U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 11:42 AM

14,802 posts, read 4,968,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Eh?...
Been throwing jokes at you for years and I never get a grin, wassup with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 11:44 AM

56,056 posts, read 54,552,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
<snip>These cues can be anything from casually inserting a Jewish word or expression into your conversation with someone whom you think might be Jewish

<snip>
That won't really work in the NYC metro area, because even we goyim here use those words and expressions.

Old 04-07-2019, 01:31 PM

580 posts, read 57,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That won't really work in the NYC metro area, because even we goyim here use those words and expressions.

Thus proving Lenny Bruce's quote: "Even if you are Catholic, if you live in New York you're Jewish."

Old 04-12-2019, 01:36 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,432,423 times
I do. We're in a small southern town where there are not many. I look for a necklace like a tree of life, or something Jewish-y. Most of the time, if I'm going to ask, I come out with, "Are you Jewish like I am?" There is a big stigma to being Jewish here sometimes, and non-Jewish people can be really cool or really off-putting about Jewish people. So you can't just say, "Are you Jewish?" without shocking people. I love to connect with my people, though! I'm usually correct. One guy from Israel was a Jewish Christian, and the other guy had a Jewish dad but a Catholic mom, and he was raised Catholic.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
I do. We're in a small southern town where there are not many. I look for a necklace like a tree of life, or something Jewish-y. Most of the time, if I'm going to ask, I come out with, "Are you Jewish like I am?" There is a big stigma to being Jewish here sometimes, and non-Jewish people can be really cool or really off-putting about Jewish people. So you can't just say, "Are you Jewish?" without shocking people. I love to connect with my people, though! I'm usually correct. One guy from Israel was a Jewish Christian, and the other guy had a Jewish dad but a Catholic mom, and he was raised Catholic.

I'm not sure what exactly a "Jewish Christian" is , but it's always interesting to connect with different people and hear their stories about themselves. Sorry about the problems you've had where you live. Don't let it get you down – and keep on bageling!

Old 04-13-2019, 07:34 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,432,423 times
You're so nice! Thank you.

You're exactly right - I don't think that's the term he used. I have no idea what a "Jewish Christian" would be, either. I think he said he was an Israeli Christian, which surprised me a little bit, but it shouldn't have; I know there are Christians in Israel, but I was puzzled. He said he fasts for Easter and Christmas, and at that point, I was so confused and lost interest in the whole thing, since he might have been Messianic and I didn't want to hear more.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
You're so nice! Thank you.

You're exactly right - I don't think that's the term he used. I have no idea what a "Jewish Christian" would be, either. I think he said he was an Israeli Christian, which surprised me a little bit, but it shouldn't have; I know there are Christians in Israel, but I was puzzled. He said he fasts for Easter and Christmas, and at that point, I was so confused and lost interest in the whole thing, since he might have been Messianic and I didn't want to hear more.

Thanks for that compliment. And, I think you did good to tune out any Messianic shpiel.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:47 PM

27,963 posts, read 15,050,737 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what exactly a "Jewish Christian" is , but it's always interesting to connect with different people and hear their stories about themselves. Sorry about the problems you've had where you live. Don't let it get you down – and keep on bageling!
Isn’t that like the Shasta soda dude?...

Old 04-14-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Isn’t that like the Shasta soda dude?...

I don't know whether Shasta has used that picture (a lot of people have adapted it in one way or another). It's from R. Crumb's famous underground comix art "Keep On Truckin'..." It's kind of a hippie thing. I just added the "Keep On Bagelin'..." words to it.

Old 07-06-2019, 10:14 AM

12,710 posts, read 3,222,369 times
Quote:
Thus proving Lenny Bruce's quote: "Even if you are Catholic, if you live in New York you're Jewish."

"... That's great, it starts with an earthquake, birds and snakes, an aeroplane, and Lenny Bruce is not afraid."

Recognize those lyrics?

The full quote is “Even if you are Catholic, if you live in New York you're Jewish. If you live in Butte, Montana, you are going to be goyish even if you are Jewish.”

An interesting quote too given Lenny's attempt to impersonate a priest while soliciting donations for a leper colony, keeping most of the money for himself...

In the "Ask A Jew" thread, I mentioned a show my wife got us watching just recently, "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel." We're finding it quite amusing. Lenny Bruce is featured early in the show and the star performs much like Lenny Bruce did, comic spontaneity and free association. (Not quite as crude as Lenny but the show is not suitable for children).

Bageling sounds all well and good I suppose. I specifically recall a time when I am sure I was bageled. I simply didn't respond affirmatively, but we became fast friends anyway. I don't think it's something only Jewish people do either. I'm not sure it's all that different from people who wear MAGA hats or Rainbow pins or sports shwag. There are obvious differences, of course, but ultimately people like to associate with "their own" no matter who they are. I just wish the inclination among more people was more all-inclusive rather than exclusive and that we all just get along regardless our differences.

Human beings such as they are, however, that wish is all too often a source of disappointment...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism