U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2019, 10:29 PM

4,127 posts, read 3,785,985 times

Advertisements

https://www.timesofisrael.com/why-or...sles-outbreak/

I can certainly understand ignorance in Haredi communities, since secular education is so lacking in their schools. But how could a Jewish school that only accepts Jews accept a RELIGIOUS exemption to immunization, when declining immunization is so clearly against Jewish law? Jewish law requires that we do everything possible to protect our health and our lives, and declining immunizations leaves one vulnerable to life-threatening disease. There is absolutely no way that Jewish law would REQUIRE that one refuse immunization - in fact, a very strong argument can be made that Jewish law would require compliance with recommended immunizations. So how can a Jewish school that accepts only religious Jewish families accept a supposed RELIGIOUS exemption for a student?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 12:11 PM

582 posts, read 58,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
So how can a Jewish school that accepts only religious Jewish families accept a supposed RELIGIOUS exemption for a student?

Probably because the people who run the school don't know any better, either. I think that L'via Weisinger of the Orthodox Jewish Nurses Association nailed it when she said in that article you linked: "There’s a lack of trust in the government that goes way back. You have others who really care about their kids who are not educated. They’re not out in the real world hearing real science. They’re not taught to discern between conspiracy theories and real science."

While it's true that Jewish law doesn't forbid immunizations, education is needed to show people exactly how declining immunization threatens not only our own health and safety, but also the health and safety of those around us. Which is not easy, considering that there are a lot of anti-vaxxers who are telling people the exact opposite.

Here's a great article I came across at Judaism and Science:
http://www.judaismandscience.com/a-n...r-and-required

EDIT: Sorry I couldn't get the link to work.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:22 PM

11,182 posts, read 11,001,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Probably because the people who run the school don't know any better, either. I think that L'via Weisinger of the Orthodox Jewish Nurses Association nailed it when she said in that article you linked: "There’s a lack of trust in the government that goes way back. You have others who really care about their kids who are not educated. They’re not out in the real world hearing real science. They’re not taught to discern between conspiracy theories and real science."

While it's true that Jewish law doesn't forbid immunizations, education is needed to show people exactly how declining immunization threatens not only our own health and safety, but also the health and safety of those around us. Which is not easy, considering that there are a lot of anti-vaxxers who are telling people the exact opposite.

Here's a great article I came across at Judaism and Science:
http://www.judaismandscience.com/a-n...r-and-required

EDIT: Sorry I couldn't get the link to work.
Your link is OK. You can't make active links until you're a member for a few days and have a few posts under your belt. The system software does that to thwart spammers.

Old 03-30-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Your link is OK. You can't make active links until you're a member for a few days and have a few posts under your belt. The system software does that to thwart spammers.

Thanks for clearing that up, mensaguy! I thought I was overlooking some sort of special forum code to do that! LOL

And thanks for fixing that link for me!

Old 03-30-2019, 06:31 PM

55 posts, read 6,919 times
Long ago it was not unusual for a community to lose over half, and sometimes every child within the community to a common childhood disease. They in fact thought these diseases were the result of demons.

During the writing of the Hebrew Bible and Talmud. There was no such thing as Vaccinations. But I'm pretty sure if there had been vaccinations available, they would have been strongly endorsed.

I got a flu shot back in September 2018. I also had the flu about 3 weeks ago. I woke up feeling nauseous, and by noon to mid-afternoon, I felt fine. It didn't have to be this way. It could have incubated for a few days, resulting in vomiting, fever, possibly a visit to the ER. Many people die from the flu.

That simple free shot was well worth the time to take it.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:06 PM

1,390 posts, read 496,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
https://www.timesofisrael.com/why-or...sles-outbreak/

I can certainly understand ignorance in Haredi communities, since secular education is so lacking in their schools. But how could a Jewish school that only accepts Jews accept a RELIGIOUS exemption to immunization, when declining immunization is so clearly against Jewish law? Jewish law requires that we do everything possible to protect our health and our lives, and declining immunizations leaves one vulnerable to life-threatening disease. There is absolutely no way that Jewish law would REQUIRE that one refuse immunization - in fact, a very strong argument can be made that Jewish law would require compliance with recommended immunizations. So how can a Jewish school that accepts only religious Jewish families accept a supposed RELIGIOUS exemption for a student?
I think that you are oversimplifying the subtleties and application of various Jewish laws. Many people who are against vaccines (rightly or wrongly) believe that they cause harm, so they feel that they are abiding by Jewish law when not pursuing vaccination. Claiming that something is "clearly against Jewish law" does not make that the understanding of everyone.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob II View Post
During the writing of the Hebrew Bible and Talmud. There was no such thing as Vaccinations. But I'm pretty sure if there had been vaccinations available, they would have been strongly endorsed.

I think so, too, Jacob. I think that modern society has become complacent because we're not seeing the huge loss of life that previous generations were familiar with before the advent of vaccines. Anybody who has ever had an interest in genealogical research will have seen for themselves the shocking rate of mortality back in those days. The Spanish flu epidemic of 1918 killed nearly 100 million people -- between 3 to 5 percent of the world's entire population.

I also think that rabbis who lived through such times would think that people today who refuse vaccines must be meshugge.

From the article at Judaism and Science, that I linked in my previous post:

Quote:
The rabbinic discussion also considered whether the requirement to protect health was a negative or a positive mandate. The former would only require staying away from danger, but the latter would require affirmative conduct to protect one’s health. Rambam, in his summary of Jewish law, the Mishneh Torah, concluded that the duty was a positive one, and required proactive measures to mitigate a foreseeable harm. (See Mishneh Torah, Hilchot De’ot 4:1; Rotzei’ach 1:6, 14.) Similarly, the Shulchan Aruch, Joseph Caro’s mid-sixteenth century restatement of Jewish law, reaffirms that there is a religious obligation to take affirmative steps to prevent an anticipated danger to oneself or to others. (See Shulchan Aruch, Chosen Mishpat 427:8.)

Old 03-31-2019, 05:04 PM

14,818 posts, read 4,973,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Claiming that something is "clearly against Jewish law" does not make that the understanding of everyone.
I don't know anything about that person whether a Jew or Gentile, but I can sure relate as a Gentile stuck in pre concieved ideas about Jews and Judaism lol. I had been so completely wrong, and I had no idea I had a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or