U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 01:52 PM

654 posts, read 69,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Leonard Nimoy is Jewish, "Kiss me I'm Jewish" is scary goyish. Everything bagels are Jewish. Blueberry bagels, goyish.

LOL!

Captain Kirk is goyish (even though William Shatner is actually Jewish).
Bookstores are Jewish. Cyber cafes are goyish.
Speed dating is goyish (even when Jews do it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 09:14 AM

12,921 posts, read 3,279,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Just a reminder: This topic is about "bageling." I posted it as a fun topic. If it's going to devolve into something else, then I'm going to ask a Mod to close the topic.

Thanks, everyone.
Just for the record...

I think I revived this thread since going dormant back in April of this year, after you directed me to the topic. All "fun" for me in any case, and interesting too. I'm always sorry when others don't feel the same way for whatever their reasons...

Old 07-12-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
You're right. I don't bagel very much, but I was surprised and pleased to learn about the history of the Cohens and the Vulcan salute. I love Mr. Spock!
Me too.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
You're right. I don't bagel very much, but I was surprised and pleased to learn about the history of the Cohens and the Vulcan salute. I love Mr. Spock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Me too.

Me three.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:54 AM

56,445 posts, read 54,858,546 times
Deleted several off-topic posts, including my own. Let's all re-read the OP and keep to the topic.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Deleted several off-topic posts, including my own. Let's all re-read the OP and keep to the topic.
Ouch! I know questioning a moderator is something like wanting to talk to the Wizard of Oz, but is just a little off topic such a bad thing? Is being a fan of Dr. Spock on topic? Are other comments not so precisely on topic not born from comments that were, and do they not offer something of "flavor" to every thread much like condiments might do for food? Like maybe cream cheese on a bagel?

So bad to let them be in any case? Is the concern a thread might get too long?

May I also ask (and I think this is related to the topic and comments), do you happen to be Jewish?

Old 07-12-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Ouch! I know questioning a moderator is something like wanting to talk to the Wizard of Oz, but is just a little off topic such a bad thing? Is being a fan of Dr. Spock on topic? Are other comments not so precisely on topic not born from comments that were, and do they not offer something of "flavor" to every thread much like condiments might do for food? Like maybe cream cheese on a bagel?

So bad to let them be in any case? Is the concern a thread might get too long?

May I also ask (and I think this is related to the topic and comments), do you happen to be Jewish?

You can blame me, LearnMe. I requested that my topic be closed when I saw that you were stirring up another debate on mixed marriage. That's got nothing to do with this topic, and it looked to me like you were just going to continue trying to derail this topic. Too tired to respond to you further. Go find some other Jews to bait.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
You can blame me, LearnMe. I requested that my topic be closed when I saw that you were stirring up another debate on mixed marriage. That's got nothing to do with this topic, and it looked to me like you were just going to continue trying to derail this topic. Too tired to respond to you further. Go find some other Jews to bait.
Sorry. I've started a few threads of my own and read many a comment I might not necessarily agree with or approve of for what I would consider far more serious reasons, but I have never even come close to the thought of getting a moderator involved. Just not my nature, but it is my nature to recognize how different people are just that. Different.

I've got no interest in "baiting" anyone, unless that means inviting their exchange of opinion, as I think I was doing with someone else in that comment about mixed marriage. I don't really understand how different that is from the topic of your thread either, or entirely unrelated, but it's your thread and the "sensitivity" is profound in these respects.

I too get tired of dealing with the likes in some cases, but I'd never feel inclined toward restricting anyone from commenting about whatever they want to comment about, as long as it's a civil, mature and honest effort.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:29 PM

256 posts, read 330,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I got written up at work once (was working for a French company) for asking a new peer if she or her mother plays mahjong. So Iím pretty careful now. But like JB, as a yarmulke wearing Yid, itís more frequent that Iím being bagled.
Why in the world would you get written up for asking that question?

Old 07-28-2019, 07:55 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,437,540 times
My Rabbi will sometimes do the Spock/Cohen sign when I see him, because we are both Jewish and love Spock and science fiction. I think I will start doing that to people and see how it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism