U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2019, 05:58 AM

3,447 posts, read 664,624 times

Advertisements

Like the parallel thread about shark being kosher, this thread will serve dual purpose. (Choose whichever sub-topic mists interests you.)

1) Is swordfish kosher?

As a conservative Jew, I remember that during my childhood we never ate swordfish - treif. But at some point, the rabbi told my mother that swordfish was permitted because as a young'un it has visible scales (but as I understand it, they fall off in maturity). So, my fellow kosher or kosher-style Jews, does swordfish grace your dinner table? (Please specify whether you are Orthodox, Conservative, or Reform.)

2) How do we combat rising anti-semitism?

I am particularly concerned about the growing tolerance, "soft-peddling," and/or downright advancement of antisemitism in the Democratic Party, as exemplified by Omar and the D response to her remarks. But since this is the religion forum and not political, let's focus on what we can do to combat this type of thing. I'll start:

A. Donate to organizations that offset the demonization of Israel
B.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:16 AM

3,964 posts, read 3,346,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post

A. Donate to organizations that offset the demonization of Israel
B.
B. Daven. All these anti-Jews in half of the government today were elected by our fellow Jews. But remember, Hashem allowed us to elect these monsters who want to destroy us from the river to the sea. If we want to understand why we merit such disgusting Jew-hate filled leaders, itís time to introspect and to ask Hashem for forgiveness. (BTW, the answer isnt to suddenly start voting Republican. If we donít fix the core issues here, Hashem will just replace the one Jew hate filled party and will send these ďagentsĒ to the other party).

And Rachel, nice to see you here in this forum. Stick around. This forum lacks the monsters in the political forums here, but thereís good stuff here too, if a bit less dramatic.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:30 AM

32,108 posts, read 33,017,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post

1) Is swordfish kosher?

As a conservative Jew, I remember that during my childhood we never ate swordfish - treif. But at some point, the rabbi told my mother that swordfish was permitted because as a young'un it has visible scales (but as I understand it, they fall off in maturity). So, my fellow kosher or kosher-style Jews, does swordfish grace your dinner table? (Please specify whether you are Orthodox, Conservative, or Reform.)
For a type of fish to be kosher it must have both fins and scales. I assume the assessment is made on adult fish rather than the "baby fish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism