut a tree out of the forest,
and a craftsman shapes it with his chisel.
4They adorn it with silver and gold;
they fasten it with hammer and nails
so it will not totter.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:17 AM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
I remember reading an interview with Stephen Spielberg years ago about his childhood. He was a fat, uncoordinated kid who never made friends until he showed up at school one day with his 8mm camera and asked the jocks to do things for him to film.

He also said his family were the only Jews on a street that every year won the award for the best Christmas light displays in town. The Spielberg house was dark and stood out among the others. He asked his father if they could just at least put up a few strings of lights, and his father said, "No, we are Jewish and we don't do that." As an adult, he was grateful to his father for showing him how to stand by what he believed in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism