U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 02:12 PM

27,954 posts, read 15,043,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
It's been awhile and I don't remember which sub we had it in, but we did cover this subject.
It’s very vague to me...BTW, would you consider broaching the subject of the use of the term “Yushke” for some of the new people here, I seem to recall something about a poster who used it and another poster reprimanding him for his use of the word, for it being derogatory...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Plus there's an expense incurred. The mikvot that I know of all charge a fee for their use.

So, yeah, this is kind of how I picture these do-it-yourself type "converts":

Eh?...

Old 05-15-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalhevet View Post
Yes, there was a cost of the mikvah... there was also a cost incurred with classes, with books, investing in kosher food, getting the kids involved in Sunday school, camp, etc. The temple does everything they can to subsidize a lot of stuff with scholarships, especially now that the conversions are complete and we are members of the Temple in good standing, but it wasn't a cheep or simple process by any means. 100% worth it though!! When something matters to you, you find a way. <3
You’re Reform?...

Old 05-15-2019, 03:28 PM

558 posts, read 54,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalhevet View Post
Rachel, I tried to high five (or whatever it is) your post but the system wouldn't let me. Love the cartoon!

I thought it might give you some smiles. The nonsensical "Hebrew/Yiddish" that the character sings just cracks me up. But that's how I see the messianics. They're not Jewish yet they fancy themselves to be Jews, and then suddenly -- "poof!" -- they are magically Jewish! They even sing and dance like Jews! (though not so much, really. lol)

The messianic movement seems (to me) to be something like a fetishizing of Judaism.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:03 PM

21,353 posts, read 24,089,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
It’s very vague to me...BTW, would you consider broaching the subject of the use of the term “Yushke” for some of the new people here, I seem to recall something about a poster who used it and another poster reprimanding him for his use of the word, for it being derogatory...
My adversary used it and Woodrow sat him down for a little talking to after I explained it to Woodrow. It's more than one word as there is another word that goes along with it. It translated to 'Jesus, Son of Panthera'. Yoshke Panderik (יאָשקע פּאַנדריק). People who don't know, think it's Yoshke Padre (Holy Father), who think it's in relation to a Father and not a Roman soldier.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:24 PM

558 posts, read 54,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
My adversary used it and Woodrow sat him down for a little talking to after I explained it to Woodrow. It's more than one word as there is another word that goes along with it. It translated to 'Jesus, Son of Panthera'. Yoshke Panderik (יאָשקע פּאַנדריק). People who don't know, think it's Yoshke Padre (Holy Father), who think it's in relation to a Father and not a Roman soldier.

It's the additional "Panderik" that makes the term derogatory, as it recalls an old tale that Jesus was supposedly the son of a Roman soldier named Panthera, with whom Mary supposedly had sex.

But the name "Yoshke" is (as I stated earlier) simply a diminutive form of Yehoshua (Joshua in English). It's like calling Jesus by the nickname of "Josh" -- which may be a little disrespectful because of a presumption of familiarity, but is certainly not derogatory.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:30 PM

392 posts, read 122,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
You should probably ask the Christians. We're as dumbfounded by it as you are.
I tried to add reputation to this post, but I must have agreed with JB recently. I will read further in the thread and possibly add rep to other posts. Who knows? I may be able to come back later and add rep to this post.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:49 PM

801 posts, read 592,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

To answer the question, I think you need to take a step back and ask "HAS antisemitism persisted among Christians?" Yes, antisemitism persists, but the question is worded to sound as if it is the default among Christians to be antisemitic rather than the exception, and Christians who are not antisemitic might bristle at the implication and see an accusation.

You could also say that some Christians would not consider themselves antisemitic, but still, they likely have incorrect perceptions about Jews born of ignorance, not malice. There are others who would not see what they consider their duty to try to convert you as antisemitism, although personally, I think that falls under the category.

At any rate, consider re-posting. I think it's a conversation worth having provided it remains respectful.
Apologies if the question came across as accusing a majority of Christians of antisemitism. My intent was to understand any deeper "reasons" for the hate displayed by those Christians who are antisemitic.
I will consider posting in the Christianity forum. Still, the victims usually know more about this sort of thing than the perpetrators do or may care to admit publicly. I don't expect an antisemitic Christian to post the "reasons"... maybe they will surprise me. ("Reasons" in quote because those will be some made-up grievances, I am sure.)

Old 05-15-2019, 07:27 PM

21,353 posts, read 24,089,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfa-ish View Post
Apologies if the question came across as accusing a majority of Christians of antisemitism. My intent was to understand any deeper "reasons" for the hate displayed by those Christians who are antisemitic.
I will consider posting in the Christianity forum. Still, the victims usually know more about this sort of thing than the perpetrators do or may care to admit publicly. I don't expect an antisemitic Christian to post the "reasons"... maybe they will surprise me. ("Reasons" in quote because those will be some made-up grievances, I am sure.)
In order to understand it, one has to go back 2019 years and go through historical markers and how it's morphed from century to century. It's all centered on European Christians. Two paths started it. One path was blaming Jews for the death of Jesus and the other path is revised version of Christianity occurred when Christianity removed all the Jewish related holidays and changed the day of rest from Saturday in Judaism to G-d's day on Sunday. Rewriting the Old Testament and creating the New Testament. Many of these Christians are generational and create new reasons to reinforce it.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
It's the additional "Panderik" that makes the term derogatory, as it recalls an old tale that Jesus was supposedly the son of a Roman soldier named Panthera, with whom Mary supposedly had sex.

But the name "Yoshke" is (as I stated earlier) simply a diminutive form of Yehoshua (Joshua in English). It's like calling Jesus by the nickname of "Josh" -- which may be a little disrespectful because of a presumption of familiarity, but is certainly not derogatory.
According to a google search, it can be...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism