U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 07:11 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,437,540 times

Advertisements

Oh, you know it! YouTube has it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 07:12 PM

654 posts, read 69,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
That would have been AWESOME. I would love to hear Leonard Nimoy speak Yiddish. Maybe it's on Youtube..

It is! His Yiddish is amazing!

Quote:
I'm learning a joke in Yiddish. Our Rabbi, who loves jokes, is helping me perfect it. Although I'd love to tell it in person, when I get good at it, I'll type it here once I modify it a little bit (it's a clean joke either way, but needs a little revision).
This I've gotta see!

EDIT: I've been hanging out over on the Games forum, and participating in a game over there where people list colors from A-Z. Just about every color name has been used already, so I'm adding colors in Yiddish. Haha!

Old 07-08-2019, 07:59 PM

15,000 posts, read 5,030,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Well, I suppose that's one way of looking at it, albeit a somewhat negative one. Please bear in mind that Judaism is kind of like an extended family. Loving one's brothers and sisters doesn't mean that one needs to hate other people's families.

Good food brings people together, too. Jewish-Muslim relations on Long Island
I always talk about the family reunions, I don't know of anyone else in history that has had such big family reunions as they did at the 3 feasts, and that is what they were,'' Family reunions.'' Family looks after family that if you were a traveler, all you gotta do is find family and they would take you in. Such a sweet global concept, that no matter where you are, you find family.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:30 PM

12,921 posts, read 3,279,393 times
Quote:
Just a reminder: This topic is about "bageling." I posted it as a fun topic. If it's going to devolve into something else, then I'm going to ask a Mod to close the topic.

Thanks, everyone.
Seems that did it...

No worries. I sometimes follow "trains of thought" that follow others as many times other comments tend to veer perhaps a little off topic and then so do I.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:37 PM

12,921 posts, read 3,279,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I’m curious. How do you know those things are good and bad? From what source do you make those moral judgements?
Thanks for asking, but I'm concerned your question may also be off topic. Still, of interest to me anyway and always glad to answer any question posed to me. However, I'm afraid the answer is a little more complicated than a simple comment can do justice, and if my comment is deleted anyway, the effort will again sadly be all for not...

Simply put, however (and/or to give this a quick shot anyway), the source of my moral judgments -- or judgments about right vs wrong, better rather than worse -- are a result of my life experience and what that experience has taught me, over the course of some 60+ years.

PS: I looked back to the beginning of this thread, and I saw your comment about your mahjong question or story that I also found interesting and funny. For my last birthday, my son and his girlfriend bought me a beautiful mahjong set that my wife and I have very much enjoyed learning to play...

Old 07-09-2019, 03:28 PM

654 posts, read 69,528 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNm9EQ52SBA

Old 07-10-2019, 02:39 PM

8,824 posts, read 10,741,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Put it this way (if I wasn't clear enough before)...

I'm all for understanding, tolerance and inclusiveness among all people (good). Not so much exclusiveness, separatism and cliquishness (bad).

Indeed, food is another good one, especially when we can all break bread together in peace without so much focus on what makes us different. Big fan of food too I am, of all sorts!

More for flip than you

Exclusiveness/inclusiveness is complicated - inclusive for WHAT? My shul welcomes gentiles to attend our services, eat at oneg, etc. We do not count them in a minyan, or invite them to lead prayers from the bimah (even when they are parents of a bar/bat mitzvah) We welcome gentiles to shabbat dinner, but we do not conduct interfaith weddings. Though we welcome interfaith couples to learn Judaism. We are MORE inclusive towards different Jews who have often been marginalized in communities like our own - Jews of color, disabled Jews, ***** Jews.

Tolerance is a useful quality in the kind of society we wish to live in. I know this from my understanding of political science and history.

Cliquishness is not so much a moral position as an annoying interpersonal trait. One can believe in a certain amount of seperatism as a practical need, without being "cliquish".

We know these things by making moral judgements - treating the other as we wish to be treated - a position affirmed by Kant, but also by Chazal (our sages of blessed memory). By the Aggadah, and Tanach. And by great Jewish thinkers like Buber and Levinas. and then we apply them using our knowledge of history.

We do not attempt to derive these from torah using halachic formalism, but recognize that an halachic position contrary to morality is problematic, and requires a reexamination of the halachic questions.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:42 PM

8,824 posts, read 10,741,498 times
Quote:
These cues can be anything from casually inserting a Jewish word or expression into your conversation with someone whom you think might be Jewish, to wearing some article of clothing that identifies you as Jewish.
I don't really do that. I find it more interesting to insert a Jewish word with my gentile friends, to start cultural conversations.

I spend enough time in shul, I have enough Jewish friends (aside from the Jews I meet in other circles) At this stage in my life seeking out yidden is not a high priority. Though I am not above a game of Jewish geography.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:44 PM

28,032 posts, read 15,130,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Though I am not above a game of Jewish geography.
Where’s Israel?...

Old 07-11-2019, 12:55 PM

12,073 posts, read 16,821,454 times
Most of the time, I'm wearing a piece of Jewish jewelry - I'm partial to the hamsa or shema, but I have a bunch of Star of Davids as well. My grandmother has started to give me all of her Judaica, which I'm proud to wear.

My involvement with my alma mater, Brandeis University, is a big part of my life and that of course leads to tie-ins. My friends joke that if I'm at a gathering of 50 people, I will find the one person whose uncle's girlfriend went to Brandeis and become BFFs.

On the exclusivity of bageling, I think of one of my favorite Lenny Bruce bits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD6Oi2kySSU

Leonard Nimoy is Jewish, "Kiss me I'm Jewish" is scary goyish. Everything bagels are Jewish. Blueberry bagels, goyish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism