U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 06:43 PM

647 posts, read 68,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I don't think it's something only Jewish people do either. I'm not sure it's all that different from people who wear MAGA hats or Rainbow pins or sports shwag.

The difference is that genuine bageling requires a certain cleverness and subtlety for communicating Jewishness that might only be recognizable to another Jew. There is no subtlety in MAGA hats, rainbow pins, or sports swag.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 10:38 AM

12,897 posts, read 3,276,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
The difference is that genuine bageling requires a certain cleverness and subtlety for communicating Jewishness that might only be recognizable to another Jew. There is no subtlety in MAGA hats, rainbow pins, or sports swag.
Ah! So something more like the secret handshake? Again not really my thing, but subtle or not, still boils down to that same human inclination to be "cliquish" for lack of a better word. Or maybe clannish is a better word, that all tends toward what I think works to separate and divide people in ways that cause unnecessary ill feelings and hostilities. Hard to blame anyone in any case when we're all inclined this way as humans. The primary story of religion that also of course is loaded with similar defining rituals, both subtle and not-at-all subtle. Again just not for me, though I get it!

I'm more for a focus on what brings people together no matter who they are or where they are from. Like maybe comedy tends to do for example, or music, or love. The universal draws that bring people together rather than separate or apart. I guess I'm just not the bageling sort...

Old 07-07-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Ah! So something more like the secret handshake? Again not really my thing, but subtle or not, still boils down to that same human inclination to be "cliquish" for lack of a better word. Or maybe clannish is a better word, that all tends toward what I think works to separate and divide people in ways that cause unnecessary ill feelings and hostilities. Hard to blame anyone in any case when we're all inclined this way as humans. The primary story of religion that also of course is loaded with similar defining rituals, both subtle and not-at-all subtle. Again just not for me, though I get it!
Well, I suppose that's one way of looking at it, albeit a somewhat negative one. Please bear in mind that Judaism is kind of like an extended family. Loving one's brothers and sisters doesn't mean that one needs to hate other people's families.

Quote:
I'm more for a focus on what brings people together no matter who they are or where they are from. Like maybe comedy tends to do for example, or music, or love. The universal draws that bring people together rather than separate or apart. I guess I'm just not the bageling sort...
Good food brings people together, too. Jewish-Muslim relations on Long Island

Old 07-08-2019, 10:51 AM

12,897 posts, read 3,276,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Well, I suppose that's one way of looking at it, albeit a somewhat negative one. Please bear in mind that Judaism is kind of like an extended family. Loving one's brothers and sisters doesn't mean that one needs to hate other people's families.

Good food brings people together, too. Jewish-Muslim relations on Long Island
Put it this way (if I wasn't clear enough before)...

I'm all for understanding, tolerance and inclusiveness among all people (good). Not so much exclusiveness, separatism and cliquishness (bad).

Indeed, food is another good one, especially when we can all break bread together in peace without so much focus on what makes us different. Big fan of food too I am, of all sorts!

Old 07-08-2019, 05:59 PM

3,968 posts, read 3,354,369 times
Quote:

I'm all for understanding, tolerance and inclusiveness among all people (good). Not so much exclusiveness, separatism and cliquishness (bad)
Iím curious. How do you know those things are good and bad? From what source do you make those moral judgements?

Old 07-08-2019, 06:56 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,437,161 times
Quote:

I'm all for understanding, tolerance and inclusiveness among all people (good). Not so much exclusiveness, separatism and cliquishness (bad).

Indeed, food is another good one, especially when we can all break bread together in peace without so much focus on what makes us different. Big fan of food too I am, of all sorts!
I doubt anyone here is exclusive or cliquey. You just don't go up to people and ask if they're Jewish. Even if you're Jewish. It's viewed as rather rude and sometimes dangerous.

I'm not sure what your point is in your last few posts, but just say what you're trying to say and be done with it, please.

Old 07-08-2019, 06:57 PM

Just a reminder: This topic is about "bageling." I posted it as a fun topic. If it's going to devolve into something else, then I'm going to ask a Mod to close the topic.

Thanks, everyone.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:04 PM

You're right. I don't bagel very much, but I was surprised and pleased to learn about the history of the Cohens and the Vulcan salute. I love Mr. Spock!

Old 07-08-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
You're right. I don't bagel very much, but I was surprised and pleased to learn about the history of the Cohens and the Vulcan salute. I love Mr. Spock!

Leonard Nimoy was also fluent in Yiddish. I don't think that Mr. Spock ever spoke any Yiddish in the TV show, though. LOL

Old 07-08-2019, 07:09 PM

That would have been AWESOME. I would love to hear Leonard Nimoy speak Yiddish. Maybe it's on Youtube..

I'm learning a joke in Yiddish. Our Rabbi, who loves jokes, is helping me perfect it. Although I'd love to tell it in person, when I get good at it, I'll type it here once I modify it a little bit (it's a clean joke either way, but needs a little revision).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism