U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 10:31 AM

583 posts, read 58,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
(Also, can anyone recommend a kosher-for-P breakfast cereal? The ones I've tried taste like cardboard, and it's a punishment to get through a bowl.)

Manischewitz makes cereal products that are kosher for Passover. Check out their matzoh granola (that you can order from Amazon):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PWTTQLL...4a9ca45aa&th=1

and Sunny O's:

https://www.amazon.com/Manischewitz-...GBCCCTWGE&th=1

I haven't tried them, so I can't tell you whether these particular Manischewitz products are tasty or not. I don't much care for their wine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 02:29 PM

14,828 posts, read 4,973,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
MQ, just for taking the trouble to look up about kitniyot, you deserve an honorary Jewish name that is an anagram of your screen name.

Yemina Q. Gutheim
= I am Mightyqueen

Yemina (ימינה): Hebrew name meaning "right hand," signifying strength.

Gutheim (גוטהיים): Yiddish/Ashkenazic surname, meaning "from a good home."
Now I am going o call Queeny,'' Yemina,'' I really like that and I wonder if Yemina is derived from a female Benjamin. Doesn't Benjamin mean,'' Son of the right hand?''

I am so jealous Queeny, let me just try it out,'' If Y'all see Yemina, tell her I am looking for her, just tell Yemina to hollar out and I will hear her.''

Old 04-18-2019, 02:38 PM

3,368 posts, read 653,970 times
Quote:
Manischewitz makes cereal products that are kosher for Passover. Check out their matzoh granola (that you can order from Amazon):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PWTTQLL...4a9ca45aa&th=1

and Sunny O's:

https://www.amazon.com/Manischewitz-...GBCCCTWGE&th=1

I haven't tried them, so I can't tell you whether these particular Manischewitz products are tasty or not. I don't much care for their wine.
Thanks, Rachel.

And Manischewitz wine? Difficult for me to get through four cups of that.....even their "dry" version is way too sweet.

Also, who here knew you could have WHITE wine for the Seder? (Probably everyone but me!) I learned that little tidbit at last year's Chabad Seder.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:50 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,714,285 times
1. I think there is some disagreement that green beans were ever kitniyot

2. If keeping minhagim (Customs that approach the force of law) is important to you, then don't eat them

3. Some people eat "new world" kitniyot - items like corn, that were not known to the rabbis when the idea of kitniyot was established but that were later assimilated to the concept/

Personally I will try to avoid old world kitniyot on pesach where possible, but when its inconvenient to avoid them I will eat them, and I would certainly eat them when a guest in a sephardic home. And I will eat derivatives of them, mostly.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Now I am going o call Queeny,'' Yemina,'' I really like that and I wonder if Yemina is derived from a female Benjamin. Doesn't Benjamin mean,'' Son of the right hand?''

Well spotted, Hannibal!

Quote:
I am so jealous Queeny, let me just try it out,'' If Y'all see Yemina, tell her I am looking for her, just tell Yemina to hollar out and I will hear her.''
Aw, don't be jealous. If you like, I'll anagram a Jewish name for you, too. I can anagram something out of your screen name, or even your actual name. If you do choose to use your actual name, I would only ask that you scramble up the letters in your name for privacy.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Thanks, Rachel.

And Manischewitz wine? Difficult for me to get through four cups of that.....even their "dry" version is way too sweet.

I know, right? That stuff sets my teeth on edge.

Quote:
Also, who here knew you could have WHITE wine for the Seder? (Probably everyone but me!) I learned that little tidbit at last year's Chabad Seder.
I'm bringing a bottle of k-for-P white wine (Baron Herzog's chenin blanc) to our Community Seder. It's one of my favorites!

Old 04-18-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Well spotted, Hannibal!

Aw, don't be jealous. If you like, I'll anagram a Jewish name for you, too. I can anagram something out of your screen name, or even your actual name. If you do choose to use your actual name, I would only ask that you scramble up the letters in your name for privacy.
My first name is Joel, but many people have been blessed with new names.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
My first name is Joel, but many people have been blessed with new names.

Well, just "Joel" doesn't really give me enough letters to work with. So I'll do your screen name instead.

Anshil Bnaia Vulf
= Hannibal Flavius

Anshil (אנשיל): Yiddish form of the Hebrew name Asher, meaning "blessed, fortunate."

Bnaia (בניה): Hebrew name, meaning "G-d builds up." In the Bible, Bnaia was a commander in King David's army.

Vulf (וואלף): Yiddish, meaning "wolf." This is a symbolic name for those who identify with the Tribe of Benjamin, which is symbolized by a wolf.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Well, just "Joel" doesn't really give me enough letters to work with. So I'll do your screen name instead.

Anshil Bnaia Vulf
= Hannibal Flavius

Anshil (אנשיל): Yiddish form of the Hebrew name Asher, meaning "blessed, fortunate."

Bnaia (בניה): Hebrew name, meaning "G-d builds up." In the Bible, Bnaia was a commander in King David's army.

Vulf (וואלף): Yiddish, meaning "wolf." This is a symbolic name for those who identify with the Tribe of Benjamin, which is symbolized by a wolf.
That is just awesome, and it really is a big deal to me to wake up on Unleavened bread on the Eve of Passover and a Jew gives me an awesome new name. I feel like that like that little beast in the ring who was waiting on somebody to present him some clothes to gain his freedom lol.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:15 PM

27,985 posts, read 15,057,939 times
Quote:
That is just awesome, and it really is a big deal to me to wake up on Unleavened bread on the Eve of Passover and a Jew gives me an awesome new name. I feel like that like that little beast in the ring who was waiting on somebody to present him some clothes to gain his freedom lol.
Do what?....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism